Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1W ~405nm Laser?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hon1nbo
Mon Jun 13 2011, 07:22PM Print
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
hey guys, I picked up a 1W laser at a hamfest recently (little bit of a rip off for the price not to be mentioned, but I spent a little extra knowing the vendor is in the US and regularly at hamfests and left a phone number). Also seeing the laser in person and getting a feel for it's build quality is nice compared to eBay.
It is in a small flashlight style package with a rechargeable battery. It is surprisingly well built, even if Chinese (very study, good heat dissipation, very smooth and gentle focusing adjustment, and with the removal of a spacer accepts standard Surefire batteries, and a threaded aperture barrel for use with Fiber). The only issue with its construction is the use of a "push on/push off" rather than momentary type button. I actually realized, before I bought it, that a surefire push button could be easily modified for this laser as a layer of safety.

Now, here is my problem: The label on the laser says it is between 400-500nm which is not too specific (a generic label). I am fairly certain it is a 405nm due to the response of UV sensitive materials I have, but it may just have some side spectrum just far enough to trigger it. I have somewhere a UV light meter I have used with 405 lasers before, but have to find it.

The beam itself in air appears more blue than what I could see with my previous 405 lasers, but violet enough that I wonder.

Maybe it is an oddball 432nm? I am not sure. I am hoping that someone here can help me figure out a way to test it.

I am still debating what to do with it. I could have gotten a 445nm "true blue" for the same price (and with googles) but I never see these at this power with UV output in large amounts (as compared to 405 which is largely UV) and after seeing some UV laser PCB work and the fact I am building a CNC machine, I thought I might put a laser on the machine so that not only can it mill a PCB but also maybe make the traces, and etch a few materials for projects like electronics enclosure boxes.

I can't find too much information on 1W 405 lasers, always getting 445nm results or a 1W 445nm driver with support for a 200mW 405nm. Anyone here know much about them?

-Jimmy
klugesmith
Mon Jun 13 2011, 07:42PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
You can determine the wavelength by measuring the diffraction pattern with an inexpensive (and may be unusually coarse) grating between laser and target surface. If the grating pitch isn't exactly known, you can use a laser with known wavelength as a reference.

A fine wire screen (such as used in fuel filters) can serve as a grating and not, I expect, be burned up by the 1W laser. I can send you a bit of suitable screening.

With other grating materials, you may need to turn down the power or use some optics to spread the beam without overly expanding the spot on target surface.

A source of free gratings for demonstrations is the linear encoder ribbon found in many discarded inkjet printers.
In USA they are typically 150 lines per inch, but you can trust it's a round number and can directly measure it with some care. For example, juxtapose it with a reference scale & make enlarged photograph or photocopy on which you can count the lines.
Another source, of course, is CD's or other optical disks. You can look up the standard pitch, and/or use a wavelength reference laser.

Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Jun 13 2011, 08:14PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
I wouldn't trust the 1W rating on it; 1 sketchy Chinese laser watt is probably a couple hundred mW.
Hon1nbo
Mon Jun 13 2011, 08:24PM
Klugesmith wrote ...

You can determine the wavelength by measuring the diffraction pattern with an inexpensive (and may be unusually coarse) grating between laser and target surface. If the grating pitch isn't exactly known, you can use a laser with known wavelength as a reference.

A fine wire screen (such as used in fuel filters) can serve as a grating and not, I expect, be burned up by the 1W laser. I can send you a bit of suitable screening.

With other grating materials, you may need to turn down the power or use some optics to spread the beam without overly expanding the spot on target surface.

A source of free gratings for demonstrations is the linear encoder ribbon found in many discarded inkjet printers.
In USA they are typically 150 lines per inch, but you can trust it's a round number and can directly measure it with some care. For example, juxtapose it with a reference scale & make enlarged photograph or photocopy on which you can count the lines.
Another source, of course, is CD's or other optical disks. You can look up the standard pitch, and/or use a wavelength reference laser.

Thanks a lot, I think I'll try the linear encoder ribbon, and I have some other known lasers I can test it with. The focusing lens on this works very well for un-focusing and focusing so I could probably start once I get home later this week if all goes well. (in fact, I've decided to take advantage of that as a safety measure, leaving the focusing as far off as possible when stored).

bwang wrote ...

I wouldn't trust the 1W rating on it; 1 sketchy Chinese laser watt is probably a couple hundred mW.

I know and trust this vendor, and I have had lasers in the 405 range in the past with a couple hundred mW and this is much stronger. I actually never could get matches to light in under five seconds, and this did it in about one second on average (if focused of course).

I also found some more information and apparently 445nm still has a violet tint and fluorescence excitement under certain conditions? I don't want to stare at this laser obviously to try to figure it out, until I get some higher rated lenses or goggles. Right now I just found the focus from not being in the light path and watching for smoke from tape up close on the laser.
I will do more tests once I get some better goggles and possibly a few extra sets once I am able to, I got the laser the same day that I went to a beach house for the week (I did get to sorta start the barbeque with it though :)

I also may talk to my university about using their laser space for a safe testing and project environment, as I won't need their equipment.

-Jimmy

EDITED for another post at the same time as mine.
Adam Munich
Mon Jun 13 2011, 09:47PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Can you see the beam? If so than it's a 445.

Like this: Link2

I need to get another one :-/
Hon1nbo
Mon Jun 13 2011, 09:55PM
Grenadier wrote ...

Can you see the beam? If so than it's a 445.

Like this: Link2

I need to get another one :-/

Yes, I can see it very well, but I have been reading that, at a significant power level, the beam is visible with 405 lasers as well due to the fluorescence of particles in air.
I am suspecting that, irregardless of fluorescent particles in air, it is a 445nm (either way for the price I paid it is about right anyways except glasses were not included, but I liked being able to hold it first), as I have now found a few things that are neither fluorescent nor had been drenched in saltwater leaving changing illumination properties.

Still, there is a lot of UV coming out or maybe my UV sensitive powders and items are just easily stimulated by near-UV blue spectrum?

-Jimmy
Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Jun 13 2011, 09:58PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
"It lights matches faster" is no substitute for a power meter.
"It looks purple" is no substitute for a spectrometer.
What are you worried about? It sounds like a nice laser either way :) If you want to do CNC photoresist get one of the cheap 405's off Ebay and mount it on your CNC.
Hon1nbo
Mon Jun 13 2011, 10:08PM
bwang wrote ...

"It lights matches faster" is no substitute for a power meter.
"It looks purple" is no substitute for a spectrometer.
What are you worried about? It sounds like a nice laser either way :) If you want to do CNC photoresist get one of the cheap 405's off Ebay and mount it on your CNC.

I get that, but it is a significant improvement. I'm only estimating things until I can get back home and setup tests.
I was just hoping that with some details someone might point me in the right direction.

As for the CNC, doing things like etching ABS plastic Face-plates for electronics projects is more what I want, but if it were UV based or has enough UV output then I could do photoresist with an attenuator

(BTW, when I say "match" I mean a Hurricane Safety Match which I have had extreme difficulty in lighting with lasers in the past, of any wavelength).

-Jimmy
dmg
Tue Jun 14 2011, 11:47AM
dmg Registered Member #2628 Joined: Fri Jan 15 2010, 12:23AM
Got pictures of it?

From what you describe anyway it is a 445nm, they are not quite purple, but not quite blue like a 473nm DPSS.

They are more idndigo/blue with a purple kinda glow around it.

Do you have an actual 405nm pen laser or something of sorts? holding 405nm and 445nm side by side really shows the differance.

This is a half decent beam shot of the color of one of my 445nm, never mind the big purple splash, it is definatly blue/indigo in person, but there is a very weak purple glow about the room, despite bieng a dark blue dot/beam.
While 405nm is better at exciting things with UV, 445nm can do the same to some materials too (will excite phosphor screens, etc).
but not as effectivly as 405nm.

Also, of the "445nm" diodes, there are pretty much 2 common ones floating around, the A-130s and A-140s. (as extracted from the projectors).
The A-130s are of lower power and have a slightly lower wavelenth (a few nm IIRC). while the A-140s are more blue. (There is also an A-150, but its the same die as the 140).

So you probably gotten an laser that was built with an A-130 diode too?

This is a 445nm with an A-140:

Yours look the same?

This is again just a rough idea, as said already, this will not replace a spetrometer or a power meter.
ConKbot of Doom
Tue Jun 14 2011, 12:57PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
The 445s definitely excited UV reactive stuff, I put a single lens in front of mine and put on my goggles, and it still makes black-light sensitive stuff light up. Not as bright, but the OD7 goggles kill all the 445 and make it easy to see the fluorescense.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: