Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
06/20 oxodoes (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Alternative Shielding

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Thu Apr 28 2011, 04:23PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Well it's not complete, but it is capable of producing x-rays. If it's nice outside later I'll try the lead nitrate/acetate thing and the iron filings thing, but I have no lead or galena powder.
klugesmith
Thu Apr 28 2011, 07:30PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
cedric wrote ...

what's about sand-bag?it's not expensive ,non toxic and it does protect against x-ray...
by the way ,I use lead shielding for x-ray as well but I don't like to use lead directly after the tube because lead reflect also a lot of x-ray .I think an absorbing material like dense wood before the shield can help to reduce secondary emission...
I agree regarding shielding, but have doubts about scattering. Don't x-ray cassettes or tabletops have lead backing, to avoid getting a backscattered image of structures on the far side of the film?

If you look up material prices and attenuation coefficients, figuring dollars per half-thickness per unit area, then for a dental-tube x-ray spectrum steel costs less than lead. Earth materials such as ordinary concrete and sand cost even less.

As the spectrum gets harder, the balance tilts toward favoring higher-Z materials.
For radioisotope gamma source enclosures that can be hand-carried, uranium metal becomes an economical choice. (The price of U3O8 took a plunge after Fukushima but is back above $60/pound.) Let's not talk about proper disposal of U waste. smile

James
Thu Apr 28 2011, 07:40PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
Lead sheet is not terribly expensive, McMaster Carr has it in a variety of thicknesses and you don't need very much of it to shield a dental tube. It's a small price to pay when it comes to protecting yourself from radiation.

Those on a really tight budget I suppose could harvest the lead plates from an old car battery and cast it into the shapes required. I've cast lead in an old saucepan over a propane camp stove but personally I would just buy a sheet of the stuff.
magnet18
Thu Apr 28 2011, 08:14PM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
Grenadier wrote ...

Well it's not complete, but it is capable of producing x-rays. If it's nice outside later I'll try the lead nitrate/acetate thing and the iron filings thing, but I have no lead or galena powder.

Please post pictures... I love pictures... especially of x-rays...
Adam Munich
Fri Apr 29 2011, 12:59AM
Well It's raining... so no testing tonight.

I had an idea, just take lead shot and sew up little "beanbags". That seems like the most cost effective option, especially if you make your own shot (since all you need to do is drop some lead down a long tube into water). A 99 foot tube isn't needed since the shot doesn't need to be perfectly round. Hmm... I think I may have just found a use for the 100lbs of lead I still have left.
magnet18
Fri Apr 29 2011, 01:08AM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
Grenadier wrote ...

Well It's raining... so no testing tonight.

I had an idea, just take lead shot and sew up little "beanbags". That seems like the most cost effective option, especially if you make your own shot (since all you need to do is drop some lead down a long tube into water). A 99 foot tube isn't needed since the shot doesn't need to be perfectly round. Hmm... I think I may have just found a use for the 100lbs of lead I still have left.

old socks?
Sulaiman
Sat Apr 30 2011, 05:21AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Just curious;

why lead ?

wouldn't other (less toxic) materials work?
steel, concrete, aluminium etc.?
Adam Munich
Sat Apr 30 2011, 05:36AM
They would, but because they are less dense more of it is needed. I haven't tested anything yet, mainly because I got caught up in writing this. Link2 It's one of my many unpublished guides...
Bored Chemist
Sat Apr 30 2011, 12:53PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Aargh!
Why is it that people think
1 lead is particularly dense?
2 The density is the reason why it's a good Xray shield?

An atom of lead weighs roughly twice as much as an atom of silver yet the two metals have about the same density.
That means that the lead atoms are not actually densely packed at all.
Another way to look at it is that gold has atoms that are a little lighter than lead, but it's nearly twice as dense.

The big advantage to using lead is that it has a large nuclear charge and so it scatters Xrays well. The scattering cross section varies as the square of the atomic number. That's what makes lead a good choice in spite of its low density. (It's also relatively cheap and easy to work with).

Other materials are sometimes used.
Concrete and steel because they are cheap.
Tungsten ( because it actually is dense, so a thinner layer can sometimes be used than if lead were chosen)
And, rather oddly, depleted uranium.
Uranium is very dense and has an even higher scattering potential than lead. It's a bit radioactive but the alpha radiation from lead can be stopped with a sheet of aluminium foil (or a couple of sheets of paint).
Adam Munich
Sat Apr 30 2011, 12:55PM
We think that because we have never been told otherwise!
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: