Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

200 kV current limited SMPS

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Mar 31 2011, 10:00PM Print
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Hi,
I was thinking about making a very high voltage power supply which could be used for drawing arcs. The first idea was a bridge inverter, two transformers with 50 kV output each (midpoint grounded) and a halfwave doubler on each transformer.
But then I realised this, when an arc forms on the output of the PSU, the doubler caps effectively get connected in parallel to the secondary windings. The dc voltage from the charged caps which shows up on the secondaries of the transformers could saturate the cores and blow the bridge.

Then I had this idea - what about making a SLR-type inverter but with resonant caps on the secondary side of the transformers? Because those caps would be much smaller than the "pure" doubler caps, core saturation should not occur when an arc forms. As the whole H.V. assembly would be put under transformer oil and the capacitances needed at xx kV are very small, I thought about making the caps just two plates under oil with adjustable distance between them.

What do you think about this concept? Would the oil dielectric H.V. caps stand to the kVAr's? Is such a power supply practically even doable in a "hobbyist environment"?

The schematic, just in case:

1301608503 152 FT0 200
James
Thu Mar 31 2011, 10:44PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
What sort of output current did you have in mind? I think you would want more than just a single doubler stage as capacitors over 20kV start to get much more expensive. SMPS x-ray generators typically have 8 stages or so with a ~10kV output from the transformer. The heads are filled with mineral oil and that stands up fine. I've been thinking for a while of building a high power (several kW) ~120kVDC power supply using a similar topology, split or twin secondary windings feeding separate multipliers for + and -.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Apr 01 2011, 07:28AM
James, the short circuit output current I was thinking of would be somewhere around 20 mA.
As for the caps, like I said I would just use a simple plate capacitor under oil, the caps for the SLR topology (driving at f_res/2) could be very small at this voltage - somewhere in the few pF range.
Ash Small
Fri Apr 01 2011, 01:35PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

.the capacitances needed at xx kV are very small, .

I can see a few potential problems here, but given that voltage makes no difference to the capacitance required (high frequency will allow the use of smaller caps), and the fact that it was already April 1st in the Czech Republic when this was posted.........(I also understand that multipliers/doublers aren't suitable for drawing arcs)
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Apr 01 2011, 01:56PM
Ash: Nope this is for real... You can draw arcs from a halfwave doubler on a high frequency transformer. The capacitance required would be a few pF.
However I think I'll ditch this idea... its starting to sound a bit unreal.
Ash Small
Fri Apr 01 2011, 02:15PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
What frequency do you estimate Fres to be? (ie what is the estimated inductance of the secondary)
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Apr 01 2011, 02:49PM
The transformer would be driven at some 40-60 kHz, which means the cap would need to resonate at 80-120 kHz. This also means the capacitance of the secondary should be so small that it would resonate with the leakage inductance of the transformer (+ additional series inductances if any) at more than 120 kHz, preferrably some 200 KHz... I'm afraid it's not real to design such a transformer with such output voltage.
Steve Conner
Fri Apr 01 2011, 03:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It sounds like it would work better if you used a Tesla coil as the transformer.

Tesla's lab notes say that plate capacitors under oil can stand lots of HV/HF abuse.
James
Fri Apr 01 2011, 06:31PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
Well if it helps, I've attached the schematic I reverse engineered from a Kodak 2200 intraoral x-ray head. This is designed to produce selectable 60-70kV at 4-7mA. Operation is in the 85-95 kHz range, driven by a resonant converter IC. The transformer is a small ungapped ferrite about 30x50mm, capacitors are 15kV ceramic and diodes are 16kV. Relay selects the filament cup bias depending on whether 4mA or 7mA is selected. The transformer and multiplier are within the oil filled head while the inverter drive is in the wall mounted cabinet.

It should be relatively easy to scale this up to provide 20mA at 100kV, and then you just need to build a pair of them of opposing polarities.
]kodak_xray_generator.pdf[/file]
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Apr 01 2011, 06:59PM
James: Thanks, but the problem with multipliers is that you can't draw arcs from them without some kind of big HV resistors which waste power. I chose the single stage half wave double as you can still draw an arc from it when supplied from a high frequency transformer.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: