Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wimshurst Machine?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Thu Mar 31 2011, 09:30PM Print
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
I was thinking of summer projects today and I remembered that I took apart a projection TV last month. Unlike most other TVs this one had a 4.5mm thick piece of acrylic (lexan maybe?) on the front. Link2

So.. a wimshurst machine came to mind as the plastic is big enough for two 24 inch disks. How would one go about cutting such a disk out of this plastic though?
James
Thu Mar 31 2011, 10:48PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
If there's a plastics shop in your area, they can cut it on a CNC laser table. I've had parts made at TAP Plastics near me and it was pretty reasonable. Actually even the material is dirt cheap to buy.

To cut it yourself at home a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade can be used, but you might try to cobble together a hot wire cutter. Rough cut a square by scoring with a razor and snapping it off, then drill a hole in the center and screw it to something as a pivot so you can rotate it past the hot wire and get a nice clean circle. They make special drill bits to drill plastic without grabbing and cracking it, but you can file an old bit to do the same thing.
Antonio
Fri Apr 01 2011, 12:46AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Acrylic doesn't melt easily. A hot wire will probably not work. My preferred method to cut these disks is:
Mark the disks in the sheet.
Cut them out with a series of cuts with a small circular saw attached to a Dremel tool.
Drill the center with the same diameter of the axle to be used.
Fix the axle to a hole in a wood board so the disk can rotate on it. Put something between the disk and the board to avoid scratches. Fix the board to a table with a clamp.
Mount a grinding tool, as a Dremel with a cylindric cutting tool, in a vertical support so it touches the border of the disk.
Turn the disk slowly -against- the rotating tool, gradually changing the distance between the pin and the tool after each turn of the disk until all the border is uniform.
Never let the plastic get hot, or it will deform.
Nah
Fri Apr 01 2011, 07:34PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
I have some ready Wimshurst disks if you want them.

Paul
Adam Munich
Fri Apr 01 2011, 07:49PM
I had a novel idea. Large sheets of copper clad are rather cheap, couldn't one make wimshurst wheels out of those the same way one makes PCBs? Just create a sector design on the computer, print it out and iron it on the board, then etch.
Nah
Fri Apr 01 2011, 09:29PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
I highly think that the high voltage will easily be able to arc through even the slighest imperfection in the trace. Also, I don't know how rugged those traces would be, there are some rather high currents in a Wimshurst Machine.
James
Fri Apr 01 2011, 09:41PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
Nah wrote ...

I highly think that the high voltage will easily be able to arc through even the slighest imperfection in the trace. Also, I don't know how rugged those traces would be, there are some rather high currents in a Wimshurst Machine.

Whimshurst machines are electrostatic, the output is inherently very low current. The high current discharges come from the Leyden jars frequently connected to them. The machine itself is rather low tech and has been around for well over 100 years. I'm betting it won't be too hard to build one.
Antonio
Sat Apr 02 2011, 12:14AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
A Wimshurst machine made of fiberglass PC board would work. Cheaper PC board materials may be too conductive. Copper sectors may get easily stained. The currents in the disks are really very low, in the microampere range.
One of my best Wimshurst machines:
Link2
Adam Munich
Sat Apr 02 2011, 03:06AM
Well I have some 12" by 9" copper clad, and I have some 3" by 4" copper clad. I'd like to make a small machine with 3" disks as proof of concept, and before I fire up autodesk do you have any tips on sector design? Number of sectors, shape of sectors etc.

As for copper getting stained, all you need is a quick wipe with HCL to clean it up. I could also try and get some liquid tin too.
Adam Munich
Sat Apr 02 2011, 11:50PM
No tips then?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: