Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

555 Timer Plasma Speaker

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chip Fixes
Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:50AM Print
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
I built this plasma speaker following the schematic: (Link2 I used a computer power supply for the 12 volts and im pretty sure I found the correct pins on the flyack driver. But when i hooked it all up and tried to arc it, all i got was a tiny spark? I'm wondering if there is an obvious problem someone can point out to me or if there is a better way to build it. I really want to run it off of a 555 timer (I have ~100 of them) and IRF 644 transistor. I was frustrated and I took it apart but I can easily rebuild it and post pictures if need be.
Thanks for any help!
magnet18
Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:23AM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
you need to wind your own primary of 20ga or larger magnet wire, 5-8 turns the other primaries on a flyback have too many windings.
also, try powering the 555 off a lead acid battery or separate power supply and the flyback on the computer power supply, the flyback makes an enormous amount of noise (common ground of course)
Chip Fixes
Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:51AM
ah alright, that makes sense! thank you! so would i input the 12v to one end of the homemade primary and the transistor to the other end?
Chip Fixes
Sat Mar 26 2011, 04:53AM
oh and would a 14.4v supply work for the flyback if i did 7-10 turns?
magnet18
Sat Mar 26 2011, 10:27AM
if the FET can handle it, just go 14 volts with the 5 turns, it will deliver more power for each pulse, which will prevent your speaker from sounding like nails on chalkboard. (if it doesn't get enough power it will take multiple pulses to arc, lowering the frequency)

I spent all of last weekend and all day yesterday getting one of these things to work good, you probably need to ice cool your fet, you may also want to consider increasing the frequency of the timer to 40kHz ish with a 60-70% duty cycle, if youre unsure of the math its in the astable section here Link2

Yes to your wiring question and if you have problems getting an arc try switching the leads of the primary, the flyback rectifies internally so it only works one way
Chip Fixes
Sat Mar 26 2011, 05:24PM
alright thank you very much!! I will let you know how it goes
magnet18
Sun Mar 27 2011, 03:16PM
Heres a video of my setup, might give you an idea or two.
Link2
Chip Fixes
Mon Mar 28 2011, 09:56PM
ok so im waiting on another flyback because the one i have has a ferrite core that is to close to the plastic housing to wrap magnetic wire around, and I think the sound quality on your setup sounds really good! On a side note: what if you wired up two transistors instead of one? You would probably not need to ice cool it like you do in the video... I only have one in my plan because it's not supposed to heat up very much. Oh and I cannot find that 14.4 volt powersupply at the moment but would a 12volt car battery charger work? and if so should i run it at 2 amps or 10?
magnet18
Mon Mar 28 2011, 10:10PM
I wouldn't the the battery charger, but the battery would work fine. I would guess there would be a lot of electrical noise. If you decide to give it a shot (can't really hurt) try it at the lower current setting first.

Ive never tried paralleling MOSFETs, but I know it can be done and it will reduce the current on each one.

Are you ordering your flybacks? Just rip apart anything with a CRT, discharge the caps and carefully stick a screwdriver with a grounded alligator lead attached to it under the suctionie cup thingie. As long as you follow the HV saftey rules you should be fine.
magnet18
Mon Mar 28 2011, 10:12PM
You said you used a computer PSU in the first post, it should still work. If you have nothing with a CRT that you want to sacrifice, goodwill should be able to provide.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: