Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

555 plasma speaker problem

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
magnet18
Thu Mar 24 2011, 04:02AM Print
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
Hi everyone,
I'm currently attempting to build a plasma speaker using a 555 timer, an IRFS654 MOSFET, a lead acid battery, and a flyback; from what I gather it's not an uncommon procedure.
My problem is that the frequency coming out of the flyback doesn't seem to match the 555's frequency. I scoped the 555 pin 3 as being 25 kHz, which is well beyond audible, but when I attempt to create an arc it makes a nasty tone approximately that of nails on a chalkboard, and the plasma arc is erratic and jumps about. Also, as I change the distance of the spark gap, the frequency changes audibly, growing lower as the distance is increased and higher as the distance is decreased. I have tried this with both 20 and 10 turns on the primary and got the same result, with the 10 turn's providing more voltage, but the same effect.
Does anyone know where I might be going wrong?

I can post a pic/video of my setup if anyone thinks it will help.

Thanks in advance :)
ZakWolf
Thu Mar 24 2011, 06:22AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
i built the 555 timer plasma speaker with very poor results. The sound quality was like you described "like nails on a chalk board" with very quiet music in the background. Your better off making the tl494 driver Link2 or my favorite so far the sg352a driver Link2

good luck ;)
James
Thu Mar 24 2011, 05:44PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
LittleVenture wrote ...

i built the 555 timer plasma speaker with very poor results. The sound quality was like you described "like nails on a chalk board" with very quiet music in the background. Your better off making the tl494 driver Link2 or my favorite so far the sg352a driver Link2

good luck ;)

What's with the 10,000uF lytics? I've never seen capacitors anywhere near that large used with a half bridge like that.
magnet18
Thu Mar 24 2011, 07:53PM
I tried those, couldn't get either of them to work, but I intended to build grenadiers in the future.
@James, I believe they must be so large to ensure that they can supply, absorb the power required to drive the flyback.
James
Thu Mar 24 2011, 08:50PM
I'll have to try the circuit and see what happens with smaller caps. 1-2uF ought to be enough, and generally using polarized lytics in applications like that is unwise.
ScotchTapeLord
Thu Mar 24 2011, 11:23PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
10,000 uF is overkill for the half-bridge midpoint tap, but the types of capacitors he is using probably aren't rated for enough current, so paralleling them will help. But the proper thing to do would be to use higher current capacitors. Also, they need bleeder resistors.

Also not sure how I feel about the polarized capacitor on the *AC* audio input.
magnet18
Fri Mar 25 2011, 01:11AM
ScotchTapeLord wrote ...

Also not sure how I feel about the polarized capacitor on the *AC* audio input.

He's a member of this forum, and I noticed that he had the cap polarized backwards on the pictorial schematic, generally the negative goes to the AC audio while the positive goes to the chip, which is generally positive. I personally used a nonpolar cap.

In any case, I reduced the turns and doubled the voltage on my 555 circuit and it seems to be doing fine, apparently one pulse was too short to build up enough charge to jump the gap.
ZakWolf
Fri Mar 25 2011, 01:27AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
I used the parts he said to use and it works just fine, the 10,000uf caps never ever get warm either.

**The heat sink in the pictures is totally unneeded, i thought there was going to be a lot of heat from the fets. Maybe the heat is so little because i am using an lm7812 instead of an lm7815 which i will replace when it arrives for better output and sound quality.**
1301016426 3114 FT111445 Dsc00402

1301016426 3114 FT111445 Dsc00404
James
Fri Mar 25 2011, 05:37PM
I'm sure it would work, I'm just wondering if some small film caps would work as well as the big relatively expensive lytics. I have loads of smaller caps.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Mar 25 2011, 08:43PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
The divider caps value goes up with inverse square of the supply voltage, so if you use 1uF with 320 volts you need to use over 100uF at 24 volts, and film caps of this value are really expensive and large...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: