All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

NEED HELP WITH MOT

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
the mad scientist
Tue Mar 22 2011, 09:55PM
the mad scientist Registered Member #3768 Joined: Tue Mar 22 2011, 12:46AM
ooo almost forgot and CW multipliers ^_^, not that hard to figure out
ScotchTapeLord
Tue Mar 22 2011, 10:48PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
the mad scientist wrote ...

i have previous experience with flybacks and ignition coils :P

Those won't kill you, though.
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Mar 22 2011, 10:53PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
If you need to ask whether a MOT needs a driver, you SHOULD NOT be playing with MOTs.
They are lethal, ill behaved, of limited use, too much current, too little voltage, lethal, run in saturation, to skimpy on the materials, LETHAL, get my point?
Series MOTs are a hassle; they need to go under oil.
Go find yourself a nice NST if you want to play with something bigger than a flyback.
Or be bold and wind your own flyback on two 102-57-25 U-cores from TSC Ferrite International.
the mad scientist
Tue Mar 22 2011, 10:54PM
I HATE THE CHAT ROOM, unlike here in the forums, everyone is a troll and an ass to me in the chatroom im never going there again :@
:)
James
Tue Mar 22 2011, 11:04PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
I'm not saying don't play with one, but as others have implied, a MOT is in an entirely different league from CW multipliers, ignition coils, etc. It's like comparing an airsoft pistol or bb gun to a .44 Magnum. I've been playing with electricity all my life and HV for at least 20 years and MOTs still terrify me. It is very likely you WILL die if you accidentally come in contact with the output just once, no second chance. I know it sounds like "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" but seriously, be extremely careful if you decide to mess with one of these. They are by far the most dangerous component you are likely to find in a consumer appliance.

In addition to the HV hazard, the arcs will easily set fire to materials and melt wires. I've had red hot blobs of copper wire fall off and burn pits in my workbench. BE CAREFUL and never work with one alone.
Patrick
Tue Mar 22 2011, 11:35PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Ok, I think weve deflated him enough. If he gets himself killed or ends up in the ER, its on him.
We all realize this HV is a "high consequence business" lets pray he gets that, lets not be to jerkish about it.

EDIT: As a friendly warning, at the age of 15, dont be thinking your high degree of intelligence will keep you alive, if you become undisciplined, or get too agressive you can be killed, quickly. like Louis Slotin, or Harry K. Daghlian, Jr., both highly intelligent, Highly experienced, both killed after making a simple and brief mistake, around what should have been a simple demonstration.

In this line of work, any of us could be injured or killed, quickly. Remember that.
James
Tue Mar 22 2011, 11:55PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
I'm not trying to deflate him, just hoping to get the point across. Anything forbidden is all the more alluring, but there is good reason to be extremely cautious with these. As much as I love HV, even I rarely play with MOTs, life is just so much more interesting when you're not dead. They're just too dangerous without being all that exciting. Just enough voltage to be really hazardous but too little to be all that spectacular and enough current to easily kill.
Patrick
Wed Mar 23 2011, 12:00AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
I wasnt meaning you James.
the mad scientist
Wed Mar 23 2011, 12:31AM
ty guys :) ^_^, not to be rude, idk if it even is ? lol. but my dream is to be the best theoretical physicist and advanced chemist ever, better than Einstein but recently it seems that these goal are to far fetched and my life will have no signifigance to science :'(
Inducktion
Wed Mar 23 2011, 12:42AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
the mad scientist wrote ...

ty guys :) ^_^, not to be rude, idk if it even is ? lol. but my dream is to be the best theoretical physicist and advanced chemist ever, better than Einstein but recently it seems that these goal are to far fetched and my life will have no signifigance to science :'(

Yeah... If you're going to play with high voltage, and want to learn how that stuff works, start small. The very first circuit I made was a simple 555 timer flyback driver, and it worked pretty well, and I learned a TON off of such a simple circuit. I learned what a square wave does, how a capacitor works, how a flyback works, (since it was always one of those mysterious things inside tube tv's) and a lot of other things about basic electronics. A MOT, well, that's something entirely different. I'm not going to repeat what everyone else said, because its quite simply true, and it's been hammered into you enough as it is. However, you can do something useful with MOT's, asides from making high voltage. If you take out the secondary, you can wind your own and make a nifty power supply. Each turn = around 1 volt. Thicker wire = more current.

Also, I'm 17, so I sort of understand where your coming from. Less than half a year ago I knew basically nothing about electronics, asides from the fact that it hurts if its high enough. But again, I'm not going to crush your hopes and dreams. The big things that make pretty sparks are great, but they're also deadly, and its definitely not a learning experience if it kills you. Start smaller, learn, and slowly make your way up the chain. Flybacks are a great way to learn about high voltage, because for the most part, their current isn't high enough to kill you, just hurt like hell and maybe knock you back a few feet.

In general, high voltage is dangerous. But, it can be fun, and somewhat easy to learn about if you're extremely careful. If you use a flyback, or any high voltage source for that matter, use a chicken stick, and don't eff around with it.

....Here's a nifty guide by Grenadier, a person I know in real life and in this forum.
Link2

Enjoy, be safe, and have fun.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: