All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The best/easiest oscillator...

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Inducktion
Tue Mar 15 2011, 05:44PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
James wrote ...

They are, but mostly vacuum tube based circuits. The reason you don't see frequencies like 100 MHz is that the skin effect prevents the heating from penetrating deeply as the frequency goes up. In general you want higher frequencies for heating smaller parts. 100 kHz is typical of <2kW induction heaters. Huge ones used in foundries and such often run at 60Hz.

Is there any reason why those oscillators are only vacuum tube based? Or just because that is what they were designed off of, and it's not possible to exchange it with a transistor or MOSFET. Or, why not just use a radio transmitter circuit, but change the values so that it works at appropriate frequencies, with a power transistor?
Mattski
Wed Mar 16 2011, 06:59PM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
wrote ...

Is there any reason why those oscillators are only vacuum tube based? Or just because that is what they were designed off of, and it's not possible to exchange it with a transistor or MOSFET. Or, why not just use a radio transmitter circuit, but change the values so that it works at appropriate frequencies, with a power transistor?
I suspect vacuum tubes would be used in such applications because vacuum tubes can be made to operate at very high powers at high frequencies. That's why old radars (and some current ones) used tubes of various kinds, and still most microwave ovens are magnetron based. Of course semiconductors improve all the time, you can probably use transistors to do an induction heater with the specs you want.
Inducktion
Wed Mar 16 2011, 07:54PM
Mattski wrote ...

wrote ...

I suspect vacuum tubes would be used in such applications because vacuum tubes can be made to operate at very high powers at high frequencies. That's why old radars (and some current ones) used tubes of various kinds, and still most microwave ovens are magnetron based. Of course semiconductors improve all the time, you can probably use transistors to do an induction heater with the specs you want.

But there still arises the same exact problem; what values do I use to make any of those oscillators work with the frequency range I want, with the semiconductors I want? :/
Inducktion
Wed Mar 16 2011, 10:30PM
I attached my board I worked on a bit.
Hopefully that'll work for the Royer 2.
]supa_mega_royer.zip[/file]
Inducktion
Wed Mar 16 2011, 10:54PM
Inducktion wrote ...

I attached my board I worked on a bit.
Hopefully that'll work for the Royer 2.

Sorry for Double/triple posting. Here's a board I recently made based off of Radhoo's oscillator for his small SSTC.

I hope it works, it uses the same principle as the ZVS driver behind the diode gate driving.
]oscillator.zip[/file]
James
Thu Mar 17 2011, 12:01AM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
Mattski wrote ...

wrote ...

As far as I know, *all* microwave ovens use magnetrons. There is simply no more efficient and cost effective method of producing high energy RF in that frequency range.

The frequency of any resonant circuit is determined by the capacitance and inductance of the components of the tank. Vacuum tubes have advantages in terms of robustness and power handling for high powered stuff, particularly when high voltage is involved. Semiconductors have largely taken over at this point, and I suspect the shift towards other topologies has to do with the way transistors behave vs tubes. These days high power semiconductors are cheap enough that for most applications it only really makes sense to use tubes for the cool factor.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: