All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The best/easiest oscillator...

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Inducktion
Sun Mar 13 2011, 08:24PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

No, you can buy a crystal oscillator for a few bucks with a square wave output. People use the 4MHz ones to drive Class-E SSTCs.

The real reasons why nobody uses crystals are:

The resonant frequencies of flybacks are low, <100kHz, and you don't get a particularly good choice of crystals down there. 32.768kHz is the only off-the-shelf value I can think of.

The frequency doesn't need to be that stable. A good RC oscillator, like the one in a TL494 or 555, is fine.

The easiest way to find the resonance is to connect up the flyback to your power oscillator and tune for maximum smoke. To do this the oscillator has to be adjustable, which RC ones are, and crystals aren't.

The RC is cheaper.

So it wins on three counts.

Getting back to the original topic, RTFArchives, you will find plans for Kim Ladha's self-oscillating induction heater, a simple circuit successfully copied by many people here. I think the thread title was "OMG Induction Heater" or the like. I prefer a circuit using the 4046.

Problem is I only need 3-5 of those chips, (the 4046 anyway) and not really much else.... It'd be a pain to pay $10 in shipping for 3 dollars worth in chips.
Steve Conner
Sun Mar 13 2011, 08:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well that's why I told you to go search for that Kim Ladha's circuit which doesn't contain a 4046.

You'll need to order some gate driver chips anyway.

I don't know where you got the idea that you needed a transformer to use a ZVS. I built a goofy one with a ferrite-cored matching transformer, but I've seen any number of ZVS induction heaters, where the maker just put a center tap on the work coil, or used a bifilar work coil, or used two DC link chokes, one to each end of the work coil.

Or did you mean a 60Hz transformer, the implication being that you can only use the mains, not any lower voltage, because you don't have any kind of low voltage power supply? In which case too bad, better get one, the mains is not a good or safe place to start. It's kind of like saying that you'll trim your hedge with machine gun fire because you don't have a ladder.
Inducktion
Sun Mar 13 2011, 08:57PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Well that's why I told you to go search for that Kim Ladha's circuit which doesn't contain a 4046.

You'll need to order some gate driver chips anyway.

I don't know where you got the idea that you needed a transformer to use a ZVS. I built a goofy one with a ferrite-cored matching transformer, but I've seen any number of ZVS induction heaters, where the maker just put a center tap on the work coil, or used a bifilar work coil, or used two DC link chokes, one to each end of the work coil.

Or did you mean a 60Hz transformer, the implication being that you can only use the mains, not any lower voltage, because you don't have any kind of low voltage power supply? In which case too bad, better get one, the mains is not a good or safe place to start. It's kind of like saying that you'll trim your hedge with machine gun fire because you don't have a ladder.

You were right with the first part, the second part isn't. I'm talking about using a ZVS with a ferrite core transformer, like how it would be with a flyback, just instead of the HV Secondary its connected directly up to the coil. I tried that once, and the frequency was a bit too low to really work any currents into the workpiece. would just two inductors in series with the coil work? something like Link2
That, or is that what the inductor originally on there does? I have some gate driver chips on the way, samples, surface mount stuff but yeah, I don't want to use a ferrite transformer. I would like this to be transformer free, and just use the work coil as it is, because it allows for nice high frequency and prevents from having to use transformers that saturate and heat up. Plus, the ferrite is just another thing to buy.
Steve Conner
Sun Mar 13 2011, 09:46PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well, if you can make a good resonant circuit for induction heating, that is to say a coil of good thick wire and a beefy capacitor that can handle lots of current, then you can just sling it between the two MOSFET drains and use it as the resonant part of the ZVS. You don't need those two inductors or anything. The only hard bit is getting a center tap on the work coil to feed the DC power in, but I discussed solutions for that in my previous post.

It probably won't handle a 160V supply. I struggled to get mine above about 50V before it died of parasitic oscillations. You're probably best to run it off some big iron cored transformer.
Inducktion
Mon Mar 14 2011, 01:37AM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Well, if you can make a good resonant circuit for induction heating, that is to say a coil of good thick wire and a beefy capacitor that can handle lots of current, then you can just sling it between the two MOSFET drains and use it as the resonant part of the ZVS. You don't need those two inductors or anything. The only hard bit is getting a center tap on the work coil to feed the DC power in, but I discussed solutions for that in my previous post.

It probably won't handle a 160V supply. I struggled to get mine above about 50V before it died of parasitic oscillations. You're probably best to run it off some big iron cored transformer.

Parasitic oscillations huh...hm....

Would it work, with a gate driver pushing the gates on and off? Ferrite beads, all the good stuff to reduce oscillations and short leads also help too.

I'd rather not have to get it to work with an actual IC creating square waves. Self excited oscillators are so much easier to make. And, also, why wouldn't a colpitts or a Hartley oscillator work for this application, or any of those oscillators for that matter? The only issue like I've stated above is just figuring out the values. The rest should be pretty easy, at least in theory anyway.
James
Mon Mar 14 2011, 02:38AM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
No, it doesn't have to be that exact chip, there are piles of different ones that would work. Nand and inverters are both good options. You do want the Schmitt trigger type if you can find them though. These snap on and off nice and cleanly and are less likely to float in undefined states. Either way you can get a few of them for free Link2

The main reason crystal oscillators are not used for this sort of thing is that the resonant frequency of the transformer changes with... pretty much everything. Voltage, primary windings, load on the output, etc. Also you don't need anywhere near the precision, a simple RC oscillator would work just as well but the whole point of a resonant oscillator is that it's self tuning.

I know you're avoiding transformers, but I really do recommend you give it a try. As a member of 4HV you must have a melted down flyback or two by now? Just pull the core from one. Transformer coupled makes it SO much more versatile and effective. Took me less than 5 minutes to wind my transformer and didn't cost a dime.

I would also again encourage you to build a stock unmodified mazzilli driver first. It's flat out the easiest cheapest most bare bones driver of that nature I've found. Mine will make some arcs from a flyback down to 5V input, albeit weak ones.
Inducktion
Mon Mar 14 2011, 03:03AM
James wrote ...

No, it doesn't have to be that exact chip, there are piles of different ones that would work. Nand and inverters are both good options. You do want the Schmitt trigger type if you can find them though. These snap on and off nice and cleanly and are less likely to float in undefined states. Either way you can get a few of them for free Link2

The main reason crystal oscillators are not used for this sort of thing is that the resonant frequency of the transformer changes with... pretty much everything. Voltage, primary windings, load on the output, etc. Also you don't need anywhere near the precision, a simple RC oscillator would work just as well but the whole point of a resonant oscillator is that it's self tuning.

I know you're avoiding transformers, but I really do recommend you give it a try. As a member of 4HV you must have a melted down flyback or two by now? Just pull the core from one. Transformer coupled makes it SO much more versatile and effective. Took me less than 5 minutes to wind my transformer and didn't cost a dime.

I would also again encourage you to build a stock unmodified mazzilli driver first. It's flat out the easiest cheapest most bare bones driver of that nature I've found. Mine will make some arcs from a flyback down to 5V input, albeit weak ones.

I've actually already made the ZVS basic driver quite a few months ago. It worked great. Nice fat arcs, and the circuit itself was pretty neat, and tidy.

I tried making an induction heater with it just with a plain center tapped work coil, and im almost positive that's what killed it.

And as for the Royer improved circuit from neon-john, I've got pretty much everything i need, or going to get the things I need tomorrow. I'll try building it and stuff sometime this week, and hopefully i'll get it working well. And the one thing I'm worried about with the flyback core, is it will saturate at the higher frequencies...and will overheat, or so I understand. I'll try and figure out how many turns and all that good stuff.
James
Mon Mar 14 2011, 05:42PM
Inducktion wrote ...

James wrote ...

I've actually already made the ZVS basic driver quite a few months ago. It worked great. Nice fat arcs, and the circuit itself was pretty neat, and tidy.

I tried making an induction heater with it just with a plain center tapped work coil, and im almost positive that's what killed it.

And as for the Royer improved circuit from neon-john, I've got pretty much everything i need, or going to get the things I need tomorrow. I'll try building it and stuff sometime this week, and hopefully i'll get it working well. And the one thing I'm worried about with the flyback core, is it will saturate at the higher frequencies...and will overheat, or so I understand. I'll try and figure out how many turns and all that good stuff.

Try the transformer with the Mazzilli driver first. If it cooks that, it WILL cook the mains powered driver. Higher frequency ought to reduce the likelihood of core saturation, but the losses in the core do increase and cause it to run hotter. What worked for me is mazzilli circuit fed with 50VDC driving a flyback core with 5+5 turns primary. Secondary is 2 turns of #4 car stereo power wire connected to a ~1" diameter coil of 8 turns of #12 bare copper wire.

Take your time and get it right or you'll spend a lot more converting expensive IGBTs into landfill material very efficiently.
Inducktion
Tue Mar 15 2011, 02:18AM
James wrote ...

Inducktion wrote ...

James wrote ...

Try the transformer with the Mazzilli driver first. If it cooks that, it WILL cook the mains powered driver. Higher frequency ought to reduce the likelihood of core saturation, but the losses in the core do increase and cause it to run hotter. What worked for me is mazzilli circuit fed with 50VDC driving a flyback core with 5+5 turns primary. Secondary is 2 turns of #4 car stereo power wire connected to a ~1" diameter coil of 8 turns of #12 bare copper wire.

Take your time and get it right or you'll spend a lot more converting expensive IGBTs into landfill material very efficiently.

I'm going to work on the ZVS enhanced driver soon as I get my stuff....But in the meantime, why wouldn't a colpitts...hartley...armstrong..clapp's.....Why wouldn't any of those oscillators work for induction heating? How come I hardly see these circuits being used for anything other than radio transmitters? I would LOVE to make an induction heater using one of these oscillators, because they're relatively simple, but I don't know how I would figure out the values needed to sustain oscillations or to get it working at a frequency alot lower than it was designed at. I would like to get an induction heater with a frequency somewhere in between 200 khz or 1 mhz.

Just a random thought while I'm at it though, it would be insane to see a 100 mhz induction heater.

Ev
James
Tue Mar 15 2011, 05:27PM
They are, but mostly vacuum tube based circuits. The reason you don't see frequencies like 100 MHz is that the skin effect prevents the heating from penetrating deeply as the frequency goes up. In general you want higher frequencies for heating smaller parts. 100 kHz is typical of <2kW induction heaters. Huge ones used in foundries and such often run at 60Hz.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: