Bill G (64)
Overclocked (37)
Edi (31)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Portable Xray

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Japex92
Thu Jan 06 2011, 02:33AM Print
Japex92 Registered Member #3334 Joined: Tue Oct 19 2010, 02:24AM
Hi,

This is Jairo Pérez from Colombia, I am trying to design a portable X-ray unit for dental applications, I have seem many devices that reach 70 KVp but I am not sure how they get it. It looks like they use a powerfull source based on high frecuency conversion, i am wondering if you know how is that. I have used a flyback to obtain high voltages; however, this options is a bit too old.

Any ideas?
Adam Munich
Thu Jan 06 2011, 02:45AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Heh, I am actually in the process of making a portable x-ray myself. This is what I plan on doing.

1294281915 2893 FT105404 New Bitmap Image 2

Japex92
Thu Jan 06 2011, 05:00AM
Hi Grenadier,

I have used something similar; I set two flybacks, the primaries in parallel and the secondary in series, obviously with their respective ZVS drivers using four MOSFET transistors, but It looks like It has not reach the necessary voltage to shoot electrons from the catode to the anode.

Have you tested your design?, I can provide you the components I used and we can share experiences. Please check our design.

Thanks,
1294290004 3334 FT105404 Design
Dr. ISOTOP
Thu Jan 06 2011, 05:47AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
The easiest way to achieve the necessary voltages is with an AC high voltage source and a multiplier.
Series-connected flybacks is risky; the secondaries might be damaged by overvoltage.
Perhaps a 12KV NST and a 4-stage multiplier? That should give you 69KV peak and ~7 mA current.
Proud Mary
Thu Jan 06 2011, 09:57AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Hello Jairo Pérez,

a portable dental X-ray machine must have "type approval" and conform to national safety standards for use on human beings, so you will have to design your product around the 'type approval' criteria and national standards of Colombia.

In practice, 'type approval' criteria are much the same from one country to another, and you should examine machines currently authorised for use in Colombia to see how the designers have approached the problem of meeting type approval standards and safety standards.

Type Approval and safety certification examinations by government agencies are always very expensive, and can involve submitting a number of machines for examination.

Here is a Type Approval application form from India, which must stand in for many like it from other nations:

Link2

China is the present market leader in lightweight portable dental X-ray equipment, and is able to offer machines at such low prices it would be hard to find a way to compete with them:

Link2

Notice that the mounting type specified for Canadian sales is different "Ball- 2009140* Spiral (excluding Canada longituba)" - clearly to meet a Canadian Type Approval criterion.

Trust me, you will, thankfully, never get Type Approval for a portable dental X-ray machine made out of scrap,

Stella
Adam Munich
Thu Jan 06 2011, 11:27AM
I haven't built it yet because I'm still waiting for the voltage multiplier parts from china, and I'm still looking for an AC FBT.
Japex92
Fri Jan 07 2011, 04:21AM
Hi,

Well, I realized that using flybacks is not a good option few months ago; however, it is a good way to start designing and understanding the principles of high frecuency techniques, I have been through legal procedures because we have a 510k FDA approval. Once, I bought UHV-11A capacitors (1000pF@50kVp) and some fast diodes but this solution is not very effective, I did import the lightweight portable dental X-ray equipment you mentioned; but it is not really portable beacuse it is composed by a mainframe and a head: Link2 the weight is nearly 11 kg.
I know that Medium-frequency generators, CW multipliers and Constant potential generators are commonly used in these applications; but I do not know how to start.

I contacted some chinese FBT manufacturers but it seems they do not know much about customized designs;nonetheless, there is an american company that manufactures power supplies like: HVP080 and XRS050N200, have a look at them, the problem is that these devices cost over 1800 USD each. Do you think buying one of these will help?.

Help, help!!!

BR,
Adam Munich
Fri Jan 07 2011, 04:51AM
Just so you know, HV power supplies like that are usually just a flyback and a CW multiplier.

Info on multipliers > Link2

How will you power this? If you choose a battery expect it to be bulky/possibly heavy.
Proud Mary
Fri Jan 07 2011, 09:09AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
You should look at the construction - and any patents - for The Aribex Nomad Pro Handheld intraoral dental X-ray Unit which has a 60kV/2.5mA source, weighs 2.5kg, looks much like a handheld XRF analyser, and costs US$6,495:

Link2

Japex92
Fri Jan 07 2011, 07:49PM
What do think about the XRS050N200?
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: