Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Glassman HV Supply

first  5 6 7 8 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:34AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well Pinky, you better ask if his transformer cores are gapped, if they're not then no cookies for you.

How big was the last SMPS you designed anyway? (Full disclosure: my last one was a 5 watt DC-DC converter for a battery-powered instrument smile )

Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:39AM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Tiny, some uC power supply in farming equipment controller ... it was said in jest.
radhoo
Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:46AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Well Pinky, you better ask if his transformer cores are gapped, if they're not then no cookies for you.
You two are funny, hope you can help me with the "regularized" driver as well.

To answer the above: no cookies, just an "air" gap ( some very thin insulator ).

The board connected before the multiplier looks like this:
Link2
I might be able to get one, but it looks very complex.

So I wonder if I can do something close to the original supply, but with a simpler approach: driver+feedback for regularization+displaying the voltage on a meter + some basic protection.

Steve Conner
Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:59AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Regularized? Oh, I get it, you mean "regulated".

If the core had an air gap, then maybe it was driven as a flyback after all. But sometimes forward converters have an air gap too.

But then, the 2N5039 transistors seen on that board are only 90V rated. That doesn't seem like enough for a flyback driver. It doesn't seem like enough for any sort of driver!

Some old HV power supplies in smaller sizes had a big iron-cored transformer that supplied a low voltage to a linear preregulator before the inverter, where more modern designs would use a buck converter running straight off rectified line voltage. The 90V rating of the transistors makes me think that's what might be the case here. The inverter always ran at full duty cycle, and the output voltage sense divider fed back to the linear preregulator.

That would probably be the easiest approach for a hobbyist, especially if you're a bit of an electronics noob. smile
radhoo
Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:19PM
Thanks for the reply,
I don't have the 2N5039 board, but I might be able to get one. Is it worthy?
What would be the approach to go, using that board?

What about a driver from scratch, without using the 2N5039 board? What kind of oscillator should I consider? How do I correlate the divider's feedback with the oscillator?

Ash Small
Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:46PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
radhoo wrote ...

Thanks, Ash.

On the schematics I've also printed the board's ID. Do you perhaps have access to the original schematics, including the driver?

I still try to resist the temptation of connecting a 555 timer driver to this board, but I should come with a better solution soon, since I really want to power it up.

The EDI RM800B info I supplied relates to a 100Kv 10 stage Glassman multiplier.

The custom diode used in that circuit is pictured below.

The earlier schematics I provided relate to Glassman EW series power supplies 0f 500W and up to 60KV.

I assume the RM800B is suitable for your circuit as it is rated for 8KV, (your capacitors are rated for 7.5KV)

I think the relevant bit is the 250 nanosecond recovery time.

EDIT: I've since discovered that this diode is used in a 20mA 100KV multiplier, not 100mA as I originally stated.
1291380389 3414 FT101843 Img 5636
Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:55PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Steve McConner wrote ...
If the core had an air gap, then maybe it was driven as a flyback after all. But sometimes forward converters have an air gap too.
Without a split secondary or primary and a DC load wouldn't you pretty much always need an air gap no matter how you drove it?

Radhoo, if you want a regulated supply then just getting the Glassman driver seems worth it. Saves a lot of headaches.
radhoo
Fri Dec 03 2010, 01:04PM
Pinky's Brain wrote ...

Radhoo, if you want a regulated supply then just getting the Glassman driver seems worth it. Saves a lot of headaches.
Thanks. The 6 pins connector to the multiplier board is easy and "approachable" , but I'm concerned about the other board, the left side connector is giving me headaches. Since I don't even have the schematics for this, it is even more complicated.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 03 2010, 01:12PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Ash Small wrote ...

radhoo wrote ...

Thanks, Ash.

On the schematics I've also printed the board's ID. Do you perhaps have access to the original schematics, including the driver?

I still try to resist the temptation of connecting a 555 timer driver to this board, but I should come with a better solution soon, since I really want to power it up.

The EDI RM800B info I supplied relates to a 100Kv 10 stage Glassman multiplier.

The custom diode used in that circuit is pictured below.

The earlier schematics I provided relate to Glassman EW series power supplies 0f 500W and up to 60KV.

I assume the RM800B is suitable for your circuit as it is rated for 8KV, (your capacitors are rated for 7.5KV)

I think the relevant bit is the 250 nanosecond recovery time.

EDIT: I've since discovered this diode is used in a 20mA multiplier.
1291380389 3414 FT101843 Img 5636

EDIT: I messed up here, tried to edit the post but ended up quoting and replicating.
radhoo
Tue Dec 07 2010, 10:16PM
Probably by tomorrow I'll be getting the driver board:

Link2

Hope this will provide some progress. However there is still a lot to figure out before I can re-use the multiplier modules.

The temptation to drive them blindly by some kind of PWM is getting higher. Not sure what to do.
first  5 6 7 8 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: