Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Glassman HV Supply

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Thu Dec 02 2010, 12:21PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
No. The Weinberg converter doesn't store any energy in the transformer. The energy is supplied to the secondary during the time that the FETs are on, which makes it a forward converter. Any stored energy is stored in what that paper calls the "Weinberg inductor", which is basically a boost inductor.

The "improved" version puts a secondary winding on the Weinberg inductor that connects to the output rectifier, so I guess the Weinberg inductor is now a flyback transformer that discharges to the output when both FETs are off. But this mode only contributes part of the output power.

Boost converters don't have the efficiency issues of flyback converters, because the inductor has only one winding, hence there's no leakage inductance to cause losses.
Pinky's Brain
Thu Dec 02 2010, 12:35PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
When the FETs are on the magnetic fields in the primaries of the push-pull transformer cancel each other out, all the energy is stored in the flyback transformer..
Steve Conner
Thu Dec 02 2010, 12:50PM
Sorry, I should have said:

The energy is supplied to the secondary during the time that one or other of the FETs is on, but not both.

It is an interesting topology that I hadn't seen before. Here's a paper on the non-isolated version. Link2

It's not clear whether the circuit (either isolated or non-isolated) is actually meant to be driven above 50% (per FET) duty.
Pinky's Brain
Thu Dec 02 2010, 01:05PM
I linked it because it was a one of the few free papers I could find. There is a step by step explanation of the operation, for boosting, of a ZVS version in ... "A New Active Clamping Soft Switching Weinberg Converter" which is only on IEEEXplore.

wrote ...
Interval 1: In this interval both main switches are on. Since magnetic fluxes of push-pull transformer are in opposite direction of each other , this transformer is short circuited. Therefore Vin is applied across the flyback transformer and the energy is stored in flyback magnetizing inductor.

Interval 2: When S1 is turned off, this interval starts and after this instant the energy stored in previous mode is transferred to the load through D3. The voltage applied across the flyback transformer changes its polarity and the current through this inductor decreases.

There are other people who made normal flyback designs at >>100 Watt for various reasons at >90% efficiency.

Found another free one.

(I'm not in love with the design, sure, the diodes provide a very fast clamp in this configuration ... but you need a lot more windings on the secondary for the same output voltage as a traditional flyback, because you don't actually want the clamp to kick in much.)
Steve Conner
Thu Dec 02 2010, 01:14PM
I still think they could have got some more optimal combination of cost, component count and efficiency if they had used a forward-derived converter instead of a flyback.

I also don't believe that any power supply by Glassman etc. ever used a flyback-derived converter to drive its CW stack.

I'm not going to argue it any more, maybe Richie Burnett will drop by and smack you round the head.
radhoo
Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:11AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Finally the schematics. Plain & simple, the caps are 2.2nF/7.5KV the diodes have no markings (probably they were custom-made for these supplies), the HV resistors for the divider are 150MOhm.

With your help I trust I can revive them. As I said I have 2 half wave Glassman multipliers, one a negative and the other a positive (I also have a full-wave Glassman multiplier, there's a photo in the first post).

Schematics

1291335065 1938 FT101843 P1110450

1291335065 1938 FT101843 P1110451

1291335065 1938 FT101843 P1110452

1291335065 1938 FT101843 P1110453
radhoo
Fri Dec 03 2010, 12:13AM
What would be a good start for creating a driver for this supply?

How to efficiently use the divider to 1) measure the output 2) do output regularization / some kind of supply protection

Thanks!
Ash Small
Fri Dec 03 2010, 10:47AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
radhoo wrote ...

Finally the schematics. Plain & simple, the caps are 2.2nF/7.5KV the diodes have no markings (probably they were custom-made for these supplies), the HV resistors for the divider are 150MOhm.

With your help I trust I can revive them. As I said I have 2 half wave Glassman multipliers, one a negative and the other a positive (I also have a full-wave Glassman multiplier, there's a photo in the first post).

I think the diodes you want are EDI RM800B, these are apparently the closest standard diode to the custom diodes manufactured for Glassman by EDI.

1291373268 3414 FT101843 Edi Rm800b
radhoo
Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:09AM
Thanks, Ash.

On the schematics I've also printed the board's ID. Do you perhaps have access to the original schematics, including the driver?

I still try to resist the temptation of connecting a 555 timer driver to this board, but I should come with a better solution soon, since I really want to power it up.
Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 03 2010, 11:31AM
radhoo wrote ...

What would be a good start for creating a driver for this supply?
If you could make two switch flyback work and spite mr. McConner you'd be my hero :) (I have changed my mind, all the other circuits to regenerate energy from leakage induction are hopelessly complex.)

Realistically though some kind of oscillator. Couldn't you just use an existing LLC driver IC? They come with current limiting build in.
wrote ...
How to efficiently use the divider to 1) measure the output
What kind of bandwidth do you want? If <MHz is enough use another Rdd/Rdb/Cd circuit, with Rdd replaced by a resistive divider. Maybe a JFET opamp buffer depending on what is going to be hanging off it.

Ooops, scratch that ... didn't see it was connected to the bottom of the multiplier ... hmm, don't immediately see how that is supposed to work.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: