Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Railgun projectile geometry

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Andyman
Fri Nov 19 2010, 12:08AM Print
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
I've looked through the past 10 pages of threads or so, and answers I found in a search were inconclusive, so I'll risk asking an answered question.
Besides the obvious challenge of machining, is there any other disadvantages to using a round projectile and round rails for a railgun? Are there any major advantages over square rails?
Jasonr
Fri Nov 19 2010, 04:45AM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
By "round" I assume you mean cylinder, and not a ball? If you are suggesting ball that is a horrible idea because of the amount of contact area.
I do not know why cylinder would cause much problem, other than why bother?
Jason
Turkey9
Fri Nov 19 2010, 06:01AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I don't know how much this would effect the projectile, but the current density wouldn't be uniform. The field at the top of the projectile wouldn't be the same as at the center for a round projectile. The forces might still be uniform but i don't know.

Apart from that I'd imagine that the increased surface area in contact with the rail would cut down on erosion of the rails. If you have the want, why not do it and see what happens? Then if other people have this question too, they can look here for the answer cheesey !
Andyman
Fri Nov 19 2010, 07:52AM
Jason, i do mean a cylinder.

Also, for a railgun it's more desirable to have higher capacitance as opposed to higher voltage, correct?
Turkey9
Fri Nov 19 2010, 05:58PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I think you're right... You want a really fast pulse but the inductance is so low that you get a short one almost by default. You want a lot of current though which higher voltage would do. I think around 400V is the happy medium there.
Andyman
Sat Nov 20 2010, 08:33PM
Ok, I talked to my physics professor briefly, and he was saying that with a square projectile, there will be magnetic field distortions at the corners, which will cause it to twist. (Probably that would mean it'll have more friction against the rails, and reduced efficiency.) With a round projectile, the field distortions are reduced, but it will still twist. Since it's round, it can spin freely without digging into the sides.
Now, whether current density is still a problem, I'm not quite clear on that..

I worked as a machinist for about 1/2 year, and my (ex-)boss said I'm free to use any of the machines/tools whenever I need, so machining the parts won't be a problem.
Neuuubeh
Sun Nov 21 2010, 10:18AM
Neuuubeh Registered Member #3411 Joined: Sat Nov 13 2010, 08:25PM
Well, there are some roundbore railguns the "big" guys use (60mm if im not mistaken). You can have a look for the kind of projectiles they were playing with in 1988 -> Link2

I got curious, but couldnt find much - what rails does a round bore railgun use??? Concave ones? How would you want to make those :S.

I still do think square would be that much easier to fabricate really well, both projectile and bore - and it could be easier to make really stiff without going offboard with investments.

In case someone is a member at IEEE - Link2 might give ya some answers
Andyman
Mon Nov 22 2010, 12:20AM
A simple ball end-mill would easily do the trick.
Thanks for that pdf!!
rp181
Mon Nov 22 2010, 03:54AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I think thats the main reason people dont. It would be hard to make a accurate round rail. Maybe not hard, but you would need tools.
Artikbot
Mon Nov 22 2010, 12:56PM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
I was thinking about pressed copper sheet.

You know, get a round bar of desired diameter, get two sheets of copper and just press it down to the bar.

It would be for sure the easiest way. Machining the PTFE to do the housing for this hypothetical round halves can be 'easily' solved by making them epoxy-cast instead of PTFE.

If the sheets are pressed with adequate pressure, they can end up having a quite nice shape.

I guess it's the easiest way...Unless you really want to perforate a square bar and then cut it apart in two halves.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: