All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

MMC arcing, blew a cap

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
crashstudio
Mon Sept 21 2015, 08:43PM Print
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
I just added another transformer and redesigned the mmc from 2 strings of 20 to 3 strings of 16 with 3 other taps at 15, 14 and 13 for an LTR capacitance of 28nf, 30nf, 32nf and 35nf. The first power up with a varaic it started to arc somewhere then the Terry filter safety gap kicked in. I repeated this until I realized it was the mmc, I had to pull it out of the drawer to see it happen. It looked like one of the caps was blown but after removing it from the circuit it tested good.
I'm wondering if maybe the caps are too close to each other and maybe I need to insulate them? If I do have to insulate do you have any suggestions? I was very careful wiring them. Tested everything along the way. I am sure they are wired perfect, nothing crossed. 3 series strings all paralleled.
Power two 15kv 60ma NST Parallel
Static gap
Terry Filter
Four 80uF PFC caps (2 in parallel for each NST) total 160uF each
1 A/C line filter before the PFC's
Primary is 1/4" copper refrigeration tubing 50'
Secondary 4" x 23" PVC 26awg aprox 1200 turns 20" total height
Toroid 4" x 17" aluminum ducting wrapped in aluminum tape

Here is a link to all pics...
Link2

Thank you
Ash Small
Tue Sept 22 2015, 10:19AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I'd get a plastic container, boil up some cheap cooking oil to remove any moisture, and just immerse the whole MMC in oil.

If this solves the problem I might then try to construct something more elaborate wink
crashstudio
Tue Sept 22 2015, 08:04PM
It functioned perfect with the one NST but now I'm thinking the extra current from the second one is causing it to arc right? If I construct something different then how much space will I need between contacts to avoid an arc?
The thing that causes me to question the cause is every image I see online of an mmc they are always mounted so close to each other, some of them much closer than mine. Or is that most people aren't pushing 120ma through their mmc?
Ash Small
Tue Sept 22 2015, 10:16PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I've not built an MMC myself yet (except with parallelled 'hand rolled' caps) but I imagine you could reduce the ohmic resistance on the back of the board.

I'd try shortening the connections between the caps to reduce resistance, before adding additional strings to deal with the extra power.

Reducing resistance to a minimum is always going to improve performance anyway.

I'd still put it under oil first, then see if reducing resistance improves things wink

Just my opinion, see what others say.
1442960192 3414 FT173249 Mmc
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Sept 23 2015, 01:04AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Just adding another transformer for "more power" is not enough, the capacitor needs to match the impedance of the transformer so that it is in a sense, a constant current charging source.

Your Z = 125 K ohm
Your Resonant C= 21.2nF
your LTR C = 30nF

So that all checks out, I agree it's probably a corona issue then.
I have had my MMC's flash over, even a distance of 3".

You might also consider getting a rotary gap going so you can better control how fast the energy is "removed" from the system.
crashstudio
Wed Sept 23 2015, 05:22AM
OK so if I have to dissemble the mmc and redesign it I'm totally up for it but not sure how to match the impedance. I've been following the specs from TelsaMap which only says 34.3nF for optimum capacitance, then I just provided 3 additional tap points. Could the wires be the problem? I'm using the 15kv high voltage.
I obviously still have much to learn so I really need someone to point my in the right direction please.
Here's the pics of my TeslaMap specs.
1442985676 54484 FT173249 Coil Specs

1442985676 54484 FT173249 Mmc Specs
crashstudio
Thu Sept 24 2015, 09:00PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

You might also consider getting a rotary gap going so you can better control how fast the energy is "removed" from the system.

TeslaMap shows that if I use a rotary gap my mmc would need to be 55.3nF. Is this right? Besides for now I would really like to stick with the static. My coil worked great with it powered by one NST. I already added 8 caps and rewired it from 2 strings of 20 to 3 strings of 16. And how do I go about calculating resistance in the mmc? If all caps were closer together that would reduce it right? I designed it with them so far apart in hopes of avoiding any flash over.
I just really want to avoid the many hours it will take to reconstruct this without first fully knowing what I'm doing.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Sept 25 2015, 01:05AM
You can do what you want, but I run 1.4x Cres with rotaries all the time and it works fine.

I did the simulations, just like Terry Fritz did ages ago and it calculates out.

What you are looking for is the capacitor to be charged in a constant current mode, and to load the transformer to the appropriate terminal voltage and current, that is all.

If you really want to know what is going on, characterize your transformer, and do a simulation, it takes time and patience but it is worth it to know what is really going on.
crashstudio
Fri Sept 25 2015, 11:42PM
I've been doing some reading online and came to the same conclusion that I need a rotary gap. The static gap can't handle the amount of current I have now. Now I need to learn exactly how to design one. Or do I just slap one together with a variable speed control and wing it?
Also, according to my TeslaMap info I will need to alter my mmc to 55.3nF. Do you agree with this?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Sept 26 2015, 01:48AM
Rotary gaps are not all that hard to design and build, but you do need at least a drill press. I built this gap mostly on my Atlas milling machine.
I don't have a proper lathe, but I have a chuck I can put on the Atlas and do the lathe work semi-accurately.

I run 1.4x Cres with rotaries. That 55nF number is for a synchronous gap. My gaps are not synchronous, they are variable speed Dayton
type series motors, which are fine for the job if they are not worked too hard. ^^
013f
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: