All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

winding lathe built -> Enamel-coated copper wire on PVC water pipe - PVC cement to hold the windings

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
tarakan2
Wed Oct 08 2014, 12:13AM Print
tarakan2 Registered Member #3859 Joined: Sun May 01 2011, 03:47PM
I am about to wind my first Tesla coil.

I may have to figure out a way to measure the resonance frequency of the coil as I am winding it. Does this problem arise in real life?

Also I have a great fear. Does PVC cement eat into the enamel coating on the enamel - coated copper wire? Would the coil have shorts between the windings if I wind it on the PVC that is wetted with cement and rub some cement over the wire after everything dries solid?

I wan to make sure that I am not making a defective coil.

Should I calculate mass of the copper? Should I keep track of every turn or can I just rely on the length of the winding for my calculations?
If you were to buy a Tesla secondary, what variables would you be looking for? And what proportions?

Thank you.
Dago
Wed Oct 08 2014, 05:49AM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
Umm why would you use PVC cement to glue the wire to the PVC pipe?

AFAIK PVC cement is solvent cement so it just melts the PVC pipe itself, so you basically need two surfaces made out of PVC for it to do much.

Just use epoxy...
Graham Armitage
Wed Oct 08 2014, 08:02AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
First off, you should start with doing a lot of research and reading old posts on this forum. There are many other factors to consider before deciding on the size and winding of the secondary. Whether you are building a DRSSTC or a Spark Gap tesla, you should understand the rest of the circuit parameters first before winding the coil. Once you have the rough design figured out, you can use something, like JavaTC to model your coil. That will tell you how many turns and length of secondary to use. Do the math before winding and you don't have to measure the resonant freq as you work - this would be difficult! For your first coil, you may want to consider purchasing some TC plans to get you going. At least you know it will work.

As was mentioned there is no reason to use PVC cement. Tape the one end of the wire to the PVC, wind the coil and tape it off. I use super glue to anchor the two ends for safety, then while rotating slowly, coat the entire coil with several coats of polyurethane gloss. That will hold everything together nicely.

Good Luck
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Oct 09 2014, 09:54AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Just use JavaTC to calculate the resonant frequency (be sure to add a few percent (usually around 5-10%) to the bare wire diameter when calculating the number of turns, due to the enamel coating)
Then just get your wire and wind the coil. Do not calculate or measure anything during the winding process. After the coil is finished, just measure its DC resistance and compare with JavaTC output. If it's all right, you're done. If there is some difference, modify the number of turns in JavaTC until the resistances match, this will slightly change your resonant frequency.
tarakan2
Fri Oct 10 2014, 03:09AM
Thank you.
I am looking at the Java Script Tesla Coil program.
It has a lot of strange things to it such as "Height 1(LV end)" and "Height 2 (HV end)" variables.
May I remove the Toroid from my calculation?

I wish I could see the formula or a train of formulas that are used to estimate the Secondary resonance frequency.
I am planning to wind some 1" PVC pipe coils for my experimental purposes and some 4" PVC pipe coils for a traditional Tesla transformer.

I may end up using TeslaMap, but I would prefer an Excel spreadsheet where I can see what came from where.
tarakan2
Fri Oct 10 2014, 05:04AM
Based on what I read, the secondary has to have a self-frequency so the wavelength is 4X the winding length.

Are we STILL using speed of light to convert one to another?
tarakan2
Fri Oct 10 2014, 05:53AM
Based on what I read, the secondary has to have a self-frequency so the wavelength is 4X the winding length.

Dago
Fri Oct 10 2014, 06:45AM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
tarakan2 wrote ...

If I recall correctly this theory has been proven wrong.

I think Steve C. or someone more knowledgeable of the theory can tell more.
Andy
Fri Oct 10 2014, 07:01AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Hi
I thought it would be 1/4th, based on antenna dipolar antenna, but longer wave lengths can work, 1/8, 1/16(maybe) can't remenber others but, sorry is it a E filed or B Feild, big difference?
tarakan2
Fri Oct 10 2014, 09:46PM
So there are many "schools of thought"?
I guess I will wind several transformers of different proportions to see.

If the coil is 1/4 the wavelength, than the wave is X4 the coil length. Am I correct? :)

I firmly believe that there is something behind Tesla physics that requires a lot of attention.
It is not obsolete and should not be retired for decorative purposes only.

A veil of inert gas, sandwiched between two conductive plates does not behave like a dielectric in a capacitor. I had proven it experimentally.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: