Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Magnetic levitation

first  5 6 7 8
Move Thread LAN_403
MagLev
Tue Jan 13 2009, 12:22AM
MagLev Registered Member #1512 Joined: Fri May 30 2008, 01:16AM
I've never seen a microwave oven transformer, so I am uncertain. However, I do know one thing: an essential component of eddy current levitators (which is what an aluminum or copper levitator is) is the requirement that there be (at least) two currents, and that the two currents be out of phase with each other. For instance, one type of levitator described in Propulsion Without Wheels involves levitating an aluminum sphere. To achieve this, the author recommends two methods. In the first, one coil is placed inside another, and the two are separated by some sort of iron ring or pipe (to concentrate the field). These two coils are then powered by different legs of a 3-phase supply, giving you two coils that are 120 degrees out of phase.

A variation on this (also described in the book) is where you have the same setup, with the difference being that the inner coil is replaced with a piece of very thick, solid (i.e. not split) copper pipe. In this case, current is induced in the copper pipe by virtue of the magnetic field generated by the first coil. So you still have some sort of phase difference between the outer coil (powered by AC) and the inner "coi", a.k.a. the pipe, which is "powered" by eddy currents.

Either one of these setups is used to levitate a small aluminum sphere.

A variation on this involves levitating a piece of aluminum shaped something like a dish or pie pan. This is described in Meiners' Physics Demonstration Experiments book. However, this one requires 3-phase power.

So I don't know about the MOTs- all I know is that there would need to be some sort of phase difference between different windings. Also, from my research, the shape and size of the object to be levitated is fairly critical, depending on your setup. That is, the sphere levitator described above will only levitate spheres of a specific size- it will not levitate discs, sheets, toroids, or whatever else. So I don't know what shape an "MOT levitator" would be best suited for, either.
BigBad
Sat Nov 27 2010, 07:53AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Classic Laithwaite maglev video of his 'magnetic river'. Rather cool!

Link2

There's also a paper here:

Link2

that talks about Laithwaites lev stuff quite a bit.
BigBad
Fri Mar 16 2012, 05:45PM
FWIW a few months back I built a maglev set up using a combination of permanent magnets for the lift and a spinning aluminium disk giving the electrodynamic levitation for the stability. Air gap was about a centimeter.

I did some measurements of the drag on the aluminium from the magnets and it was only about 50-100 mN, so the overall lift power seems to be about a watt per kilogram, or so, and I could probably get it a lot lower.

Technically it was only pseudo levitation in the actual demo version, because I had to tether it laterally against the electrodynamic drag- my final version works like a train, so it will be pulled along by a propulsion system (probably a linear motor) rather than the tether.
BigBad
Sun Jul 22 2012, 09:44PM
This is pretty cute, albeit a bit wobbly looking because of the lumpy fields they're generating:

invintive
Wed Oct 09 2013, 02:05AM
invintive Registered Member #26228 Joined: Tue Jun 25 2013, 12:22PM
I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to build a magnetic levitator and I am a self taught electronics hobbyist (noob). Currently I have a working levitator, but it becomes quite unstable if it is disturbed at all. I am hoping to implement the feed forward circuit in the first post, but I am unfamiliar with OPAMPs. How am I supposed to power it? does it require a negative voltage?

Any comments, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
BigBad
Sun Oct 20 2013, 07:42PM
There's plenty of circuits around to do that.

I haven't tried it:

Link2
first  5 6 7 8

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: