Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Miniature wireless power demonstrator

Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Sat Apr 24 2010, 01:47PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi all,

I updated the faq with some debugging tips.

Jifficoil: If the receiver capacitor is overheating, do the same for it what I did on the transmitter - use several smaller caps in parallel!
ALthough it gets hot in mine too, 40-50 degrees C is still ok. The wireI used for the receiver loop did get hotter though!

Marko
matilda
Thu May 13 2010, 09:51PM
matilda Registered Member #2856 Joined: Thu May 13 2010, 09:48PM
What is the efficiency of this demonstrator and how can I measure it?
Marko
Sat May 15 2010, 06:30PM
matilda wrote ...

What is the efficiency of this demonstrator and how can I measure it?

Hi matilda,

the best way to measure the efficiency of the setup would be to rectify the output, insert amp and volt meters suitably and compare the voltage and current product to one on the input. I've only made rough estimations so far by comparing the brightness of the bulb to it's brightness at rated voltage.

Marko
Lightscape
Thu Jul 01 2010, 08:30AM
Lightscape Registered Member #2955 Joined: Thu Jul 01 2010, 08:05AM
Hello there,
I got a coupleof questions:
1. how hot will the coils become??
2. will RFID devices in the surounding be destroyed?

also if this is the case how would i tune the original design that it only transmits For about 3/4cm and is that even posible?
i need a device that wirelessly charges a device trough its airtight casing. i need about 500mA inside the device more is welcome ofc.
Marko
Sun Jul 04 2010, 12:04PM
Hi lightscape,

1. I used 10mm pipe in my transmitter which was overkill enough not to get hot much by itself. It seemed to get warm by conducting some heat from the circuit board and heatsink more than from actual ohmic losses in it. I estimate it gets to 30 deg C or so. You could use 6mm copper pipe just fine. The whole circuit needs a lot of ventilation for mosfets and resistors though, which tend to get much hotter.

The receiver coil was of 3mm solid copper wire and got quite hot, probably up to like 50C or so. Never measured it correctly but it is painful to touch it after left running for a while. I'd recommend 4mm or 6mm copper pipe to be used there instead of wire.

2. Very unlikely, actually. If you have some RFID's to trash, you could try it yourself - I didn't. But after playing for a while with the circuit I realized it will do little harm to anything electronic that doesn't contain LC circuits specifically resonant at operating frequency of the oscillator (1.5Mhz). RFID's working at 134kHz will absorb little power from 1.5Mhz field, and they have built-in zeners which clamp the input voltage in case it goes over their ratings. Survivability depends mainly on ratings of this zener.

The circuit could probably become an efficient rfid destroyer if it operated at RFID frequency, or was just scaled up to many times it's original power.

also if this is the case how would i tune the original design that it only transmits For about 3/4cm and is that even posible?
i need a device that wirelessly charges a device trough its airtight casing. i need about 500mA inside the device more is welcome ofc.

If you wanted the oscillator to start transmitting only at 4cm you would need to do it actively (infrared sensors?). You specified just the current not the power - though over just 4cm you could transfer like 10 watts quite efficiently.

Marko
Lightscape
Tue Jul 06 2010, 12:38PM
Sorry about posting only the current the power thats needed in the device is between 12 an 15V, so not dramaticly much. Also i can't make a infrared loop to activate the device since the entire case is filled with oil, and must be pressure tight. Implementing an IR window can be a bottleneck in the designso any other idues to remotely get the device on? I was thinking of a simple LDR n the base socket but the problem then is that every night the device will be on also a simple switch is mechanic and i rather avoid that.

If i make the receiver coil thicker that leads to less temp i take it?

secondary question is the power supplys and LDO drivers of internal parts of the internal circuitry uses 10mH and 470mH chokes can this be a problem?

Marko
Tue Jul 06 2010, 06:34PM
Lightscape wrote ...

Sorry about posting only the current the power thats needed in the device is between 12 an 15V, so not dramaticly much. Also i can't make a infrared loop to activate the device since the entire case is filled with oil, and must be pressure tight. Implementing an IR window can be a bottleneck in the designso any other idues to remotely get the device on? I was thinking of a simple LDR n the base socket but the problem then is that every night the device will be on also a simple switch is mechanic and i rather avoid that.

If i make the receiver coil thicker that leads to less temp i take it?

secondary question is the power supplys and LDO drivers of internal parts of the internal circuitry uses 10mH and 470mH chokes can this be a problem?

Hi,

I'm not sure if I understood what exactly you wanted. Why do you want to ''reduce the range'' to 4cm anyway? What's wrong with simply implementing an UVLO circuit which turns the charger off if the receiver voltage falls below useful value?

I don't think the chokes will be a problem, although I'd still shield the more sensitive analog parts of the circuit.
And yes, make the receiver loop thicker. 4mm refrigeration copper tubing would work great.

Marko

Lightscape
Wed Jul 07 2010, 01:51PM
Making it about 4cm eliminates all possible problems that could happen in seroundings jittering tvs radio scrampling hysteresis loops on other frequentsies etc it will be a tiny transmitter that cant do any"harm" due to its limited range. 10cm is also good enough but wat i dont want is a field of 1m radious where transmissinon on 1.5Mz will be lost.

Marko
Wed Jul 07 2010, 10:16PM
Lightscape wrote ...

Making it about 4cm eliminates all possible problems that could happen in seroundings jittering tvs radio scrampling hysteresis loops on other frequentsies etc it will be a tiny transmitter that cant do any"harm" due to its limited range. 10cm is also good enough but wat i dont want is a field of 1m radious where transmissinon on 1.5Mz will be lost.

Hi,

making the circuit turn off at a distance greater than 4cm is absolutely no cure for interference. Only a faraday cage around the whole setup is!

The tank circuit circulating tens of amps in Mhz range is still a formidable radio transmitter despite it's small size in relation to wavelength, and the signal could likely be detected from kilometers away rather than meters (despite total radiated output might be just a fraction of a watt)
The best way to prevent these problems is choice of the operating frequency. 1.5Mhz would be a poor choice if you don't want to interfere with AM radio's nearby. And you would probably want to avoid frequencies used by RFID devices as well.

Marko
Lightscape
Thu Jul 08 2010, 08:30AM
TY, that cleared up so many things. also indicates u design (wich is awsome i have to admit) won't be the best sollution in my project its always good to know such a thing before starting

TY for the advices and gl in further projects

PS if know any goood articles other then the ones posted plz let me know

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: