Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Improved single transistor flyback driver

Move Thread LAN_403
Antonio
Wed May 14 2008, 01:04AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
About high-voltage transistors, in all the monitors that I have seen the flyback is driven by a transistor rated at 1500 V, several A. Just find the transistor connected to the flyback primary winding where you found the flyback. Take also the diode also rated at 1500 V that is in parallel with it, and the high voltage capacitor (several nF, 1600 V) that is usually there too.
quicksilver
Wed May 14 2008, 03:12PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
I could be wrong about this but the transistor that you are taking about IS rated at 1500v but at the low current (ma) level level. I was looking up a great many transistors on my day off and I am very well acquainted with ripping guts from old stuff and re-using it. Unfortunately the transistor (equivalent to a C4634) is a 1500v but low current according to data sheet. You may have gotten lucky; but I'd check again because the high voltage/low current part is common.

However if you have a monitor that you want to use for parts there is a large fellow that's 400v / 12A & it's the C4423. There are also a few MJE13005, MJE13007 & 9's available. Those fellows are common.

I'm of the opinion that there are so many vast differences in flybacks & their construction that not one transistor or methodology is the answer. However I've found some commonalities..... If you use well made, evenly spaced coils (even and well constructed) with a thicker well insulated wire, you may have better arcs. The idea of an 8/4 winding is what I have had success with also. BUT, I've also had fantastic success with a weird 10/3 winding that if I changed it....but fall to sh*t....

The best transistor for a variety of transformers that I have personally used (over a broad spectrum of flybacks) is the 2N3773. Best performance over a broader range.....I have ripped apart a very large amount of stuff; for a really large selection of parts. Another great source for power transistors are larger, broken amplifiers for home stereos, musical instruments, etc.

I get a monitor (or TV or MO - whatever) and really pull every part off that bastard. Using the traces and looking closely at the circuit board helps a lot in understanding a great many things! THEN finding out what I've got in the way of transistors becomes a real challenge. Because a transistor MAY be used for horizontal diffusion in a TV (let's say) but it could still be used in HV applications....IF you check the specs and don't simply make a generalization based on superficialities.

It's been a good learning process for me. The parts are there! There are very few things that need to be bought. But I am beginning to see th value in a big breadboard.
dingo27
Wed May 14 2008, 03:59PM
dingo27 Registered Member #890 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 10:06PM
that diode you are talking about is BY329 series as i writed few posts sooner. Usually looks like TO220 but only with 2 legs...

that diode is perfect for most applications
Mads Barnkob
Wed May 14 2008, 05:23PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Another thought on optimization.

I used 0,75 mm^2 (awg 18-19) pvc insulated wire to wind primary and feedback, would it be better to use heavy enamaled magnet wire?

I have now written about my version of it and pictures can be seen at http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/high-voltage/2n3055-flyback-driver/

for now its in danish till I have time to translate it, but there is still pictures to enjoy
Antonio
Thu May 15 2008, 12:09AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
This is the biggest flyback driver transistor that I have, found in a monitor:
Link2
Another, less powerful, but easier to find. It has many equivalents:
Link2
Transistors are really limited to low currents, if they are sustaining high voltage at the same time and for long periods. Power dissipation limits this. But in these flyback drivers they operate ideally as switches, with high current at low voltage or no current at high voltage, and only at switching instants there is significant power dissipation.
Another useful component that you can find in monitors are switching power supply controllers. Some are very simple to use, and are more flexible that the 555s that people is using to control the drivers. An example:
Link2
quicksilver
Thu May 15 2008, 05:11AM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
@MadsKaizer: I've had VERY good responses w/ the insulated 18. In fact, that's all I use now. I can honestly tell a difference between that and the enameled thinner magnet material. But what I've found very important is that simply by the insulation, my coils are tighter and even and that may be a serious issue (IMO). In addition, if the core has sharp corners, it can shave off the enamel.

@ Antonio: Posting what you have found is a GREAT help. The basic problem is that often (depending upon the year of manufacture and maker) the nomenclature (naming conventions) can differ. But generally a Cxxxx is common enough to get most folks close. Good stuff!
dingo27
Fri May 16 2008, 07:35PM
whoah, i tried thet schematics with diode and cap. and what i found is, that when i use that, i blow every 2n3055 in it. I blowed 2 and don't want to blow another... What capacitance i should use?

aaah... i was really angry for that, i trashed circuit board to wall...

it was working once, few seconds...
Dr. Dark Current
Fri May 16 2008, 07:44PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
dingo27 wrote ...

whoah, i tried thet schematics with diode and cap. and what i found is, that when i use that, i blow every 2n3055 in it. I blowed 2 and don't want to blow another... What capacitance i should use?

aaah... i was really angry for that, i trashed circuit board to wall...

it was working once, few seconds...
If you mean the resonant capacitor, it should be between 200nF to 500nF (approx.) and it MUST be non-polarised film or foil type, (PP/MKP type preferred).

-try to start with lower voltages and if nothing happens, reverse polarity of one of the coils.

dingo27
Sat May 17 2008, 09:18AM
it worked, it worked... i used 0.47uF (470n, right?) foil from power supply clearing circuit...

but nothing with it was working as without it. Maybe i am using BAD transistor, because first manufacturer was (i dunno name, some stupid logo i newer saw yet... maybe china stuff), but as i am using ones with ISC on it, i burn them as with ot without C and D.

Dont buy 2n3055 with ISC on it! next time i will request another manufacturer from local radio shack.
Berni
Sat May 17 2008, 10:23AM
Berni Registered Member #1132 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 06:15PM
I once got my hands on some fake 2N3055.

They could handle as much power as a signal transistor.Then i grinded it open and saw a tiny die in there that was coverd in some white stuff.These fake trasistor had its partnumber printed on it in red, then found out all these red 2N3055 are fake

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: