All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oscillations Redux

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
sngecko
Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:28PM Print
sngecko Registered Member #3447 Joined: Fri Nov 26 2010, 11:10PM
Some of you will remember my gas laser/discharge power supply, current regulator postings in the past, which led to a nice, stable neon lamp glowing merrily.

Today I received two new-old-stock Siemens Helium Neon lasers for further testing. The are roughly the same geometrically and electrically as the Mells Griot HeNe that met its premature end a few months ago. After the success of the small neon lamp, I expected all things to go well. Not so fast.

The pre-strike current flow certainly was stopped by the grounded grid, thanks to Proud Mary. Upon striking, my instrumentation showed 4 mA through the tube and somewhere under 2kV dropping across it. That was just as it should be. There was no flicker on and off as in the initial experiment. The main problem, however, came again from a high-pitched noise accompanied by the cooling fans' stoppage. The thought of the anode seal overheating and the oscillation destroying my FETs led me to shut down the experiment after 10 seconds or so.

So, from whence comes this oscillation? If I had an oscilloscope (seems obvious, right?), I think I would probe (1) the op-amp output that is driving the MOSFET or (2) the FET drain.

When I first ran SPICE simulations, I saw that the TL084 JFET-input op-amp model provided by TI would oscillate very quickly around the set current value. When I used the similar Linear models (LT1001), the output was solid. The regulator is using TL084s. I thought the simulation oscillation was a fluke, and I don't want to buy LTs unless I know that the problem is related to my application of the TL084s.

Also, what is the link between the oscillation and the fan stoppage. The fans all run off of a +24V SMPS that is not connected at all to the drive/instrumentation circuits (they run off of a linear +/- 15V PSU), except through the main input and chassis ground... I think. I should also mention (in relation to a post by Forty earlier) that the power supply is referenced to earth ground. So, all the power supplies, the regulation circuitry below, and the HV power supply share a connection to chassis ground and, by extension, earth ground.

Here's the circuit,
1334784477 3447 FT0 Frankencircuit
Proud Mary
Wed Apr 18 2012, 11:27PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
What is the source of the 5V/14.5A filament supply?
sngecko
Wed Apr 18 2012, 11:31PM
Each filament has its own 5V, 20A transformer. The center tapped secondary is not connected. A simple relay switches on the transformer.

I forgot to mention above that there are two such circuits, but I can only use one at a time, as I have only one triode.
Proud Mary
Thu Apr 19 2012, 12:22AM
I won't comment on the SMPS, and its failing fan, as there are many others here who know them far better than I ever will.

But as for the 3-500Z - triodes are always looking for an opportunity to oscillate, and will find feedback paths beyond the limited imaginings of circuit simulators unless we take definite steps to stop them.

I would start off by sticking some chokes in the anode, grid and cathode lines. The self-resonant frequencies of these chokes should all be different and not harmonically related. If you are unable to actually measure the self-resonant frequency, then choose values such as 2.2, 4.7, and 6.8 mH. These different values will stop the triode from implementing any Miller effect or tuned-anode-tuned-grid oscillatory stunts that it may have been planning.

Then I think you should decouple the line between the laser cathode and the triode anode. For example, wire a 4K7 wirewound from the laser cathode to the triode anode choke, and bypass the junction between resistor and choke directly to Earth/chassis via a suitably robust capacitor of 100nF. This will also make it harder for the laser - a gas diode - to get up to any negative resistance oscillator hi-jinx which it may have been planning with the triode.

Make sure that you use a common earth point for the connections around the valve socket, or you will have trillions of electrons running round in little loops all over your chassis. Each loop will have its own magnetic field, which will try to induce currents in whatever conductors will listen to them. smile
sngecko
Thu Apr 19 2012, 12:57AM
How would I measure the self-resonance of this arrangement, if I had an o-scope? it would depend on the laser, right? If I knew this self-resonant frequency, how could I best attenuate it? I may look into buying a little 2MHz USB oscilloscope.

I certainly will look into the chokes on the triode, but I'm concerned about putting a resistor in the main current line (i.e., between the laser cathode and the triode anode). The circuit could be passing 80mA and I was going for efficiency with the whole active regulator thing.
Proud Mary
Thu Apr 19 2012, 01:22AM
The problem with trying to establish the self-resonant frequency of your whole arrangement is that it is a dynamic circuit, and even very small changes in parameters might caught instability.

Outside of the new wave of thermionic valve audio designers, the use of chokes as I have described is a common prophylactic measure in power valve design - especially where directly heated valves are used. You assume there will be instability unless you take steps to prevent it.

If you are not ready to add the series resistor I have proposed, then as second best, I would suggest bypassing the laser cathode to Earth via a capacitor of 100nF - 500nF so that unwanted blips and spikes that might trigger oscillation are sent directly to Earth. Clearly, this capacitor will add some lag into the circuit's response, so don't make the capacitor larger than you have to.

sngecko
Thu Apr 19 2012, 01:28AM
Sounds like a plan. Before I rip this thing apart, two things occur to me. (1) It might work just fine with a huge CO2 laser head on there, like the much smaller neon lamp, and (2) it would be pretty informative to just see the noise in the line...

Also, any idea why the +24 V power supply fails as soon as the discharge lamp starts, but then comes back on when it's extinguished? That's weird to me.
Proud Mary
Thu Apr 19 2012, 09:30AM
sngecko wrote ...

Sounds like a plan. Before I rip this thing apart, two things occur to me. (1) It might work just fine with a huge CO2 laser head on there, like the much smaller neon lamp, and (2) it would be pretty informative to just see the noise in the line...

Also, any idea why the +24 V power supply fails as soon as the discharge lamp starts, but then comes back on when it's extinguished? That's weird to me.

When you say the 24 V (SMPS) supply 'fails', I take it you mean it trips. Is this a response to an over-current condition, or an anomalous condition caused by high voltage or unwanted circuit artifcats going back down the line? Stick a high voltage diode in the 24V line to block anything that may be trying to go the wrong way, and monitor the current to see what, if any, transition occurs at the moment of lamp starting.
Steve Conner
Thu Apr 19 2012, 10:26AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Switched mode power supplies can do just about anything when hit with RF.

I agree that stoppers on the tube electrodes would be a good thing to try, but I don't see the need for chokes. The currents in the circuit are pretty small compared to a RF amplifier, so those cement block wirewound resistors should do fine. Put a 100 ohm one in series with the grid of the 3-500Z if you haven't already: right at the tube socket. If that doesn't help, you can also try one on the plate terminal, or a higher value like 1k.

Of course, the oscillations could also be coming from the op-amp or MOSFET stages, or they could be "Nyquist" oscillations encompassing the whole feedback loop. But the symptoms suggest a pretty high frequency, so the tube is the most likely culprit.

I also suggest not wasting your money on a low-end USB oscilloscope. Get a cheap second-hand analog one instead.
sngecko
Thu Apr 19 2012, 01:25PM
It sounds like I should buy/borrow/steal an oscilloscope and try to determine the identity of these illicit electron trafficking oscillations.

I'm pretty sure that the dropping out of the +24V SMPS is tied directly to the oscillations, as everything seemed to work fine when the small neon discharge lamp was working. But as soon as the oscillations started acting up, it dropped out.

Also, during the last HeNe laser test, the frequency of the audible oscillation changed as I adjusted the set current. This seems to suggest, as is almost obvious, that the oscillation is in the op-amp driver or the current regulation chain.

Would it make any sense to try and shield the SMPS? Or its input and output lines with ferrite beads?
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: