Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Odin The All-Fragger: a large DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Jul 10 2006, 09:02AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi Steve

I found that my first attempt at a gate driver floated its output high in the same way. I think I documented that and the fix I used for it back over on the old board.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that 1/4" pipe is too wimpy. The pipe I have is slightly smaller than 1/4" in fact. I probably ought to start over with a bigger resonator too. But I'll probably go with it for testing, it should hold up for short runs.

It's good to know I was right in suspecting that I could leave the film decoupling caps out, too wink
Steve Conner
Mon Jul 24 2006, 10:22AM
Update:

I'm real busy with work, and my band is in the middle of recording an EP, so Odin has got kind of neglected lately. I will finish it though! smile I've wound all the isolating transformers and bought the Cat5 sockets. I decided to make a new primary from 3/8" copper pipe, cable ties, and the lid of an Ikea plastic laundry basket, so I need to go and do some shopping. wink

I also decided to order another batch of PLL boards, since I screwed up and couldn't supply them to everyone who wanted them.
Steve Conner
Fri Aug 25 2006, 12:26PM
Ikea laundry basket sourced! smile Nothing else to report except the record is getting mixed this weekend and then I can concentrate on the coil neutral

I apologize to anyone that I said I would sell electronics to and then kept waiting. I've just ended up being way too busy with other stuff. I really want to get Odin finished and demonstrate that he works before I go selling the isolated gate drive system. I don't want to sell stuff unless I'm 100% sure that it's good. Well 95% maybe wink

Steve Conner
Mon Mar 12 2007, 12:06AM
Update: I had to wander off and do a load of other stuff that pinched all my evenings and weekends, but I'm now back on this project! I spent ages designing it, and this year would be Tesla's 150th birthday, so it's got to be done.
Download
Mon Mar 12 2007, 01:10AM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
i have no idia what it does but i like it!
Marko
Mon Mar 12 2007, 03:02PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi steve

Well some good news.. there weren't DRSSTC's around for a while, I can't wait to see more progress!

Just regarding the HI-pot test, I would be a bit vary about those little transformers, if you plan hooking them up to a MOT!

Actually, I don't trust transformers wound with just enamelled wire even for low voltages, after I had some of them get their lacquer damaged and short out... You'l have 800 volts across your transformers!

Now I paranoidly use PVC insulated wires and I didn't regret that yet... CAT5, screened, various tiny coax and similar cables are also handy, but that's amtter of opinion I guess!

Steve Conner
Mon Mar 12 2007, 03:22PM
You are right. If they're going to short out, I don't want to have the cap bank discharge through them and destroy the whole driver. So I need to test them to make sure they can stand the voltage plus a big safety margin. Hence, a MOT on a variac putting out, say, 1600V peak suprised

If it does turn out to be a problem, I can rewind them with kynar wire-wrap wire or such like.

The primary and secondary windings are separated on opposite sides of the core, and I believe ferrite is an insulator (sort of)
Marko
Mon Mar 12 2007, 03:43PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Regarding ferrite, I managed to make it arc over at several hundred volts to kilovolt or so.
It probes as and insulator, but actually conducts HV pretty well once it ''breaks down'' at some point.

Real danger is, actually, not only blowing your driver but also blowing your IGBT gates, IIRC.

Good luck with Hi-pot test...
Steve Ward
Mon Mar 12 2007, 05:32PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I second that enamel wire sucks for GDT use, since its highly probable that the person winding it will end up scraping off some enamel when it rubs against the ferrite (which by the way, is an OK conductor, definately not an insulator!). Ive had my mag-wire GDTs fail in SSTC service with a plume of smoke and a shattered ferrite!

On my DRSSTC 2 im using cat-5 wire, which i tested with a 9kV NST for hours (its good stuff at 60hz). The NST failed before the twisted pair of cat 5 did!! Of course, this was a perfect, new piece of wire, no nicks in the insulation or any of that.

Steve Conner
Mon Mar 12 2007, 09:22PM
Oh well, you guys were right. All four driver boards failed the hi-pot test completely, the transformers sizzled and went up in smoke at about 500V. Back to the drawing board, I guess dead

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: