Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Marx Generator Kits - FREE Kits for Evaluation!

Move Thread LAN_403
Alex M
Mon Jan 28 2013, 01:46PM
Alex M Registered Member #3943 Joined: Sun Jun 12 2011, 05:24PM
Just letting easternvoltageresearch/Allison/Dan know that my kit has arrived safely here in the UK.

I must say I really do like the black PCB design, its really nice! feels really sturdy too so vertical mounting is a practical choice.

So far I have soldered all of the components in place and have configured the spark gaps, I just used the leads of the capacitors for the electrodes. I haven't powered it up yet but will do the initial low power tests tomorrow after college (the local ham radio guy is going to hate this one!).

8423824859 327116a56c
8423829313 F29bcffaff

This is how I currently have the spark gaps set up. Will probably need some tweaking though. I good tip here is to leave some space between the capacitors and the board, this gives you some headroom to adjust the spark gaps with out having to use some needle nose pliers like I am cheesey

8425293900 76aba8a2ec

Tomorrow I will have a real play with it and will be able to give some real feedback.

(Mods let me know if these images are too big and I will change them to smaller ones).
Physics Junkie
Mon Jan 28 2013, 03:19PM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
Houdini0118 wrote ...

like what leg connects to what leg i tryed straight across and i could get them to all fire but no output and i tryed in a Z configuration and could not get them to fire. And i got not output with ither. Also return is just connected to input - right?
Z configuration. Not straight across, thats bad. You want to keep them configured in parallel, so that when the energy becomes great enough the spark gaps fire to connect in series. Try the opposite Z configuration that. you already did. If you look closely at the pics posted by Allison, you can sort of tell. I'll be posting another video of operation when get mine fired up ( if I get it to fire up tongue) and I'll point this out.
Physics Junkie
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:23AM
Alex, I like how you placed the spark gaps right in the center of the holes, good for visual reference.

Here are some pics of my almost ready setup.

55 15

32 77

12 785

Mounted it on a scrap piece of PCB. I've done tests already, currently uploading a video and will edit it in when its done. Now I am going to go see how I can make it better! :)

Edit, Here's the video Link2 a little overview and operation
I cant seem to get it to fire anymore, It really just sparks when it wants to... I'm wondering if the Rb is a little to high for this? It might just take more tweaking around.

-Harry
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jan 29 2013, 02:48AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Looks great guys! We actually haven't finished testing our own boards. We had benchtop tests that worked great, but they used different capacitors. We plan to get around to building these up real soon - just had another pressing issue we had to work on first.

But everything looks great. Excited to see how you guys make out with them. And if there is a problem, hopefully we can get it pointed out. Hopefully there isn't a mistake in the board artwork.

Thanks again!
HB
Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:15AM
HB Registered Member #4146 Joined: Tue Oct 18 2011, 02:01AM
Just tried to power mine up however i am having some issues. First thing i did was check the voltage on the multiplier it wasn't getting to high so i checked all the caps and diodes and noticed i was missing a trace between cap 12 and 14 jumpered that one together thinking AHA found the problem. Well to my suprise i'm still not getting anything at all out of the marx and i have my gaps set very very close. I'm not sure what the issue is and i am certain i have the marx configured correctly. I believe my issue is something with the multiplier board. Anyone else having issues? I will try and figure it out more in the next few days and also get my camera back to snap some photos.
Houdini0118
Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:21AM
Houdini0118 Registered Member #8558 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2012, 11:38PM
I think im having the same problem. Like the output it just puting out a tiny tiny spark that dosent look like its over 1mm?
Physics Junkie
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:02PM
Houdini0118 wrote ...

I think I'm having the same problem. Like the output it just putting out a tiny tiny spark that doesn't look like its over 1mm?
My hypothesis is that the marx gen caps arn't charging properly, and performance is at its minimum with the spark gaps. I've experienced a bit of premature firing I think, however when I increase SG distance over 1.5mm It doesn't fire. How do you guys have your spark gaps configured? And how are you powering the whole thing?
Alex M
Tue Jan 29 2013, 07:24PM
Alex M Registered Member #3943 Joined: Sun Jun 12 2011, 05:24PM
@Physics Junkie what value are the resistors on your marx board? as in the video you uploaded they look like 10 ohm resistors.
HB
Tue Jan 29 2013, 08:29PM
HB Registered Member #4146 Joined: Tue Oct 18 2011, 02:01AM
My gaps are configured just like in your video Physics Junkie. I have spaced them all with a thin piece of plastic and made sure the first gap is a little closer than the rest. My output from the marx is only gapped about a 1/4 inch. i'm gonna split the boards up later and see what kind of output i can get off the multiplier itself. As i said earlier i was missing a trace between cap 12 and 14 so its possible i may have missed seeing another error on the pcb. Also i am powering it straight off my variac and have cranked it up to around 130 volts AC measured by my multimeter. I think i should have gotten atleast something to spark with my gaps on the marx set so close together but nadda. I'll keep you guys updated.

Edit: I've tested the voltage multiplier by itself with a lower volatge AC transformer. 18 Volts input after 5th stage i hit 101ish volts after that it starts dropping and i get no more than 70 volts out at the end of the multiplier. At 18 volts in i think i should be seeing about 430 volts so its definetly something screwy in the multiplier. Now to find out which component is faulty as i have checked them all on board and all seem fine. Time to start desoldering i guess!
Physics Junkie
Tue Jan 29 2013, 10:49PM
Alex1M6 wrote ...

@Physics Junkie what value are the resistors on your marx board? as in the video you uploaded they look like 10 ohm resistors.
1M ohm I think maybe 2M. Ill double check this and let you know. I sure hope they are not 10 ohm lol

EDIT: 1M ohm, gold green black brown rings.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: