All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need help for HVHF pulse generator using function generator

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
rororo74
Sun Oct 12 2014, 11:47PM Print
rororo74 Registered Member #1124 Joined: Fri Nov 16 2007, 01:42PM
Hi all,

I have bought all equipment necessary since 2009 but due to numerous setbacks I have never proceeded in utilising them until now.
I have a 15KV neon transformer, a 0-20MHz function generator, an osciloscope and a 40KV probe for it.

I have built very simple circuits at the time with the 555 timer however this is very different and I am afraid of toasting the equipment!

Function:
1. Primary target frequency 1MHz.
2. I would like to have capacitors charging and discharging at the rate of the pulse generator.
3. The capacitors should charge into the KV.
4. The capacitors should discharge into a spark gap.

Can someone more experienced point me in the right direction or even better help me built an appropriate circuit?
The purpose of the generator is to eventually drive a number of projects such as Tesla coils (in a wide range of frequencies) and experiment with 'radiant energy' (as it is generally known).

Thanks for any help as I need it.
Patrick
Mon Oct 13 2014, 06:48PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
youll need to post a schematic or at least a flow chart, or i dont think we know what you really are trying to do.
Sulaiman
Mon Oct 13 2014, 11:01PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I do not clearly understand your intentions
but there are a couple of things that you should be aware of;

. An NST operates at line frequency (50 or 60 Hz)
. An NST has a high source impedance (Vsec/Isec)
. Transistors that switch at 1 MHz don't (as far as I am aware) handle kilovolts

as above, a little more information is required as to your goals ...
GrantX
Wed Oct 15 2014, 02:57AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be very difficult to get a spark gap to fire in phase with your signal/pulse generator. A spark gap will fire when there is enough voltage to ionize the gas in between the electrodes, and the voltage required for it to fire will change depending on electrode temperature, air temperature, and the rate that hot gas can be removed (air flow directed through the gap to quench it). And each pulse of the spark gap isn't just a single event with a rising and falling slope; when the capacitor discharges the energy will ring back and forth across the gap, like the return strokes of a lightning strike. This ringing occurs at the natural resonant frequency of the capacitor and the inductance of the wiring (this is how a spark gap Tesla coil is tuned). It will be difficult to build a spark gap that can fire continuously (and reliably) beyond 1-2kHz without forming a constant power arc, as it's more difficult to properly quench a gap as the firing rate increases.
rororo74
Thu Oct 16 2014, 02:19AM
Basically the generator should be generating a square wave at 1MHz, and this should be regarded as just the clock or timer of the system.

1. The rest of the circuit should check this wave and when it goes to +ve it should allow the capacitors to charge up.
2. Capacitors can take time to charge, so some pretty fast caps are needed capable of HV at RF.
3. Ideally the cap should discharge before the beginning of the next cycle.
4. And of course the cycle starts again.

There are many simple circuits all over the net using 555 timers and mosfets etc.
There are even some with capacitors e.g. camera flash.
There are some with HF but not KV e.g. 4MHz solid state tesla coils.
However I have never seen any circuits in the RF using caps.

The intension is to be able to charge/discharge HV caps based on the clock of the function generator.
rororo74
Thu Oct 16 2014, 02:42AM
@GrantX
You are right about the difficulties regarding the spark gap.
I do not know how high a frequency can be reliably achieved - I am aiming at the highest possible value - hopefully in the MHz.
I am guessing that there should be a certain distance between the gaps that depends on the setup - fine tuning is required.
Hot air should be removed e.g. fan should be used.

Regarding the ringing effect.... I think this is induced when a cap and a coil are used.
I think this was the only way HFHV could be achieved at Tesla's time.
I am thinking a little differently - of course I am not saying that I am correct in my thinking.
If I can generate the sparking on demand at any of these frequencies, then I can have more control and will avoid tuning problems etc.
Of course I do not want this specifically for a Tesla coil.
Primarily it is to explore HVHF effects that have to do with radiant energy.

GrantX
Thu Oct 16 2014, 05:09AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
rororo74 wrote ...

@GrantX
You are right about the difficulties regarding the spark gap.
I do not know how high a frequency can be reliably achieved - I am aiming at the highest possible value - hopefully in the MHz.
I am guessing that there should be a certain distance between the gaps that depends on the setup - fine tuning is required.
Hot air should be removed e.g. fan should be used.

Regarding the ringing effect.... I think this is induced when a cap and a coil are used.
I think this was the only way HFHV could be achieved at Tesla's time.
I am thinking a little differently - of course I am not saying that I am correct in my thinking.
If I can generate the sparking on demand at any of these frequencies, then I can have more control and will avoid tuning problems etc.
Of course I do not want this specifically for a Tesla coil.
Primarily it is to explore HVHF effects that have to do with radiant energy.

A coil is just a piece of wire that is wrapped up. Everything has capacitance and inductance and as frequency increases their effects become very noticeable. A capacitor connected directly to a spark gap with extremely short connections will still ring back and forth. The wires connecting the device, and the capacitor's internal connections (and the plates of the capacitor itself) all have inductance, and at 1MHz this will become noticeable. A capacitor sitting by itself without anything connected has its own self-resonant frequency.

The brass static spark gap I used in a Tesla coil would overheat and form a power-arc after only a few minutes, with a 12nF capacitor discharging at around 100-200Hz. This was with only 100-250 VA RMS consumed by the variac and 8kV transformer (at a fairly poor power factor). I was using a high-flow 200mm fan with a PVC duct directing all of the air straight through the electrodes. Spark gaps get very toasty without proper quenching. Look for a nice sized blower capable of moving some serious air and use tungsten electrodes with a reasonably large surface area, if possible.
Proud Mary
Thu Oct 16 2014, 12:55PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I would suggest a pulse forming network (PFN) such as a Rayleigh Line as being the most suitable for producing HV square waves.
Ash Small
Thu Oct 16 2014, 02:24PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I think the clue here is 'radiant energy'. I think any simple circuit designed to produce sparks at these frequencies will require LC tuning, ie a 'Tesla tank' circuit with spark gap, not unlike the primary circuit of an SGTC.

I think this can be done using the NST for power, with resonant charging, or something similar.

teravolt
Thu Oct 16 2014, 04:58PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
if you want 1MHZ that is a time scale of 1us and what you are asking is not easy. if you can do it there probably might be a job for you hear at my work for you. I have never seen a spark gap that will work a 1MHz however a large electron tube mat fit the bill for your switch. depending on what your cap size is you will need a lot more power than a NST. What are you trying to do
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: