Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction Heater - Series Resonant - uC/PLL Tuning [ReactorForge]

first  2 3 4 5
Move Thread LAN_403
Robert2
Tue Feb 03 2015, 07:39AM
Robert2 Registered Member #1773 Joined: Tue Oct 21 2008, 06:56PM
Good Day Josh Campbell !

I have a few questions for you.
Why do you don't use DC blocking cap on out fullbridge?
Why use two different types of ferrite cores?
What will change increase / decrease the working coil diameter of the pipe?
I know it will change the inductance and fo. The smaller diameter of the pipe is greater resistance and losses. You currently use a pipe with a diameter of 10mm I think. Typically, when used under 10-15KW pipe with a diameter of 6mm. What benefits can result from the use of smaller diameter pipes?

Is the cooling of a capacitor is sufficient? Where you bought these capacitors?
Do not heat up the housing elements?
Josh Campbell
Thu Feb 05 2015, 10:14PM
Josh Campbell Registered Member #5258 Joined: Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:15PM
Robert2 wrote ...

Good Day Josh Campbell !

I have a few questions for you.
1. Why do you don't use DC blocking cap on out fullbridge?
2. Why use two different types of ferrite cores?
3. What will change increase / decrease the working coil diameter of the pipe?
4. I know it will change the inductance and fo. The smaller diameter of the pipe is greater resistance and losses. You currently use a pipe with a diameter of 10mm I think. Typically, when used under 10-15KW pipe with a diameter of 6mm. What benefits can result from the use of smaller diameter pipes?

5. Is the cooling of a capacitor is sufficient?
6. Where you bought these capacitors?
7. Do not heat up the housing elements?

1. The second and third prototypes did not have DC blocking caps however the current version does use capacitive coupling between the bridge and matching transformer.
    As you know a DC blocking capacitor should behave like a short at working frequency. Calculate the reactance in ohms of the DC blocking capacitor for a minimum value at your working frequency, Xc(ohms) = 1/(2 x 3.14 x f x C). The reactance should be less than 2 ohms at working frequency, which is around 40-60Khz in my current setup. You also need to pay attention to the self resonance frequency of the capacitor and ensure that the capacitance does not react with the inductance of the primary in the matching transformer in an undesirable way.
  2. I think what you are referring to is the old toroidal cores used in my earlier setup, I just used what I had on hand. I was saturating the core so I added more of a different type. I'm now using a large type 3C85 E core.
  3. It will have a very small effect on inductance and f(o), the bigger issue will be cooling if you go smaller.
  4. The current sizes I'm using on working coils are 1/4" (6.35mm) and 3/8"(9.525mm). The smaller tube offers higher turn count in a smaller area which allows for higher L, lower f(o) and concentration of those parameters in a smaller area, desirable in some setups.
  5. In the old setup the caps got warm operating at 100% but never overheated. The new setup uses Celem water cooled caps, zero thermal issues at 100%.
  6. The old euro-farad caps are from eBay, the new Celem are direct from Celem in Israel.
  7. Yes actually the housing did head up in the old version a bit due to all the parasitic inductance. The new setup with the better matching transformer contains the field much better and has a very low amount of parasitic inducuance.

Here's a video and a few photos of the current setup. I'm working on getting all the specs and build details put together to make this available on this forum and on the Github project repository.

16266322059 9de2781b29 M 16450825651 F506e4c829 M 16450826531 A99437d925 M 16450827421 570f2114ac M 16450828071 8769a2d195 M 15830056374 5510f1d3f6 M 15830057234 E0634ef5d2 M 15832506053 25c6064724 M 16266675497 Bfd43f4a53 M
Robert2
Fri Feb 06 2015, 08:09PM
Thank you very much for your extensive reply.
Why do not I see in you any large capacitors in the power supply of the bridge ? Have followed two large ferrite transformer . This material 3C85 , wrote that this type of E. It seems to me that I see C- cores or UI or L. What did you use the size of the core ? How many turns of the primary winding is ? What power has the final version of the photos , the core ? I am planning heater power of 15KW , I wanted to use the TX58 core 8-10 , 3E25 material Link2

Even considering buying the core :
Link2
F887 material .
Considering also connected to the 4 sets of cores E80 / 38 / 20-3C90 or two sets of U93 / 76 / 30-3C90
Link2
Induction heater will operate at a frequency of ~ 80kHz . Are you able to help me choose which of the available cores that you have presented , and specify the number of sets ? The heater is working with graphite crucible
Josh Campbell
Fri Feb 06 2015, 09:41PM
Robert2 wrote ...

1. Why do not I see in you any large capacitors in the power supply of the bridge?
2. Have followed two large ferrite transformer. This material 3C85 , wrote that this type of E. It seems to me that I see C- cores or UI or L. 3. What did you use the size of the core ?
4. How many turns of the primary winding is ?
5. What power has the final version of the photos , the core ?
6. I am planning heater power of 15KW
7. I wanted to use the TX58 core 8-10 , 3E25 material Link2

1. There are no filter capacitors, the DC supply is unfiltered. At higher power levels this has some important benefits. (low PF, low reactive power, less RFI)
  2. In these photos I'm still using the dual UI cores in an EI configuration. Total AL = 6800
  3. See image below for dimensions.
  4. Primary = 12 turns (Secondary = 1 turn x 4 conductors)
  5. The unit shown can run on single phase 240V drawing 90A (100A breaker) with robust cooling. I limit it in software to about 65A peek input current and find that a modest 30-35A is plenty to heat typical applications with ease and speed.
  6. 15KW of input power? Are you counting reactive power in that total?
  7. 3E25 is made for EMI suppression, although it will likely work it has a sharp drop off in permeability at about 140ºC. The Ferroxcube 3C90 material or similar is ideal for this power application.

Rough UI dimensions.
9TiJZb4s

Planned core type E/I configuration.
Some helpfull core calculators.
Robert2
Sat Feb 07 2015, 07:51AM
Thank you again for your reply. Sometimes it happens that someone does not answer. I am very grateful for your answers.
I want to get the output power of 15KW, induction heater is designed for the early melting of silver in a graphite crucible. In my country, it is not possible to use a single phase power supply with such a large current. The solution is 3x380VAC three phases. I want to use the bridge rectifier, the output will be around 550VDC.
1. How do you adjust the power? You are using a thyristor or SRC to adjust? I think about the power control using the phase shift.
2. You say that you set the maximum input current of the controller. Conclude that the feedback is performed by measuring current flow bridge? Now, however, I noticed that there are two current transformers.

I intend to use high-speed IGBTs, 2MBI200NB-120 PDF Link2
Already predicted to cooling water block.
5304867200 1423295238 Thumb 9782933700 1423295241 Thumb
The makings of a resonant capacitor WIMA FKP-1. 4,6uF Ultimately, it will be 140 pieces of capacitors, mounted on copper flat bar. They will use the fan cooling section. Capacitors Act so that they are between spacing and air can heat away Link2
Ramonn
Thu Feb 19 2015, 10:12PM
Ramonn Registered Member #54436 Joined: Sun Feb 08 2015, 10:33PM
parasole
Wed Mar 25 2015, 03:34PM
parasole Registered Member #54647 Joined: Wed Mar 18 2015, 02:52PM
Hi Josh,
any chance for updates on GitHub/ReactorForge?
Josh Campbell
Sat Dec 16 2017, 08:03PM
Ramonn wrote ...

parasole wrote ...

Hi Josh,
any chance for updates on GitHub/ReactorForge?

Yes. Link2
You can also follow the blog for updates or posts on Patreon. I will continue to update this forum thread as well. Although at some point I might make a new thread, to separate the older models (Prototypes, MKI, II, etc.) from the new ReactorForge types.
first  2 3 4 5

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: