Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Alternative high voltage coupling - sparkgap to solid state.

first  2 3 4 5
Move Thread LAN_403
3l3ctrici7y
Wed Mar 09 2011, 01:35PM
3l3ctrici7y Registered Member #1806 Joined: Sun Nov 09 2008, 04:58AM
Sorry for the question. I was thinking that you are designing a starter for a xenon arc lamp.
Now I read again all the posts and I conclude that your project is for a welder machine. Can you confirm ??
Confirmed. My goal was for a welding machine.

As I said before, the ignition pulse of 0,006 joules is enough to start the arc. The pulses reaches 15000 volts during 0.5 to 1 microseconds at the welding torche / electrode. This pulse produces a spark of 3-4 mm in the open air or 12mm in argon/welding atmosphere (cool electrode, cool atmosphere ). Also you can touche the electrode, see the sparks going to yours fingers and you do not fill any electrical shock.
I like those specifications. The low energy will limit its radiated EMI (something I hear can be quite a problem) and like you said, will limit the heating in the spark gap. I have seen videos of that where people run the HF to their hand; it's just incredible.

Also read the concepts of a arc starter written @ Google Patents, patent 2880376, by Franz Tajbl. It is the bible for construction of arc starters. The main concepts and technics for arc starter are spelled out. Of course, the saturated core tranformer used in that patent is something superseed.

Link2 you for the link. That is very interesting reading.

PS: How can I attache a small clip video in this reply ??
If the video is on your computer, and it is a .mpg or .avi, you can attach it using the dialog when composing a reply. If the video is hosted somewhere such as YouTube, you can simply link to it.
Newton Brawn
Wed Mar 09 2011, 08:35PM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Here is the video!

]10kv_in_the_hands_dscf0165.avi[/file]

It shows the sparks running over a calibrated air gap. When the screw drive get closer, the sparks leave the air gap and jump tp screw drive.

The calibrated gap is used to measure the HV pulses.
The needles under HV are "screwed" closer, and when the sparks disruped the air the distance between the needles is measured.
The peak voltage then may be calculated using the formula:
Upeak = D x 4000
Upeak is in V
D is measured distance, im mm.

This is the formula usefull for 1000 to 20000V. Of course, normal conditions of temperature and pressure.

I hope the "apparatus" may be helpfull to other HV members

Regards

Newton
Newton Brawn
Wed Mar 09 2011, 10:04PM
3L3:

I did have any measurement of EMI that may be produced by the arc starter apparatus. Of course, a electricalmagnetical field is produced (and irradiated) at each spark pulse.

To be precise, the energy in each pulse not is really low. It is 0.006 joules, energy enough to disrupt 6mm of air gap. The treak is that the circuit just give one pulse each half of one 60 Hz period. (just one pulse each 8.33ms). And synchonized and at exact time. This is enough to trigger the 50-75V supplied by buzzbox or even the tig apparatus...

The old arc starters use a 3600V transformer with a shunt reluctance to limit the secondary current to 30mA. This arrangement produces 30 pulses at each 8.33ms... It is a waste of energy, because it is nescessary just one pulse to start the arc. All other pulses absorves energy from the power supply and demands a 100 to 300VA tranformer. Also the spark gap fires 2x29 uselles sparks per period, demanding a heat sink.

Just give a list with the parameters to be specified, I will try to answer.

Regards

Newton

3l3ctrici7y
Fri Mar 11 2011, 11:34AM
Newton,

Thanks for posting the video. That is very interesting. The output looked similar to the one I built (on the occasion that it happened to work at all). Did you feel anything when it jumped to the screw drive? What was the black wire connected to the right side of the air gap? Was it an RF ground of some kind?

About me saying it has low energy. I spoke poorly. It has low energy as compared to others that run continuously and also dissipate more heat in the spark gap. So this is good. It is just powerful enough to get the job done without being excessive and needing spark gap cooling and producing more EMI than necessary.

:)

-3l3
Newton Brawn
Fri Mar 11 2011, 11:04PM
Hi 3L3:

Pls see next reply:

Regards

Newton .
Newton Brawn
Fri Mar 11 2011, 11:25PM
Hi 3L3:

I do not fell any sensation when touching the sparks. Sometimes when Im welding, during the electrode exchange, not intentionally, I touch the electrode holder, and I saw the sparks... but I did not feel any sensation.

The black wire is 2 turns primary wind, conectec to spark gap and HV cap. Pls follow the schema attached in the previous post.

No RF grounding at this preliminary test. Only when the arc starter is attached to the buzzbox. a loop of 2-3meter #14awg on the floor or nailred in the wall. Or just use any metalic mass. Also conect to buzzbox frame.

I have some difficulty to post pictures and organise information for the forum. Can you send your email, it wiil be easer to put the information in the proper way ??

Regards

Newton .

Pictures:
0.5mm SPARK GAP and PARAFERNALIA TO MEASURE THE SPARK kVs
MEASURING THE SPARKS KV
GLASS CAP and MMC
THE TEST ASSEMBLY

1299885506 3343 FT108379 Spark Gap And Pafernalia To Measure The Spark Kvs Dscf0160

1299885506 3343 FT108379 Measuring The Spark Volts Dscf0162

0027 Cap  Dscf0158

1299885506 3343 FT108379 Arc Starter Assembly  Dscf0161
Newton Brawn
Sat Mar 12 2011, 02:06AM
3L3

Here more information

Regards

Newton

]spark_gap.pdf[/file]
]hf_transformers.pdf[/file]
3l3ctrici7y
Mon Mar 14 2011, 12:02AM
That's really great. Thanks for posting. :)
first  2 3 4 5

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: