Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DIY High voltage probe

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 10 2010, 01:31AM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Well, what is the self inductance of say a 20 cm ID 30 cm OD aluminium foil ring conducting across it's 10-30 micron thickness?

My guess ... the number has an exponent so far into the negative numbers it has a prefix I don't know the name too (last one I know from memory is femto, yes ... sadly pathetic, but still).
Patrick
Fri Dec 10 2010, 01:48AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Pinky's Brain wrote ...

Come to think of it, discrete elements are actually kind of nasty for a capacitive divider ...
..... might not need series resistance at all.

lookie here pinky Link2 , i tried to get rid of the resistence. it did not work well...
Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 10 2010, 03:37AM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Okay I should have said "You might not need a distributed series resistance at all.".
klugesmith
Fri Dec 10 2010, 04:29AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Pinky's Brain wrote ...
Well, what is the self inductance of say a 20 cm ID 30 cm OD aluminium foil ring conducting across it's 10-30 micron thickness?
Sorry to go off track, but I've never seen a 4hv thread wander so close to some calculations I made 5 years ago,
about self-inductance and resistance of aluminum beverage cans around their circumference.
Both are approximately proportional to the inverse of the conducting width (the cylinder length).
For a 4 inch length (roughly a whole 355ml can) it's about 30 nH and 1 mOhm,
so a circulating current would decay with characteristic time constant of 30 us.

For very short sections (length << diameter) the inductance and time constant are smaller
than that inverse formula would indicate. A can section 1/4 inch long (conducting width 1/4 inch)
would be 16 mOhm and only 128 nH, so its L/R is only 8 us.

Those old R values were based on sheet resistance of 0.5 mOhm/square, about the same as 1 oz copper foil.
Not sure if it's the value I measured on many can specimens. The measured value was about twice what you would figure from the handbook resistivity of Al, for the measured thickness (and for the measured weight after chemically stripping the paint). Measured R was consistent with the handbook resistivity of the aluminum alloy that can bodies are made of. But this is far off track for the thread. Someday we'll have a thread about can-crusher modeling.
Patrick
Fri Dec 10 2010, 05:19AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
did one of pinkys posts disappear, the one with the schematic link!?
Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 10 2010, 06:02AM
Pinky&#039;s Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
It did disappear, but that was because I realised that the structure I was describing would use 100 pieces of aluminum foil of around 2 m^2, consequently with a structure of around 1.5 meter diameter (assuming 20 pF total series capacitance, 2 meter height and 100 plates).

The schematic is here.
radhoo
Fri Dec 10 2010, 04:55PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Guys, indeed there are some issues with the probes, but let's try to keep things simple.
I have an update on my setup that I'd like to present. My probe is a resistive divider only.

case1:
+HV Supply <----[1 GOhm resistor]--[uAmpmeter]-----GND (and)
case2:
+HV Supply <----[1 GOhm resistor]--[uAmpmeter]----- -HV Supply (because my supply is bipolar: Link2 ).

Details: I am using a 100uAmeter. My HV supply is fed by my variable low voltage power supply, so I can use the pot to adjust the output voltage. I put in 12V and get a ~6cm spark (~ 60KV)
I also put a 1MOhm resistor in parallel with the uAmeter.

case1: the uAmeter shows ~ 30uA
case2: the uAmeter shows ~ 60uA

Questions:
1) Is it correct to add a 1MO resistor in parallel to the uAmeter, if my goal is to have uAmps = kVolts on the scale?
2) After running test2/case2 and powering off, the uA was continuously showing a small value ~20 on its scale. Shaking it and waiting some time put the needle back on 0. Why?
3) Is it ok to do measurements like in case 2? The negative component goes straight into the uAmeter, or I must only use it like in case1 , with ground and through a HV resistor? If this is the case how to measure my bipolar supply.
4) How to I measure the impedance of this uAmpmeter?
5) Is there anything else I should know here? I'm planing to finalize this probe and need to make sure that what I do is correct. Here are some pictures:

1291999968 1938 FT101831 P1110492 1291999968 1938 FT101831 P1110493 1291999968 1938 FT101831 P1110494 Net Hv Probe 02 Net Hv Probe 05

Thanks
Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 10 2010, 05:09PM
radhoo wrote ...
1) Is it correct to add a 1MO resistor in parallel to the uAmeter, if my goal is to have uAmps = kVolts on the scale?
It doesn't do a thing ... you can just leave it out.
wrote ...
3) Is it ok to do measurements like in case 2?
In theory ... as long as it doesn't put you yourself too near that -HV.

The meter probably won't much like having a corona and the accompanied static build up though (which might explain the faulty measurement). Ideally you would have two high voltage resistors at either side, so the meter is at ground.
wrote ...
4) How to I measure the impedance of this uAmpmeter?
Put it in series with a small resistor and put a small known voltage across the pair and measure the voltage across the meter with your DMM.
radhoo
Fri Dec 10 2010, 05:36PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Sounds good so far!

I suspected static charge myself. I wonder how to prevent it.

I would like to understand more on how the uA's are "converted" to kVs in this setup. Some formulas would do. I just want to make sure that my measurements will be as accurate as possible, so doing it right is important.

What about Tesladownunder's design with the bridge?
Link2
Extra problems with my bipolar supply , but besides that, would it bring any benefit?

Pinky's Brain
Fri Dec 10 2010, 06:14PM
In theory you could put the meter under oil, in practice it would be easier to just keep it at ground. Build a second probe if you want to measure your +HV and -HV at the same time.

The bridge doesn't do anything if you aren't measuring AC, I don't think the low pass is necessary, the mechanical inertia of the meter will already do that, the two diodes across the meter are a nice touch though, clamps pulses (don't literally put them across the meter though, keep the diode leads short and pinch the wires near together where you solder on the diodes).

PS. the formula for your measurement is just Ohm's law ... I=U/R, and the only R of significance is the 1 GOhm probe.
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: