Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitive Voltage divider, for O-scopes (10,000:1)

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Jun 30 2010, 04:29AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Intent of this post:
To seek input/advice as first generation rev 2 construction nears completion. I really hope this crazy idea works, I need these waveforms for deriving phase lag/lead and trigonometric funtions related to HV wave timing. I hope to have effective operation at upto 100Kv. If this becomes a succesful endevour, I will move all this work to the "Projects Forum", for others to build if you choose. Comments wanted.

Purpose and background:
My high voltage divider will be used to support my DeSeversky Ionocraft Ph.D thesis/project.
My device is based on Sam Goldwassers original document here Link2 (Jim Lux is also an important source.)
My basic schematic is most close to the last one:
1277873065 2431 FT1630 Samgoldwasser

Specifically, mine is based on the 3 op-amp, instrument amplifier of this type:
1277872160 2431 FT0 03046
(pic credit: allaboutcircuits.com)

1277617526 2431 FT1630 Cap Plates 4hv
Above: 1pF @1 inch gap (under yellow olive oil), HV capacitor plates: long=HV plate, short=low Volt plate.
Made from 6 and 1.5 inch 1/4-20 thread bolts and two 0.5 inch ballbearings.

1277617526 2431 FT1630 Insulator Array
Above: Wire frame model

1277617526 2431 FT1630 Insul3 4hv
Above: Close-up of the terminal and ceramic cup.

1277617526 2431 FT1630 Insul2 4hv
Above: A collection of 8 Voltage dividers, each connected to a different HV phase, for the ionocraft, and each of the 8 devices will always be connected to its phase, but will have its BNC connector swapped on-too/off-of a 2 or 4 channel o-scope as needed.

1277878350 2431 FT1630 P1020122
Ballbearings, bolts, HMR brass and stuff

1277878986 2431 FT1630 P1020108small
How they're made, notice the right most bearing has a flat spot 0.25" dia. and the shafts are 0.25", then they get case soldered together. notice the top two are dark, cause I overheated them.

Note: Once the Ball bearings reach 940 degrees F, and they start to roll off the table, dont try to catch them in your hand. You wont be happy.

1277880938 2431 FT1630 P1020188small
Hangin with Mr. Verne.

EDIT: my major concern right now is the fact that the olive oil dielectric is directly and perhaps non-linearly responsible for the capacitence of the HV cap. The LV cap will be a mylar foil type. thus any change in dielectric properties will show up as a bogus voltage measurement.
GhostNull
Wed Jun 30 2010, 07:19AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
good work so far, hope it works! cheesey
Patrick
Wed Jun 30 2010, 07:42AM
Yeah, thank you GhostNull, if this volt divider idea doesnt work, I dont know what else will.
I worry about the gain factor and slew rate.

well lets see, the math should be: SR <Greater than, equal to> 2 times PI times f times Vpk
and since i measure in V/uS ... then SR from above should be divided by 10^6.

Where:
SR = Slew Rate, in Volts per second.
2 = a constant
PI = a constant, Mmmm, Pie.
f = Frequency in hertz.
Vpk = Waveform Peak Volts.
10^6 = one million
V/uS = Volts per micro-second.

SR= ( 2 x PI x 100,000 Hz x 10 Vpk ) = 6,300,000 V/s divided by 10^6 which =6.3V/uS !
(these input numbers are way worse then expected, and the output is 6.3V/uS)

Checking some datasheets like the TL082 reveal a SR minimum of 8V/uS and 16V/uS typical,
since 8V/uS is equal to or greater than 6.3V/uS, Im good! (As far as slew rate not bucthering the waveform.)

I may use the low noise, high impedance JFET, TL082 op-amp or a type my professor gave me from back at Shasta College, I cant remember that part number at the moment.
Proud Mary
Wed Jun 30 2010, 11:04AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Hi Patrick,

your capacitive divider is going to be temperature sensitive whatever sort of capacitors you use. With time and trouble, you might be able to compensate for the decline of dielectric constant of the olive oil with increasing temperature by having the rods move closer together as they expand.

CHARACTERISTICS OF VEGETABLE OILS OF SOME SLOVENE
MANUFACTURERS†

D. Rudan-Tasic and C. Klofutar
Acta Chim. Slov. 1999, 46(4), pp. 511-521

Link2

from the above citation:

Refined olive oil - temperature versus dielectric constant

25.15 C - 3.098
30.15 C - 3.067
35.15 C - 3.036
40.15 C - 3.007

As there is no universal standard 'olive oil', I wouldn't take these figures as if handed down from above on tablets of stone, but as a more general statement regarding the rate of the oil's reduction of dielectric constant with increasing temperature, from which you could develop a calibration curve.

3.1 @ 20 C is the figure commonly given in tables.

IntraWinding
Wed Jun 30 2010, 11:16AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
This would be really useful!

I guess you need an insulating oil which is inert for longevity, and with a low temperature coefficient of dielectric constant for accuracy despite environmental temperature variation. Perhaps Olive Oil would work well, I don't know, but I've always wondered why those Tektronix high voltage probe designers went to the trouble of using freon gas as insulation. Perhaps it was to meet these criteria?

In the new version of their high voltage probe they've replaced
"The CFC 114 dielectric often used in high-voltage
applications ... with a silicone compound.
"
I've attached the datasheet for permanent reference.

1000x, 75MHz, 20KVac (40KVdc), 3pF, 100Mohms, US$1,570
]tektronix_p6015a_high-voltage_probe_.pdf[/file]

Silicone oil is certainly inert, but I have no idea about its temperature coefficient of dielectric constant . The other particularly inert type of insulating oils are perfluorocarbons but they are pricey unless you happen to get lucky.

Patrick
Wed Jun 30 2010, 06:28PM
well dam, thats what i was worried about, as per Proud Mary's comment, i will compensate using a thermistor-driven op-amp then. As i dislike moving parts.
Mattski
Wed Jun 30 2010, 09:43PM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
Another option would be to have the high oil held at a constant temperature. You can run a heater with a thermistor and PID controller (you can hack one together with a PIC) to keep it at a constant temp which is a few degrees above your expected maximum room temperature. That's how oven controlled crystal oscillators work. The disadvantage is the fact that you now need to turn your probes on and let them warm up.

So the way this works is that ball bearing gap is the high voltage capacitor, and you have a large external mylar foil cap?

Regarding nonlinearity, is there any way you could do this with air gaps or would the size end up being ridiculous to avoid breakdown/corona?

According to this palm oil does have a nonlinear dielectric constant at high electric fields, starting at about 1.25MV/m: Link2
Proud Mary
Wed Jun 30 2010, 10:24PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Patrick, perhaps you should first calculate the capacitance variation caused by the change in dielectric constant to see what effect this will have on the divider ration across the range of ambient temperatures likely to be encountered in actual service.

At the same time you should also consider the linear temperature expansion coefficients of the both the metal rods and the housing of your oil dielectric capacitor to see whether the gap between the spheres becomes larger, smaller, or stays the same across the range of ambient temperatures used in your dielectric constant versus capacitance calculation.
Patrick
Wed Jun 30 2010, 11:32PM
Yes Mattski, I thought of the oven idea, and you raise a good point about field intensity even though I cant read your cited article.

Proud Mary, yes i was going to make those calculations last night but i was too tired.

so here we go, the math is as follows:

C = (epsilon1) times (epsilon0) times ( A / d )

where:
C = Farads
epsilon1 = dielectric (permittivity) constant
epsilon0 = Electric field constant (Faraday)
A = area (meters)
d = distance (meters)

then we set C = 1pf, epsilon1= 3.098, epsilon2= Farady Cons., (A/d) = 0.036457 (fixed as if a constant)

thus:
@ 25.15 degrees C and 3.098, C=1.0000 pF (Assumed standard, 1.00pF, 100%) measured with BK precision 875B
@ 30.15 degrees C and 3.067, C=0.9899 pF (0.99 %)
@ 35.15 degrees C and 3.036, C=0.9800 pF (0.98 %)
@ 40.15 degrees C and 3.007, C=0.9707 pF (0.97 %)
four sig figs everbody!

so for every 5 degrees C rise (above 25 C), 1% of capacitence is lost.
and for every 5 degrees below 25 C 1% is gained.

however the difference between 3.098, to 3.007 in 5 C increments is slightly non linear but the approximation still has validity. I will refine this later. ProudMary saved my ass with that PDF.

well this doesnt seem overwhelming or impossibly difficult now. maybe just a trim pot, marked in 5 degree c increments ?
IntraWinding
Thu Jul 01 2010, 12:02AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
The large capacitor will have a temperature coefficient dependant on its dielectric, and this might be used to advantage to correct the effect of the olive oil temperature coefficient.

Perhaps it's worth building the probe and testing it to see what the overall effect of all the competing effects are before attempting to fix anything!
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: