All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grooved Bobbins For Segmented Windings

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Tue Oct 05 2010, 02:26AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

Anyway, I just started winding the second coil, and it's amazing how much better (and faster) it's going, based simply on the experience gained from the first one.
well thats good.

ill render some cad stuff and post it here.
jpsmith123
Tue Oct 12 2010, 01:48AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Well my second coil came out good except for one section. I was talking to someone while doing it, and I got distracted and put too many turns in that section. It should still work, it just doesn't look right - and I'm irritated with myself for doing that.

Anyway, the next step is to pot the two coils - as soon as I decide what kind of potting material to use.

I'm wondering, are you any further along with your efforts, Patrick? I'm anxious to see exactly what your scheme is.
Patrick
Tue Oct 12 2010, 05:25AM
I'll post some stuff soon....

also, for your potting... i like vacuum - oil, or vacuum - polyester epoxy.
100 microns of vacuum, works well.
Niraj Joshi
Thu Oct 14 2010, 05:36PM
Niraj Joshi Registered Member #3291 Joined: Fri Oct 08 2010, 06:06PM
good work guys!!!
jpsmith123
Fri Dec 03 2010, 06:17AM
I kept thinking about the 30 gauge wire I used, instead of the 28 gauge wire I wanted to use, and it bothered me, so I made two more coil formers (yes, I know I'm crazy).

Anyway I made the grooves about 0.015" deeper, and that added enough room to get 425 turns of 28 gauge.

I just ordered some epoxy from MG Chemicals to pot it with.

The only issue right now is, I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to secure the loose end of the wire; I need to keep it secured somehow until it's potted and the epoxy cures.

I'm thinking about using a drop of crazy glue, but I'm not sure if the epoxy might weaken or dissolve the crazy glue before it cures. After all the work I've put into this so, far I'd hate for a little detail to go wrong and ruin things.
Patrick
Fri Dec 03 2010, 07:43AM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

I'm thinking about using a drop of crazy glue, but I'm not sure if the epoxy might weaken or dissolve the crazy glue before it cures. After all the work I've put into this so, far I'd hate for a little detail to go wrong and ruin things.

use the same epoxy your going to pot with, or use any other common epoxy after it cures, epoxies are generally compatable with each other. And i bet you wont have dissolving problems with super glue. cyano's are pretty stable and compatable with common epoxies. you dont need to worry so much about the chemistry.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 03 2010, 09:54AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

.If your winding is neat, there's no reason why the PD between any adjacent, subjacent, or overjacent* turns should exceed the breakdown voltage is there?

A winding style sometimes used at high voltage has a triangular cross section, with each layer having less turns than the one beneath it. This maximizes the slant height distance between the highest voltage turns at the top, and the lower voltage turns at the bottom - it also prevents a higher voltage turn slipping down the side onto the next layer.

* Subjacent is a word usually only found in house conveyancing contracts to mean the flat/apartment below, and I invented 'overjacent' for want of an existing word! cheesey

The word you were looking for is 'superjacent'. (subjacent winding, adjacent winding, superjacent winding)
jpsmith123
Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:10AM
Patrick IIRC you were going to just put your transformer in oil.

Can I ask, how are you going to secure the end of the coil so it doesn't become loose and unwind, and also, what kind of oil are you going to use?
Patrick
Tue Dec 07 2010, 02:08AM
Yes, i wont pot my transformers, because i know i want to change the secondaries out, my pirmaries and secondaries are removeable/fixable. i will use either 100% vegatable oil from safeway, or i will use non-detergent 40 wheight motor oil, but remember 2 things:

-- I have 2.6 gallons of dielectric circulating into and out of a 3kW system, cost prohibits olive oil.
-- corn oil hardens (rock hard) PVC and vinyl aquarium tubing and i hope vegatable oil/motor wont,

if i had a small container, like a pint/quart or less and a transformer, I would use extra light virgin olive oil.
see my reasoning for olive oil here: Link2

for wire handling:
-- i use a single hole in the plastic bobbin, loop the magnet wire through, tie it off, presto.
-- or i use crazy glue/epoxy. (i use the crazy glue with the brush in the bottle, so i can put a droplet down.)
then run a stranded wire or threaded stud nearby.
jpsmith123
Wed Dec 22 2010, 04:23AM
Patrick here is a paper you might find interesting which compares some properties of various vegetabe oils for purposes of service as an electrical insulating liquid.

Link2

I'm thinking more and more about abandoning the potting idea and just dunking everything in yellow olive oil or rapeseed oil.

The transformer is not the problem, but the multiplier seems like it could be problematic (with potting, that is).

For just putzing around making sparks, with low to medium power and/or with low duty cycle use, I think you don't have to worry too much about thermal issues of the diodes and capacitors in the multiplier. But for medium to high power applications and/or where the power supply might be running for a little while, I can see things getting too hot.

I can see the typical 2CL2FM HV diodes dissipating a few watts each, and the ceramic capacitors dissipating a few watts each (I'm trying to get more info on the DF of the cheap ebay ceramic capacitors to get a better idea), but I think with potting you would have to take steps to make sure your components don't overheat. IOW, I don't think you could just slap it together crudely and thoughtlessly and have it last a long time.

It's beginning to seem much easier to me to simply drown all the problems in vegetable oil.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: