All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Full-bridge plasma speaker

Move Thread LAN_403
Franky
Sun Jun 26 2011, 10:13AM Print
Franky Registered Member #1940 Joined: Tue Jan 27 2009, 02:34PM
Hi

I have question about my plasma speaker. I have built my third plasma speaker a few weeks ago. This third plasma speaker is a frequency modulated plasma speaker designed by Jan Martis. This is the following schematic.

I’m very impressed by its performance and quality. But the spark length is a bit too small. This is because the input voltage I use is 34V. The fly back sees only the half of the input voltage, causing a small spark. Somebody told me that it was a better idea to use a full-bridge output stage. A full-bridge output stage should be more powerful and the fly back should see the full input voltage. So I did some researche and drew the following schematic (it is a bit messy)
20stage
Is this going to work? Or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Many thanks in advance!
ScotchTapeLord
Sun Jun 26 2011, 12:13PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
Looks conceptually sound, but you may also want to place a film capacitor in series with the flyback primary like you did with the gdt. You can also remove the gap from the flyback transformer with this topology.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jun 26 2011, 04:09PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Hello, yes ysou should put the film cap in series with primary (~1-2 uF). That is the old design of my plasma speaker which uses frequency modulation, my new design goes back to pulse width modulation.
Franky
Fri Jul 01 2011, 09:32AM
Franky Registered Member #1940 Joined: Tue Jan 27 2009, 02:34PM
Thanks you both for the answers! This should be the improved schematic.

20stage

I still have some remaining questions. Why do you want to place a capacitor in series with the flyback? I have been thinking about this. The only explanation I came up with is the following. In case of a pulse that is way to long, you create a short-circuit if you don’t use a capacitor in series with the flyback. So the capacitor is a safety device. Am I right?

Then I have another question. I have been looking on the internet to find the difference between a flyback with or without a gap. I couldn’t find an answer to that question. Can you help me out? What is the gap in the flyback anyway…..

Theoretically speaking, a PWM modulation should indeed be better then a FM modulation. I love the way the output stages of the FM modulation work. But I haven’t figured out yet how to combine this output stage with a PWM modulation. I have still loads of things to learn before I can design a schematic of my own.

Adam Munich
Fri Jul 01 2011, 12:19PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
The capacitor softens the load for the mosfets. Instead of a direct off to direct on, like a square wave, the capacitor "rounds the corners" for lack of a better way to say that.
Dr. ISOTOP
Fri Jul 01 2011, 12:36PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
In the best case, the capacitor and leakage inductance of the flyback resonate at the frequency of the driver, soft-switching happens, and the MOSFETs are in happy land.
Daedronus
Fri Jul 01 2011, 02:14PM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
Actually the capacitor is there to assure no net DC current passes trough the transformer.

If that happens the transformer will saturate and it will look like a dead short for one pair of mosfets.
Alex M
Mon Oct 31 2011, 11:55PM
Alex M Registered Member #3943 Joined: Sun Jun 12 2011, 05:24PM
Does anyone have the schematic for this, it seems to have vanished from the thread.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: