Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction heater (featuring my new PLL driver :-O)

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
MRacerxdl
Sun Dec 14 2008, 02:43PM
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
No, its not. 18A for the IRFP460 is only 87W. (It have Rds(on) about 0.27R)
If you get ohm law: P = R * I²
P = 0.27 * 18² => 324 * 0,27 = 87W

Considering that IRFP460 can dissipate about 300W, that is far from the more that it can support.
uzzors2k
Sun Dec 14 2008, 05:28PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Actually I used IRFP450s, each doubled up. SO, 18A peak or 13A RMS shared (hopefully) between two mosfets with an rds of 0,44R. That's about 20W of power dissipation per device, but since they only conduct for half the time we'll say 15W. (Switching losses play in as well.) Giving 60W of power lost in the fets. It's important to note that:

1) This is power LOST in the MOSFETs, the only way it affects output power is whether it approaches the maximum of what the IRFP450s can handle.
2) The 18A circulate in the tank/inverter loop and is largely reactive current, the actual current drawn from mains is probably 3-5A.
Experimentonomen
Sun Dec 14 2008, 05:47PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
paralelling fets meand half the rdson, not twice as you imply.
Raka
Sun Dec 14 2008, 09:36PM
Raka Registered Member #1838 Joined: Tue Dec 02 2008, 06:01PM
I obviously have a huge gap in my understanding of the FET specs. If I look at the save operating area graph of the IRFP460, at 300V (drain to source) a dc value of about 0.7A can be drawn continuously? Thus for a 50% duty cycle it must be about 1.7A per FET. Can someone please refer my to a webpage that can help to explain.
Steve Conner
Sun Dec 14 2008, 10:05PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The beauty of switched-mode power is that the FET is either off or on. (Anything in between - part on or part off - is not switched mode, but linear operation, which went out of fashion in the 1970s.)

When it's off, it has a high voltage across it, but no current flowing, therefore the power dissipated is zero. (Power is voltage times current, and anything multiplied by zero is zero.)

When it's on, it has a high current flowing, but no voltage across it. (We assume Rds(on) is so small that the IR drop is negligible.) So the power dissipated is again zero.

So this means a switched-mode circuit can pass infinite power without getting hot smile

Well not exactly, but it means that it can handle far more than what you said, because the 300V and 1.7A are never present at the same time. I would expect a fullbridge of IRFP460s to deliver a couple of kilowatts at hobbyist levels of reliability, while dissipating roughly the 50W or so of heat that Uzzors suggested.
uzzors2k
Sun Dec 14 2008, 10:11PM
For the love of god, my inverter uses IRFP4 -> 50 <- mosfets. Not IRFP460, so everyone stop bringing them up.

Now Raka, the maximum drain current specified in mosfet datasheets is DC current. Currents beyond this heat the junction (inside the mosfet package) faster than heat can be removed from the package. This has to do with thermal resistance. For all practical use the junction temperature is what limits the mosfet's current rating. You seem to have Ohm's law down, but not generel circuit analysis.

The following example applies to a single IRFP450, and isn't related to the inverter. It's just food for thought.

When mosfets are used in switching applications like this, they can be thought of as switches with some resistance, in this case 0,4 ohms. Now apply Ohm's Law to the switch. 0,4R * 14A = 5,6V So the voltage across the mosfet is only 5,6V when it's on and actually passing current. That means the dissipation in the conducting mosfet has to be 78W. The rest of the 300 - 5,6 = 294,4V are across the load, which I'll call LOAD. The power dissipated in LOAD is 294,4V * 14A = 4kW. When the mosfet is off the resistance is astronomic, and the full 300V will be across it. However, since no current flows through the mosfet the power dissipated in it has to be 0W. Is it any clearer? smile

Edit: Steve beat me to it. angry
Raka
Mon Dec 15 2008, 03:08PM
Its clear now, thanks.
Raka
Thu Dec 18 2008, 12:18PM
Ok, another question: In a setup like yours, with FET’s in paralleled. What is the pros and cons of a winding for each FET on the gate drive transformer or just one winding for the high side and one winding for the low side, driving more than one FET with a winding?
uzzors2k
Thu Dec 18 2008, 12:54PM
The simplest approach is to simply parallel the mosfets and then consider them a single larger mosfet. The gate capacitance will be larger, the current handling roughly the same, but the power dissipation will be halved. I found that the gate driver had no problem driving twice the capacitance fast enough. Unless the switching waveforms become unreasonably sloped, there is little point in using a second GDT with separate gate drivers to power the other set of mosfets. If you're thinking of using four secondary windings and putting pairs in parallel, that will only reduce the resistance of the secondary, which is often negligible to start with.
Raka
Sat Dec 20 2008, 05:55PM
I know you don’t like the mention of the name smile But what made you decide on the irfp 450? It seems to me as if the irfp 460 is a superior IC
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: