Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My ferrite core SMPS

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
rp181
Sun Jan 11 2009, 04:33AM Print
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Hello all,
So i got a U126/91/20 core from ferroxcube awhile back, and I am actually doing stuff with it now. I plan on using a L298 for a H-bridge design. I plan to start with hard switching, and then later move on to SLR topology. Input will be voltage will be 330v, and a maximum of 10A (limit of my fuse right now). I will be using STGW30NC60W IGBT's. I made a bobbin with 1/8" acrylic, and i am using 30 AWG wire. the insulation thickness is.005 inches. Here are some pics:
T 1002848m 43ffac6
A picture of old PVC bobbin vs. the new one.
T 1002850m Cc1da43

The bobbin look horrible, but i say its pretty good for only using a acrylic sheet and a Xacto knife to make it (lots of scoring and breaking).

Any comment/questions/suggestion's for the driver (like frequency)?
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jan 11 2009, 10:28AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Cool core. Be careful when handling it, I got two monster cores from old TVs and even with normal handling, they developed some chips and dents around the area where the core halves touch.

I would go with ~50kHz for a first try.

Remember that the square wave drive puts out a lot of harmonics so you can excite the transformer's self resonant frequency even if it's magnitudes higher than your drive frequency.
For this reason I tune the driver at low power with unloaded transformer to a frequency close to the intended one, at which it draws the least current.

rp181
Sun Jan 11 2009, 03:19PM
Yep, i already got small chips, and one bigger chip.

I heard somewhere (can't recall where) that due to some reason, the voltage output will be double than what your turns ratio will tell you. If i have a 10 turn primary (enough turns?) then estimated output would be around 5kV. Would the out put be 10kV?
For SLR topologies, everyone uses either a external inductor or with high leakage winding's. Is there anything wrong with gapping the core?
uzzors2k
Sun Jan 11 2009, 04:42PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Nice core. You probably heard it here. Link2 And yes, the 2 * ideal ratio thing seems consistent.

Gapping the core ruins open circuit performance because the open circuit inductance will be close to the short-circuit inductance. With an ungapped core the open circuit resonant frequency will be so low that almost no current is drawn, which is good. Really, gapping the core is only useful in SLR as a last ditch effort to reduce the value of leakage inductance. If you fear that the leakage inductance will be too high then wind the transformer with good coupling, ie windings underneath eachother, and use an external inductor to get the required inductance.
rp181
Sun Jan 11 2009, 06:00PM
Thats good, i ran short of wire so there are ~150 turns. If you look at the first picture, it wound to about a cursor width to the left of the white tape.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jan 11 2009, 06:02PM
Uzzors wrote ...

Gapping the core ruins open circuit performance because the open circuit inductance will be close to the short-circuit inductance. With an ungapped core the open circuit resonant frequency will be so low that almost no current is drawn, which is good. Really, gapping the core is only useful in SLR as a last ditch effort to reduce the value of leakage inductance. If you fear that the leakage inductance will be too high then wind the transformer with good coupling, ie windings underneath eachother, and use an external inductor to get the required inductance.
Well, you don't want any gap with bridge inverters, especially with the SLR. Even a very little gap often alters open circuit performance greatly.

AFAIK the gap does not do much with leakage inductance (if something then increase it)...

rp181
Sun Jan 11 2009, 08:38PM
I will probably go with a external inductor on a wire spool (ID about 1inch).
Wont the inductor filter some harmonics? How do you think those IGBT's i posted will stand up? I can't find anything on there current rating vs. frequency.
On richard burnet's(?) site, i saw some thing about putting 2 or more H bridges together to distribute the power for induction heating. Would this same setup work if i split the inductor between them?
I finished the secondary. I ran out of wire so you can see the extra space on one side.
T 1002857m 736b1b4
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jan 11 2009, 10:14PM
rp181 wrote ...

I will probably go with a external inductor on a wire spool (ID about 1inch).
Why? Just wind the primary opposite the secondary, this should provide just about right leakage for experimental arc drawing.
If its too big, spread the primary turns. If its too small, wind the primary in layers (so that the effective "core surface" under the winding is smaller).
Edit: Changing the leakage also changes the resonant frequency.

rp181 wrote ...

Wont the inductor filter some harmonics?
no, but it adds inductance decreasing the system's resonant frequency.

rp181 wrote ...

How do you think those IGBT's i posted will stand up? I can't find anything on there current rating vs. frequency.
They should be good to at least 100kHz or a bit more. Be sure to include clamping diodes on them (at least 30A high-speed diodes).

rp181 wrote ...

On richard burnet's(?) site, i saw some thing about putting 2 or more H bridges together to distribute the power for induction heating. Would this same setup work if i split the inductor between them?
Maybe, but just paralelling the transistors should have similar effect. I don't know exactly how big is your core, but these IGBTs in a full bridge should be able to supply ~4-8kVA powered from rectified 230V (or doubled 120V).

rp181
Mon Jan 12 2009, 12:34AM
I didn't think winding on opposite legs would be enough, but it sounds good.
If you go to ferroxcube's website, core sets, U, its the last one on the list.

EDIT: I plan on making a final bobbin much like finn hammer's so i can tap it for different voltages. What gauge wire to you guys recommend? I wan't to keep it in air, but i will put it under oil if i have to.
uzzors2k
Mon Jan 12 2009, 05:48PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

AFAIK the gap does not do much with leakage inductance (if something then increase it)...

You're right, my bad.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: