ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

solenoid not working

Move Thread LAN_403
phinsil6
Tue Jan 13 2009, 01:58PM Print
phinsil6 Registered Member #1914 Joined: Wed Jan 07 2009, 06:50PM
hi, i am trying to build kind of an uber solenoid. I'm using 50' of marine tinned 10AWG cable about a small pvc pipe. here is a link of the cable i got. Link2
This cable is wrapped around a 5" pvc pipe and the coils are almost perfect, but for some reason i cant get any magnetic field from it. the little power supply im using is a 12v 2A power supply which works well with a little 24AWG solenoid. Any ideas as to why this coil just wont make a field?
thanks in advance for all suggestions
Dr. Slack
Tue Jan 13 2009, 03:51PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
I suspect it is making a field, but it's probably only making the field it does, and not the field you were hoping for.

50ft wound on 5" is only 38 turns. Carrying 2A (I assume your PSU is a constant current limit, if it's foldback limiting, the short circuit current (which is what your coil is) will be very much less than 2A) that's 76 Ampere turns. The copper dia is about 0.1", so I'll guess overall dia as 0.2", so 38 turns is a winding length of about 7". We could use published formulae for field from a solenoid, but it's a bit more ethnic to go from first principles, and it's within spitting distance of the right answer anyway. The length of the mean magnetic field line loop from a 5" dia coil 7" long is of the order of 24" (just add all the dimensions round the loop), or 0.6m in real units. That's an H field of 76/0.6 = 126 A/m. In air, that H field will produce a magnetic field of H*u0 = 126 * 4pi * 1e-7 = 160uT (micro Tesla).

As a comparison, Earth's magnetic field varies from about 30uT to 60uT depending on location. Perhaps the uber-solenoid doesn't rip your arm off when you cautiously approach it holding a spanner, but does it deflect a compass needle?

Your 24AWG solenoid will have a few more turns on it, and is probably smaller, more AT and less field loop length => much more H field. Not only that, smaller dimensions mean a larger field *gradient*, which is what pulls the spanner into the coil.

Incidentally, 50ft of 10awg wire is about 50mOhm resistance. If you can find a 12v supply that doesn't limit (auto battery?), then you will do a little better with the 240A, but not much, and only briefly before the PVC burns off. To get higher fields, you need more layers (to increase the ampere turns without significantly increasing the length of the loop), iron in the return path (to reduce the length of the loop in air), thin PU rather than thick PVC insulation (called magnet wire) (to increase the ampere turns without increasing the length of the loop).

Good luck. Every journey starts with a single step. There's no such thing as a failed experiment, as long as you learn from it.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jan 13 2009, 03:51PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Is the current from your power supply limited?
If not,
1) it may have turned off to protect itself from overcurrent
2) the fuse in the PSU may have blown
3) it is toasted tongue

Make sure the PSU works, then limit the current (e.g. with a properly sized resistor, in your case 6 ohms 25 watts), then repeat your experiment.

Edit: Dr. Slack beat me to it. If you want bigger field, use more turns.

phinsil6
Tue Jan 13 2009, 05:17PM
Thank you for your very detailed responses. I guess i should tell you what im really trying to do with this. im trying to make a coil gun. so i want the maximum magnetic field built with wire that can withstand ~450v from a capacitor with 1500uF capacitance. Thats why i picked the 10AWG, however maybe that wire isnt the best option. So probably magnet wire is the best path to take for a project like this. But can magnet wire withstand that kind of power from a capacitor before mentioned?
phinsil6
Tue Jan 13 2009, 07:56PM
would 14awg magnet wire be better?
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jan 13 2009, 08:11PM
Coilguns are pretty complex to calculate. Measuring the magnetic field while passing a direct current through the coil tells you absolutely nothing about how it will perform in a coil gun.

phinsil6
Tue Jan 13 2009, 08:15PM
okay, so would 14 awg magnet wire be the better option? or to be more specific, square magnet wire, for better coils?
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jan 13 2009, 10:00PM
phinsil6 wrote ...

okay, so would 14 awg magnet wire be the better option? or to be more specific, square magnet wire, for better coils?
Link2

edit: square magnet wire should theoretically be better if you can wind it nicely.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: