All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Odin The All-Fragger: a large DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Mon Jun 19 2006, 10:31AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I've had really good experience with those "tall donuts" / ferrite sleeves... but then again even free common-mode chokes give better performance/waveforms than ferrite I pay good money for ^^

Silkscreen... pshh. I don't even print out my schematics or overlays when assembling my boards... which might explain why I blow so much stuff up wink hehehe

Besides, it makes commercial obfuscation more straightforward... second to grinding chipnumbers and the black epoxy, that is.

I just loooove the bipolar* drive! Sexy waveforms! What kind of charge/capacitance are we talking here?

*I know it's deliberately 2/3----1/3
Steve Conner
Sat Jun 24 2006, 09:47PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It's a CM600HA-24H IGBT brick so the gate charge is about 5000nC, I think.

Today I took the single turn primary off the OLTC2 resonator and replaced it with 9 turns of 1/4" copper tubing. It could probably do with somewhat more, but 9 was all I could fit while still keeping good clearances.

I also managed to drop the resonator onto a concrete floor, breaking the secondary wire in about 3 places and shearing off half the nylon screws that hold the lid on. sad
Marko
Sat Jun 24 2006, 09:59PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I also managed to drop the resonator onto a concrete floor

cry poor resonator..
I hate when this happens, I just recently burned a hole (from inside) in my DRSSTC secondary, just from pure carelessnes with toroid connection wire.
Now that part has bulged and is crispy to touch frown

So you are going to completely 're-use' OLTC 2 as a DRSSTC.
Sounds cool. smile

-me sees steve posting in 'attachments'
PS. OMG just saw it amazed
Steve Conner
Sat Jul 08 2006, 12:46PM
Yea, it's coming on slowly. I'm going to do more work on the frame tomorrow, and try to get the gate driver boards finished today. I'll try and post a pic of me wielding the finished coil a la Sam Barros for old time's sake wink
Marko
Sat Jul 08 2006, 01:00PM
looks pretty good to me.
Are you currently using conel or helical primary?

I also had problems with primary coils, and pipe I had was so degenerated that I had lots of places where turns touched mutually.
I had to use solid 2,7mm wire wich now makes trouble limmiting the primary current ill

It seems that only hope is to buy already wound pipe and just roll it 'as is' on there.

Primary from your Mjöllnir looked pretty good, I like the style how is it 'pressed' between columns and inner pipe.

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Jul 08 2006, 06:39PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
If you have space issues with 1/4" why not get 1/8" Copper tubeing or 3/16". It's an easy answer you know!

And don't come back with "well yea..but the current is going to heat it up really fast" So! you're going to all this trouble with everything, just put a circulator in the system with a small pump.
GimpyJoe
Sat Jul 08 2006, 10:59PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
He's saying (I think) that the pipe he had was bent around and had been used for other things before he wound a primary with it so it had bumps and kinks in it. And I don't care how much current you have, it's still gonna be hard to heat up 1/8" copper pipe enough to need cooling
Marko
Sun Jul 09 2006, 12:20AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

omg updatez @ scopeboy.com

Hehe, always been my favourite site, keep it going shades

I'm pretty sure that copper pipe if it was 'used' cannot be wound nicely anymore, no matter how much you heat or punish it.

If it isn't already 'in roll' it's very hard to bend it into desired shape.
Steve Conner
Sun Jul 09 2006, 04:50PM
Omg updatez!

Hazmatt: I hope it won't come to needing water cooling. :-/ The spark output of this coil is probably going to be limited by how much power I can get at venues, so I want it to be efficient. If I can only get say 32A@240V, that's 6kVA or about 4kW, and I don't really want to waste one of those kilowatts making tea. tongue

Firkragg: Yes I reused the copper tubing from my old Tesla-2 primary, and I wish I hadn't. sad

I had to scrap the "inner pipe" part of the Mjollnir primary, this new page explains Link2
Steve Ward
Mon Jul 10 2006, 12:03AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Looking great Steve.

I dont know that 1/4" copper tube will handle the power... it will probably get piping hot at even 4kW. When i run my coil at 5kW for awhile, even the 2awg wiring gets quite warm. I recently replaced every connection that was made from steel hardware with brass... the steel was getting absurdly hot.

I also recently figured out why my coil blew up twice recently. I thought it was a voltage spike issue, but it really turned out to be that my old gate driver design floated the output HI when it lost power, and i happened to be running the control circuits on the same 240V feed. So after a few minutes of exceeding my 20A breaker, it would trip, then all the IGBT would blow up from shoot-through on the rails. My new gate driver doesnt have this problem and is also a far better driver.

What i did find in the end is that the little film decoupling caps dont really help much for voltage spikes, provided you keep the lytics connected to the IGBTs with a laminated bus structure. In the end i did end up using RCD snubbers across the IGBTs, which helped the voltage spiking, but i dont think the spikes harm the IGBTs anyway mistrust .

Really looking forward to the end result Steve!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: