Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need 30 kilovolts!

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
brandon3055
Wed May 23 2012, 03:45AM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
Newton can you leave a link to a sight explaining how to modify an MOT into a veriable reactor thanks
Newton Brawn
Thu May 24 2012, 03:26AM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Hi!

The alternating current reactor, also know as ballast, inductor, or even a inductance, is a coil with a magnetic core that has a small air gap.

The MOT primary coil normally is rated 5-10 amper, and the number of primary turns (120~180). This is enough to allows the core works bellow the iron saturation area when 120Vac is applied. So, the primary coil as is is suitable to work, without any modification.

Then we need to provide a air gap is adjustable (0.1 ~3.0mm) between the E and I cores. The result is a variable reluctance to the magnetic flow and a variable inductance. In this applicationthe the final effect is similar to a reostat in serie with the PT primary, allowing adjustment in the primary ac current.
The MOT modification consist in open the transformer magnetic core, remove the high voltage coil, close the core leaving a small air gap between the I and E core. In order to get good and practical core closing, the air gap may be filled up with a hard cardboard, plastic sheet, fiber material.

A tutorial explaining how to open the transformer the may be found in the site:
Link2

or read the thread "windings in a mot" , posted on march 31 2012.

(be more carefull to avoid any damage in the primary coil.)

I'd like see your solution how to provide a mechanic variation of the gap.

Regards

Newton

Newton Brawn
Thu May 24 2012, 04:10AM

Hi All!

I have cut the transformer core welding by hand using a arc saw, hss, not a power grinder.

When I cut the the magnetic core in order to separate the I and E cores, I do not cut exact in the midle of the welding core .

The saw open a slot 1mm out of the welding center, in such way that the E core is not damaged. only the I core receive 1.5-2 mm deep scratch. When reasembling the E core with the I core invert the I core leaving the scratch out of the main magnetic flux.

If the cut is locate in the center of the welding, both E and I cores will be scratched, resulting in a reduction of area of magnetic flow (increasing the induction in that location), possible saturation

Regards

Newton

Newton Brawn
Thu May 24 2012, 04:15AM
The estimate reactance is about 25 ohm for a primary coil with 150 turns and a 1mm gap,

250 ohm for a primary coil with 150 turns and a 0.1mm gap.

The core cross section in question is 25 square centimeter, 0.0025m2.
Oneironaut
Fri Jun 22 2012, 09:15PM
Oneironaut Registered Member #3616 Joined: Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:47PM
[Update]

I have purchased this amazing 35kv beauty, and it works perfectly...

Hv1

With a half wave rectifier, my HV probe reads 18kv, so now I need to source a bundle of HV diodes in order to make a full wave rectifier. This one has 17 diodes and is rated for 100kv....

Hv2

Does anyone know of a good supplier for HV diodes? I found Amazing1, but there most be other suppliers. I would probably need 50 or more to make a full wave rectifier capable of taking the 35kv from my potential transformer.

One more question if I may...

Not having played around with potential transformers before, is it recommended to ballast them? When I had the pole pig, I used 4 stove elements in parallel as ballast and that worked well. A half dozen 500w halogen bulbs in parallel also worked and gave visual feedback when charging the capacitors (lights dimmed as charge increased).

I don't want to cook this 150 pound potential transformer - it wasn't cheap, and from what I can tell, it was a rare find!

Cheers!
Brad

Thomas W
Fri Jun 22 2012, 10:22PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
wow, i really want one of those o.o, where did you find it?
ebay?
Oneironaut
Fri Jun 22 2012, 10:28PM
Oneironaut Registered Member #3616 Joined: Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:47PM
Yep, EBay. I was thinking about hogging the other one for myself, but $500.00 is a bit much for a "spare"! Certainly worth the price though.

Link2

Brad
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: