Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Seek guidance to step-down 1kV pulse to 12volts

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
GammaRay
Fri Jun 15 2012, 08:11PM Print
GammaRay Registered Member #5323 Joined: Fri Jun 15 2012, 02:14PM
I've inherited a Zamboni Dry-pile electrostatic battery. It outputs about 1kV in the microamp range. No telling how old this thing is, but it still works. A google of the Zamboni battery leads one to believe it can operate for decades with a very light load. I connected a 1kV spark gap (a gas spark arrestor) to the Zamboni and it causes a spark to jump the arrestor at about 1Hz, slower if there is low humidity. I am interested in an efficient method to step down the 1kV spark to around 12 volts. That is my reason for making this post on this Forum. From there, the 12 volts will be used to pulse charge a small cap that will trigger an SCR when X voltage is reached and dump the cap's accumulated charge into a small load, such as LEDs or audio buzzer. I am aware this will only provide occassional-intermittent operation of the load, if it is even possible at all. Why am I doing this? For fun, but mainly to see if it can be done.
Sulaiman
Sat Jun 16 2012, 05:52AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I would start with a low-leakage capacitor
(e.g. a plastic film capacitor, ideally polypropylene, 1nF to 100nF)
with a voltage rating higher than the battery voltage (e.g. 1500V)
and put it across the battery.
This will slowly accumulate a usable amount of energy.

You could periodically dump the energy
- directly into a high voltage load such as a xenon flash tube
- or via a pulse transformer into a low voltage load

If you are lucky you may find a small xenon flash tube that fires due to over-voltage below the battery voltage, in which case you would only need the capacitor with the xenon tube directly across it.

A 100nF capacitor charged to 1kV holds 50 mJ, not lethal - but painful!
GammaRay
Sat Jun 16 2012, 02:44PM
Thank you for your suggestion, I like it. I have already placed an order for the 100nF polypropylene cap.

I reviewed the large selection of pulse transformers at Digikey, I must admit that selecting the correct pulse transformer appears a bit challenging. Inductance and E.T. requirements for your recommendation are unknowns to me. I am not confident on which pulse transformer to purchase. I fully understand this forum is not to be used as a crutch, but rather for legitmate assistance and idea sharing. I have put forth a reasonable effort researching the pulse transformer offerings, prior to asking the below.

Rather than spend good money and wasted time on a wild guess, I kindly ask for a recommendation on which pulse transformer part # to purchase. Then I'll move forward with this project.

Respectfully.

Sulaiman
Sat Jun 16 2012, 05:21PM
I would be surprised if you could choose an appropriate transformer - not easy !

I misled you a bit
... the transformer has to handle pulses but it would not be called a 'pulse transformer'
they are usually for triggering or isolation, not power.

I would think that an smps transformer would be your best bet,
(other than a carefully made diy one, e.g. on a ferrite antenna rod, or similar)
look in disused smps for tv/monitor/pc/etc.......Bigger = more V.A.s = better
Your first attempt may result in internal flashover
in which case a second transformer will be required, maybe under oil?
(cooking oil will do)

If you are going to rectify the low voltage output
(the output will probably be a large pulse of one polarity, followed by quite a bit of ac 'ringing')
be sure to use 'fast' rectifiers.

------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------
OR
you could (just for novelty) make an 'inverse Tesla coil'
Use the 'secondary' as a primary to the spark gap and battery
rectify the output from the 'primary'
OR
if you want really bizzare - use the 1kV battery as a power source for an actual spark gap Tesla coil, very low power with occasional (unexpected!) large sparks!
(for a small sgtc the spark length is determined by energy per discharge,
the power mainly affects the repetition rate)
THESE IDEAS WOULD NEED SOME THOUGHT TO PREVENT RF IN THE BATTERY
------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------- -------------
GammaRay
Sun Jun 17 2012, 02:21AM
Checking various vendors, not much luck finding SMPS transformers with large enough turns ratio to convert 1kV to 12v, but I will keep looking. What do you think about my trying the ballast of a fluorescent light, in reverse?
Sulaiman
Sun Jun 17 2012, 06:00AM
The transformer in a typical CCFL inverter would be excellent.

The small capacitor on the output of the CCFL transformer would also match well,
the 100 nF that you have ordered may saturate the core :(

GammaRay
Sun Jun 17 2012, 12:17PM
Found a CCFL inverter (12v to 1kV) used for a UV lamp at:

Link2

Do you think this is a good candidate for reducing 1kV pulse to 12v pulse when used in reverse?
Antonio
Sun Jun 17 2012, 01:16PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
You can try something as in the schematic. Connect a high-voltage capacitor (~100 pF) in parallel with the battery. The spark gap acts as a switch in a buck DC/DC converter, transferring ideally all the energy in C1 to the load capacitor C2 (~1 uF) at each firing. The inductor L shall have low inductance (~100 uH) to keep the energy transfer time short, while the spark is active. An air-core inductor would have enough insulation easily.
1000 V over C1 will charge C2 by 1000*sqrt(C1/C2) = ~10 V at each firing. D1 is a low-leakage high-voltage diode. D2 is not critical, but must be fast. The load Z uses the charge in C2 when a certain (low) voltage is reached, and shall consume very little current from C2 before this.
1339938579 834 FT140137 Image1
GammaRay
Mon Jun 18 2012, 08:40AM
Thanks. Will order the parts. For the inductor material, would ferrite core be more efficient than air coil, or doesn't matter? For D2, a standard Schottky should do? I understand the buck converter circuit except for D2, what purpose does it serve?

Antonio
Mon Jun 18 2012, 04:31PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
A ferrite-core inductor would be smaller, but take care with the insulation. D2 impedes the return of the charge in C2 to C1. Really, its presence makes little difference at this large capacitance ratio.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: