Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Moving Coil Meter

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu May 26 2011, 09:45PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

Does it display believable readings in voltmeter mode?

When connected to a 12V battery charger with a 21 watt bulb as ballast, it reads 8.5V, my DMM reads 9.17 (there could be a voltage drop due to high resistance in the terminals)

The same circuit gives 1.2 amps on both the AVO and DMM.

I'll set up a better test with a car battery in the morning.

(It's only a cheap 4 amp battery charger.)

I'd suggest testing the voltmeter function against ordinary AA 1.5 V cells, rather than introduce the unknowns of a car battery charger into the mix.
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 10:07PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I'd suggest testing the voltmeter function against ordinary AA 1.5 V cells, rather than introduce the unknowns of a car battery charger into the mix.

using a brand new 1.5V duracell LR20 and a 3Ohm nominal resistor (3.3 according to my DMM) it reads 0.5A and 1.45V (but I've not fixed the 'suspected' problem of resistance at the terminals.)
Proud Mary
Thu May 26 2011, 10:27PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

using a brand new 1.5V duracell LR20 and a 3Ohm nominal resistor (3.3 according to my DMM) it reads 0.5A and 1.45V (but I've not fixed the 'suspected' problem of resistance at the terminals.)

That sounds promising, and suggests you don't have a 'sticky' meter movement, an often serious fault. Once you've got your bad connections sorted out, you could do what you can to test the meter on every switch position, as multi-pole rotary switches are very vulnerable to corrosion, man-handling, and the effects of time.
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 10:47PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

That sounds promising, and suggests you don't have a 'sticky' meter movement, an often serious fault. Once you've got your bad connections sorted out, you could do what you can to test the meter on every switch position, as multi-pole rotary switches are very vulnerable to corrosion, man-handling, and the effects of time.

I only bought it to strip down and look at the concentrator. It's already cost me more in batteries than I paid for it, and I haven't replaced the leads yet (apparently RS still sell them) smile

EDIT: I've got the ends of the leads and the terminals soaking in Sainsbury's cola, not as good as 'the real thing', but it still contains phosphoric acid.)
Proud Mary
Thu May 26 2011, 10:56PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

I only bought it to strip down and look at the concentrator. It's already cost me more in batteries than I paid for it, and I haven't replaced the leads yet (apparently RS still sell them) smile

Invest your time and efforts into reconditioning an Avo and you'll have a useful piece of kit to help you on your way for years to come.
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 11:00PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

Invest your time and efforts into reconditioning an Avo and you'll have a useful piece of kit to help you on your way for years to come.

But I've accepted a challenge to build a 25uA FSD movement. I can't back down now! sad

EDIT: BTW, apparently the movement in an AVO is 35uA FSD, and the lowest range is 50uA, at least it is on the Mk III
Nah
Fri May 27 2011, 12:11AM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
I would suggest just buying a good used 70's Fluke.

While the meter you have is great, it isn't ever going to be too accurate. (Stupid voltage drop) A good hamfest $50-75 fluke will last forever and have more than a 20k per volt impendence. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just using the standard for meters) The chronic display problem is solved by taking apart the display and cleaning the contacts with alcohol. Mary, what is your opinion on this?

PS Try using Navel Jelly, it is basicly gelled pho. acid and pink too! It is great as a rust remover and dosn't have the temptation to be eaten.
Proud Mary
Fri May 27 2011, 12:30AM
Ash Small wrote ...

EDIT: BTW, apparently the movement in an AVO is 35uA FSD, and the lowest range is 50uA, at least it is on the Mk III

Do you not perhaps mean 37.5 μA? In any event, the meter is shunted so as to show 50 μA FSD.
Ash Small
Fri May 27 2011, 12:54AM
Nah wrote ...

I would suggest just buying a good used 70's Fluke.

But I've accepted a challenge to build a 25uA FSD movement. buying one isn't an option.

I do have some 'pure' phosphoric, but it's 200 miles away. Coke is the next best thing. (after Naval jelly)

PM, you are correct, as usual, 37.5uA, not 35uA. (I was going to post in the morning (in the cold light of sobriety) that I have the utmost respect for yours, and Sulaiman's and Nicko's opinions (Wait til I post details of the other stuff I picked up when I collected the AVO, I'm sure you'll have plenty of advice).

This thread is, as I said before, 'just a bit of fun', but I don't really want to strip a perfectly good meter if I can find the relevant info elsewhere.
Proud Mary
Fri May 27 2011, 01:11AM
Ash Small wrote ...

I do have some 'pure' phosphoric, but it's 200 miles away. Coke is the next best thing. (after Naval jelly)

Tesco sell a phosphoric acid based stainless steel cleaner spray called Viakal, and I often use it for pickling copper and brass to expose a fresh surface, which it does very well.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: