All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grooved Bobbins For Segmented Windings

Move Thread LAN_403
jpsmith123
Tue Sept 28 2010, 02:44AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Proud Mary you're right about having some extra winding room.

I at first decided to go with 28 gauge wire, but when I started winding it, I realized that I just wasn't getting as many turns as I thought I could.

So I had to abandon it and decide to either do some more machining on the plastic or use smaller wire...so I switched to 30 gauge wire. I didn't want to give up copper, but the thought of more cutting scared me.

Anyway, right now it's about half way done, and I also found out that lots of tension on the wire (and constant tension) is an absolute must. So far it's going pretty good but not quite as neat as I had hoped.

If I can successfully complete it (and that's a big if) I'll post a picture here.
jpsmith123
Mon Oct 04 2010, 09:10PM
Ok I finally got one coil wound.

Many of the segments turned out to be "semi random wound", meaning they're not as nice and neat as I had hoped for, but I think it'll work ok.

The ends of the winding are secured with a drop of "krazy glue".

I'm still debating whether or not I should try to pot the coil...theoretically I shouldn't have to but I might just pot it anyway for the sake of the experience.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to do some quick electrical tests and if so post the results.

1286226305 1321 FT92859 Coil
Patrick
Mon Oct 04 2010, 10:05PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

I at first decided to go with 28 gauge wire, but when I started winding it, I realized that I just wasn't getting as many turns as I thought I could.
hey im doing exactly the same thing with a PE bobbin and 35Ga wire. i worrry about the same problem of calculated wire turns and actual wire turns per channel. related to your above quote, can you give us an estimate on what you were getting... like 60%, 70% actual turns over theoretical, and such? and i geuss your semi-random wind is the best most of us will be able to do, so just an approximation would do.

that work youve done so far is excellent, mine will be under oil, as solid potting prevents changes/fixes.
Proud Mary
Mon Oct 04 2010, 10:28PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, if you have calculated your windings on the basis of copper wire tables, ensure that the figures refer to the wire plus enamel (or whatever) coating.

Unless you are completely certain of your wire's insulated diameter, measure it at a number of points with a micrometer, and use the average figure in calculation, PLUS a contingency margin as I suggested above.

And now you know what sort of problem it is, the easiest approach in future is to do a trial winding over a mandrel, and count the number of turns per cm actually achieved in practice.

Patrick
Mon Oct 04 2010, 11:12PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you have calculated your windings on the basis of copper wire tables, ensure that the figures refer to the wire plus enamel (or whatever) coating.

Unless you are completely certain of your wire's insulated diameter, measure it at a number of points with a micrometer, and use the average figure in calculation, PLUS a contingency margin as I suggested above.

And now you know what sort of problem it is, the easiest approach in future is to do a trial winding over a mandrel, and count the number of turns per cm actually achieved in practice.

yes i account for wire diamater and id just like to have a comparison to someone elses work for a sanity check.

i use a program from wiretron.com, for bare copper 35ga i get:
0.0055" min
0.0056" nom
0.0057" max

with heavy (double) insulation:
i get min build of 0.0009"
therefore:
0.0064" min
0.0067" nom
0.0070" max

the wiretron.com download is free too.

i dont think the 1/10,000" accuracy matters much, so i just use te 0.0067" nominal value for winding calcs.

jpsmith123
Mon Oct 04 2010, 11:17PM
I didn't have a micrometer, but I had a digital caliper which I used.

For my calculations, I added 10% to the wire diameter.

I should say I believe that my failure to get enough turns with the 28 gauge wire was primarily because of my inability to wind the coil as neatly as I would have liked.

And part of the neatness problem was due to some momentary lapses of tension (on the wire) while winding.

@Patrick: What kind of coil are you winding, a single layer coil?

Patrick
Mon Oct 04 2010, 11:53PM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

For my calculations, I added 10% to the wire diameter.
yes, i add 10% too.

jpsmith123 wrote ...

I should say I believe that my failure to get enough turns with the 28 gauge wire was primarily because of my inability to wind the coil as neatly as I would have liked.
yes, i have this problem too.

jpsmith123 wrote ...

And part of the neatness problem was due to some momentary lapses of tension (on the wire) while winding.
ok, maybe a jig is needed, going to have to build one.

jpsmith123 wrote ...

@Patrick: What kind of coil are you winding, a single layer coil?
the same as yours, a pie-channel type, but instead of turning on a lathe im using overhead projection sheets to make the "grooves" so i gain space for the wire top to bottom change over groove; then yours with your small groove and wide walls your loosing alot of winding space, but youve realized this fact in your above posts.

jpsmith123
Tue Oct 05 2010, 12:39AM
Patrick I'm a little bit confused as to exactly how you're doing it.

As I understand it, you're using a polyethylene tube, and sheets for an overhead projector, but I'm not sure exactly what you're doing with the sheets. Are you cutting the sheets into narrow strips and winding them on the PE tube to make "dividers" somehow?

You don't have a picture of it or anything, do you?

(BTW, I also thought of another possibility: back to the teflon coated wire idea, but winding it in, say, 4 sections. That approach might work, but it would be a real PITA to have to make the large CPVC washers, i.e., dividers, from flat stock).
Patrick
Tue Oct 05 2010, 12:56AM
The PE is a temporary form.

Im looking for pics on my Hard drive now. i think i left the original protoype at my parents place. maybe i have an autocad rendering i can post.

anyway, no i dont cut them into strips. i cut templates and stack them like washers on a bolt shaft. the templates are printed by laser printer (cut with razor blades so theres no toner on the final pieces.) Then stacked, wound, stacked... and so on with the sheets 0.0045" thick.

ive had problem getting the channels and winding staying uniform.

jpsmith123
Tue Oct 05 2010, 01:49AM
Hmmm I guess it's just one of those things that I'll have to see a picture of, before I understand it.

Anyway, I just started winding the second coil, and it's amazing how much better (and faster) it's going, based simply on the experience gained from the first one.

I almost feel like making a few extra ones, so I can pick out the best.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: