Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Improved single transistor flyback driver

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Apr 23 2008, 07:08AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Antonio wrote ...

I recommend adding another diode in series with a zener diode between emitter and base of the transistor, to avoid excessive inverse voltages there.
Well, the large bipolars (e.g. 2N3055) are rated maybe an amp or more of reverse base current, so I left it out. Adding it does not hurt of course.

Firefox - for me, for some reason the higher voltage transistors (>200V) don't work very well, get hot and sometimes fail to oscillate. If it works for you, it's good. Go as high supply voltage as you dare, the transistor should theoretically stand 50V or more (watch supply current and transistor temp).
Maybe you can try reversing both primary and feedback coils, this sometimes significantly improves performance with rectified transformers.

Steve Conner
Wed Apr 23 2008, 09:48AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Antonio, are you saying that the cycle will end when the transistor goes out of saturation, even if the core doesn't saturate?

I guess that makes sense, since the transistor out of saturation is a constant current sink, constant current implies di/dt = 0, and hence there can be no induced voltage in the transformer to provide the base drive.
Antonio
Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:56PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Dr. Spork wrote ...

Antonio, are you saying that the cycle will end when the transistor goes out of saturation, even if the core doesn't saturate?

I guess that makes sense, since the transistor out of saturation is a constant current sink, constant current implies di/dt = 0, and hence there can be no induced voltage in the transformer to provide the base drive.

Yes. The operation is, essentially:
1 - The collector current rises in a ramp from zero while the base current is constant.
2 - When the transistor leaves saturation, the collector current ceases to increase.
3 - The base current goes to zero because dic/dt is zero.
4 - A large positive pulse appears at the collector, caused by the current in the upper inductance charging the capacitor and the load capacitance, while a negative pulse appears at the base. The amplitude of this pulse is clipped if the be junction ruptures. Maybe good to put a diode in series with the base to prevent this, and a resistor between base and emitter to discharge the base. The zener+diode that I suggested before would just cause clipping at a smaller voltage.
5 - The pulse falls and tends to become negative, being clipped by the diode across the transistor. When the pulse returns to zero the cycle repeats.

Similar oscillators can be found in the standby power supply in the power supply of most PCs.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Apr 23 2008, 04:27PM
Maybe I'm wrong but this is how I think the circuit works;

1) Transistor gets turned on by the resistor divider.
2) Voltage gets induced on the feedback coil. This voltage forces even more current through the transistor base.
3)As the transformer core saturates, the base currents starts to fall until the transistor goes out of saturation.
4) As the transistor turns off, the magnetic field collapses, and induces a high voltage pulse of OPPOSITE polarity on all coils - so this forces the base voltage to go negative, shutting the transistor off, untill the voltage "flies back" . The cycle repeats.

If the primary-feedback phasing was opposite, the circuit would fail to oscillate, because the HV spike of opposite polarity would force the transistor ON instead of OFF - so it would never happen.

EDIT - Here are quick MS Paint waveforms, in no way accurate, but they illustrate my idea good enough:

Osc

Antonio
Wed Apr 23 2008, 09:50PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
The waveforms assuming that the transformer does not saturate are similar, but the current grows linearly. I show below the result of a simulation with SwitcherCAD III, showing the voltages at the collector and at the base, and the currents trough the collector and the diode across the transistor. The simulator assumed that the be junction does not break down.
Oscilador
cbfull
Fri Apr 25 2008, 11:57AM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
Just a quick note about that circuit, you can put a diode in series with the 22R segment to eliminate the wasted 30-40mA that drains through those two resistors. It's nothing major but if you start going up in power (which most of us do), the wasted power can become significant.

I might have to double check my archives but I have a circuit diagram with this diode included.
quicksilver
Fri Apr 25 2008, 02:35PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
I could be way off base here but doesn't all this have an interdependency on the flyback in question? I've used the "simple driver" with a 2N3773 and it worked a bit better than the the same driver with the MJE13009 with specific transformers.

Then the "enhanced" driver appeared to function much better with a third (NTE284) transistor. The differences between flybacks appears to be a greater variable than just the driver design alone.

This had just been my experience from my sampling....but is there validity to this???
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 25 2008, 03:49PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
quicksilver wrote ...

I could be way off base here but doesn't all this have an interdependency on the flyback in question? I've used the "simple driver" with a 2N3773 and it worked a bit better than the the same driver with the MJE13009 with specific transformers.

Then the "enhanced" driver appeared to function much better with a third (NTE284) transistor. The differences between flybacks appears to be a greater variable than just the driver design alone.

This had just been my experience from my sampling....but is there validity to this???

Very good points I think. TV LOPTs have been optimized not only for operation at ~16kHz, but usually to drive multiple loads from primary taps and often multiple tapped secondaries in addition to the EHT winding, and all at the same time. PC Monitor flybacks will have been optimized for operation at twice this frequency and more. I would expect this optimization to be reflected in the composition of the magnetic core, and whatever gaps it may have.
dingo27
Fri May 02 2008, 10:37AM
dingo27 Registered Member #890 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 10:06PM
i tried that schematics, but little bit different... i dont have any diode or capacitor, resistors i have 220 and 22 ohms... primary winding 5 turns and secondary 3 turns on HV transformer from CRT...
and... i am running it from 12V PC PSU

arcs are 1cm long, but not flammable (e.g. safe) and it is doing squeeking sound ( i cant WRITE exactly :) ... i am powering with it my mini SGTC ( available at teslacoils, theme TC at 12V? )

transistor should be cooled good enough, because it is slightly overheating (2n3055)

photos as soon as i get charged my batteries (8-9 hours, maybe i buy two)

Dr. Dark Current
Fri May 02 2008, 12:59PM
Dingo, the capacitor makes the biggest difference. Your circuit looks to me like the original schematic. With the capacitor my transistor does not run hot and I can draw out more power.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: