Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Running a petrol generator underwater with compressed air tanks

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Fri Apr 03 2015, 10:20AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I think the 'obvious' solution here is a diesel engine running a generator to charge lead acid batteries on the surface.

This should easily give dive durations of well over an hour with a craft of the dimensions that you describe.

Keep it simple wink
Patrick
Sat Apr 04 2015, 05:09PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Never mind about what i previously said, I thought this was supposed to be a unmanned sub of some-sort. (which I will be doing at Lake Shasta as part of my business.) Uzzor2k has some on his sight as i said.

20 meters of water, with a petrol engine under my seat is to far for me to go, with out some serious $500k and personal investment of time to make sure were not getting killed or hurt. Though this is a cool idea, and here at 4HV, you'll get better answers, I think, than at other forums with radicals.

I was thinking this was a "bue-fin 21" like idea. Link2

Carbon Rod, it looks like WeeWow is a toy maker? is that all they do?
BigBad
Sat Apr 04 2015, 11:24PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

ultimately you have the same requirement as 'spaceships' ... energy storage density.
I think liquid O2 and H2 are current 'best'.
No, the energy storage density of liquid hydrogen is fairly awful. Rockets use it because the exhaust velocity is very high, but that's not going to be useful in a submarine.

If you want high energy density LOX/Kero is much better. Actually, I think High Test Peroxide/Kero may be better still because HTP has a higher density, but I might be wrong, I know it has a better ISP density, but that's not quite the same thing.

In the context of a submarine, LOX/Kero might burn a bit hot. It might be possible to recirculate the exhaust gases around, cooling them with sea water and to remove some but not all of the carbon dioxide, dumping water overboard, and then inject more LOX and send it back around again, but it's quite complicated.

A simpler alternative is to use liquid air, but that has much lower energy density.
Andy
Sun Apr 05 2015, 11:00PM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Planning on have batterys for five min run at max, the motors will be induction 10kw with three, and two power settings. A Vfd drive controls one from zero to hunderd, the three from zero to hunderd percent.
About the batterys, ive seen lead acid with 20C, which should give about 500mA at 12volt,2Ah,
Im abit lost on what setup would work, I would like 30kw of drain for say five mins, with a 10kw genny, and have roughtly 5kw of general thrust.

Supercapactors,Sla,Lipoly,Nimh
For the genny, a lister desiol engine, a custom themopile setup, a car air engine, batterys by th err m selves(no genny on board).

BigBad
Mon Apr 06 2015, 02:13AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
IRC peroxide and a fuel is a traditional choice in torpedoes- it burns fairly cold(ish):

Link2

Of course rockets are the most amazing propulsion for underwater use!
Bored Chemist
Wed Apr 08 2015, 08:06AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
BigBad wrote ...

Sulaiman wrote ...

ultimately you have the same requirement as 'spaceships' ... energy storage density.
I think liquid O2 and H2 are current 'best'.
No, the energy storage density of liquid hydrogen is fairly awful. Rockets use it because the exhaust velocity is very high, but that's not going to be useful in a submarine.

If you want high energy density LOX/Kero is much better. Actually, I think High Test Peroxide/Kero may be better still because HTP has a higher density, but I might be wrong, I know it has a better ISP density, but that's not quite the same thing.

In the context of a submarine, LOX/Kero might burn a bit hot. It might be possible to recirculate the exhaust gases around, cooling them with sea water and to remove some but not all of the carbon dioxide, dumping water overboard, and then inject more LOX and send it back around again, but it's quite complicated.

A simpler alternative is to use liquid air, but that has much lower energy density.
Liquid air is abrely a viable option.
The nitrogen boils off first (which is useless for combustion) then the liquid oxygen that's left boils off and feeds nearly pure oxygen into the engine which also isn't good...
A stack of car or truck batteries still looks to me like a good idea.

Andy
Wed Apr 08 2015, 10:11AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Got two battery choices, the lead acid has more storage for price, but the NiMh with the same price proable can discharge more juice at once.

For 15mins run time at 20kw, what one do you lot thing would be better, andtake up less room with wireing.

Would it be a good idea to use the metal structure as the negtive earth connection for the batterys, aswell as ground for the mains ac source, would it be better for the people inside aswell is releabile for the electronics?

Link2

HR-DUX(10.0AH)/SY148-ND-1202991

MSB200FR/ MSB200FR-ND/4484928

Cheers
Dr. Slack
Wed Apr 08 2015, 02:06PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Even if the lead acid has more rated capacity for the price, that will be at the C/10 or C/20 rate. For a 15 min run time, that's a 4C rate. Lead acid gets much less efficient as the rate goes up. If you want to compare two battery chemistries for cost, compare them at the rate you will be using.

Cycle life. Lead doesn't like deep discharge, more than 50% shortens its life dramatically. So you would want to install 2x rated capacity with lead acid for a similar lifetime. NimH OTOH will discharge to full depth.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: