All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Marx Generator Kits - FREE Kits for Evaluation!

Move Thread LAN_403
Chip Fixes
Thu Jan 10 2013, 04:45PM
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
Same with rp181, I also have the equipment to measure various aspects of the CW.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jan 11 2013, 12:56AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm so excited. Waiting on some parts, but will start contacting you all in the next few days. Thanks again guys!

Allison
HV Enthusiast
Mon Jan 14 2013, 02:42PM
UPDATE:

PM's sent to the first responders here. Unfortunately, we only have a limited amount of kits, so we weren't able to accomodate everyone. Sorry.

Please following instructions on PM with your name and address information.

These are free kits and all I ask in return is your comments and feedback and well as how well your kit performed. If you loved 'em, if you hated 'em. If you think they're great - if you think they stink. All feedback appreciated!

Also, as Suilaman pointed out, if you are international, you may need to use alternative capacitors on the CW multiplier and/or use a different input source. The input source is rated for 120VAC operation. The capacitors on the Marx. are rated for 6kV.

Thanks for you interest.

Allison
Marko
Mon Jan 14 2013, 04:37PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi Allison

May I offer some evaluation/advice without you having to send a kit to me? :)

The spark gaps in your marx seem to be made simply from bent capacitor pins. While I can see this was the easiest solution here, I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons:

- The thin wires could be easily bent by handling or transport, and setting them back to their original position can be painstaking.

- Even worse, they could quickly suffer metal fatigue and get torn completely.

- The sharp edges of the wires render the gaps even more difficult to adjust, because breakdown voltage will wary greatly depending on how the wire was cut. That's why people bend the wire ends into little loops on their marx generators!

Ideally, you want all the gaps to fire reliably at almost the same voltage, which is just a bit less than your maximum charging voltage for the best effect. There are a number of ways to construct good spark gaps, but here's one idea that just fell to my mind:

Buy a bag of small decorative acorn/dome brass nuts like these: Link2

Then solder them from beneath the PCB, facing each other. Before soldering, space them with an adequate spacer (which could be a sheet of thick paper or a thin PCB). I've had good success with simple spark gaps made this way.

Marko
HV Enthusiast
Mon Jan 14 2013, 05:51PM
Thanks Marko. Thats an excellent tip. I had thought about using a different type of electrode configuration, but most of my ideas were too cost prohibitive. The acorn nuts look like a great idea. If they can be easily soldered by the typical general purpose soldering iron to a pad then that would be a great solution. A suitable spacer could then be included in the kit for the proper distance.

Thank you Marko

Allison
Marko
Mon Jan 14 2013, 07:14PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

Thanks Marko. Thats an excellent tip. I had thought about using a different type of electrode configuration, but most of my ideas were too cost prohibitive. The acorn nuts look like a great idea. If they can be easily soldered by the typical general purpose soldering iron to a pad then that would be a great solution. A suitable spacer could then be included in the kit for the proper distance.

Thank you Marko

Allison

Hi Allison

To facilitate soldering of the brass nuts, it is a good idea to sand the surfaces that are going to be soldered with some fine grit sandpaper. Small M3 or similar sized nuts shouldn't be a problem to heat up and solder with any hobbyst soldering iron.

If you're lucky, you might even be able to get some nickel plated brass nuts (rare in my country) which should be even easier to solder as they resist oxidation.

Marko
Alex M
Tue Jan 15 2013, 07:03PM
Alex M Registered Member #3943 Joined: Sun Jun 12 2011, 05:24PM
EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

UPDATE:

PM's sent to the first responders here. Unfortunately, we only have a limited amount of kits, so we weren't able to accomodate everyone. Sorry.

Please following instructions on PM with your name and address information.

These are free kits and all I ask in return is your comments and feedback and well as how well your kit performed. If you loved 'em, if you hated 'em. If you think they're great - if you think they stink. All feedback appreciated!

Also, as Suilaman pointed out, if you are international, you may need to use alternative capacitors on the CW multiplier and/or use a different input source. The input source is rated for 120VAC operation. The capacitors on the Marx. are rated for 6kV.

Thanks for you interest.

Allison

Thanks, just replied to it and payed for shipping to the UK.

I look forward to testing this kit out and being a beta tester!
Inducktion
Tue Jan 15 2013, 08:33PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
I've also seen some people use ball bearings as the sparkgaps. How you would solder them though is another thing...
HV Enthusiast
Mon Jan 21 2013, 07:12PM
These have all shipped! Thanks again!
Houdini0118
Fri Jan 25 2013, 04:47AM
Houdini0118 Registered Member #8558 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2012, 11:38PM
Mine arrived today and it looks very cool. I have started building it but it appears R1 and R2 of high voltage multiplier 1.0 are missing.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: