Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Moving Coil Meter

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed May 25 2011, 09:56AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Well, I've some spare cash now, and before deciding on which magnets to order, thought I'd do a bit of research.

While I've seen the arm that you mention on meters before, I can't find any mention of it in any of the articles I've looked at.

Patrick wrote ...

remember the d'Araonsval meter has that arm stretching in a curve across from pol to pole, to linearize the meters scale, otherwise what your showing above is exponetial or logarithmic, i forget which.

im trying to find pics and my book at the moment... to show what i mean.

i may not have said this all quite right let me get another post to you regarding this matter.
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 02:54PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I scored this for a tenner on Ebay last night, and collected it this morning. It was two miles away.
1306421645 3414 FT115451 Avo Model 8 Mk Iii

AVO Model 8 Mk III

I'll open it up and have a look at the movement later. I'm particularly interested in looking at the 'concentrator'.

It's giving some strange readings on the Ohm scale, but I'll try some new batteries and see if that sorts it out.
Proud Mary
Thu May 26 2011, 04:17PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Ash Small wrote ...

I scored this for a tenner on Ebay last night, and collected it this morning. It was two miles away.

AVO Model 8 Mk III

I'll open it up and have a look at the movement later. I'm particularly interested in looking at the 'concentrator'.

It's giving some strange readings on the Ohm scale, but I'll try some new batteries and see if that sorts it out.

Coo, that's a real beauty, Ash, and well cared-for by the looks of it.

You should put a fresh 15V battery in it, before drawing any conclusions about the resistance ranges.

All being well with the new battery, I would resist the temptation to open it and look inside. It has survived all those years without your intervention! smile
Nicko
Thu May 26 2011, 04:45PM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Ash Small wrote ...

AVO Model 8 Mk III

Congratulations. Seconded to what PM said (don't mess too much with it - they are subtle and quick to anger). I don't know why but I've fallen in love with AVOs recently. Got one at a boot fair in Tunbridge Wells about a month ago for 13 quid complete with pristine leather case (Its a Model 47 or a Model 40, not sure!). Leads a bit crummy, but otherwise OK. Seems mostly ok - movement has been replaced. Now got 4 of them!

1306428476 1334 FT115451 P1040105

The place to go for info on AVOs and how to look after/repair them is the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum on "Specific Vintage Equipment" Link2 .

They've been extremely helpful with my questions and also maintain a register of 1000's of these things' serial numbers. They will also tell you when yours was made.

HTH,
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 04:50PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

You should put a fresh 15V battery in it, before drawing any conclusions about the resistance ranges.

All being well with the new battery, I would resist the temptation to open it and look inside. It has survived all those years without your intervention! smile

This one has been converted to take an A23 12V battery in series with an AAA 1.5V battery. This gives 13.5V (according to my limited maths)

Is this sufficient, or should I add another AAA to bring it up to 15V?

1306428603 3414 FT115451 Dscf0425

1306428603 3414 FT115451 Dscf0426

Also, the battery cover is missing, but I'll make up an aluminium one, I think. (If it works OK once I've replaced the batteries.

Maybe you are right, opening it up could be considered as 'cheating', but I've not been able to find any detail about the iron magnetic field concentrator online. (Some articles refer to an iron core or a piece of iron tubing inside the coil)

I downloaded the AVO service manual, and that seems to state that the concentrator remains in the scaleplate assembly when the coil is removed.

1306429355 3414 FT1630 Avo Service
Proud Mary
Thu May 26 2011, 05:15PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

This one has been converted to take an A23 12V battery in series with an AAA 1.5V battery. This gives 13.5V (according to my limited maths)

Is this sufficient, or should I add another AAA to bring it up to 15V?

1306428603 3414 FT115451 Dscf0425

1306428603 3414 FT115451 Dscf0426

Also, the battery cover is missing, but I'll make up an aluminium one, I think. (If it works OK once I've replaced the batteries.

Maybe you are right, opening it up could be considered as 'cheating', but I've not been able to find any detail about the iron magnetic field concentrator online. (Some articles refer to a piece of iron tubing inside the coil)

I downloaded the AVO service manual, and that seems to state that the concentrator remains in the faceplate assembly when the coil is removed.

Oh dearie me - we can only hope that the person responsible for such an awful bodge job on the batteries hasn't been tinkering elsewhere.

In the normal course of events, one can compensate for declining battery voltage by means of set zero, but I would advise you to use the full 15 V for re-commissioning so you can test the set zero across its whole range, and perhaps identify any tinkering or other short-coming.

RESISTANCE
Before testing, the pointer should be adjusted to zero in the following sequence :
(1) Set left-hand switch at “ RESISTANCE.”
(2) Join the leads together.
(3) On the “Ω” range, adjust to zero by means of the knob marked “ ZERO Ω.”
(4) On the “Ω ÷ 100” range, adjust to zero by means of the knob marked “ ZERO Ω ÷ 100.”
(5) On the “Ω x 100” range, adjust to zero by means of the knob marked “ ZERO Ω x 100”
To test a resistance, set the right-hand switch at the range required, the leads being connected across the unknown component. Resistance is read directly on the “Ω” range, but indications should be divided or multiplied by 100 on the other two ranges.

It is often possible to identify past bodging and tinkering by examining the fastenings with a jeweller's loup, as the bodger will commonly use screwdrivers or sockets of the wrong size, which leave their own characteristic markings behind them.
Sulaiman
Thu May 26 2011, 05:42PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
As Small'
It's amazing how many seemingly unimportant details turn out to be very clever bits of engineering
- often too late to be fully appreciated. (oops !)

If in good condition it's a useful meter

if minor repairs (resistors etc.) can get it to a useful state then it would be a nice little project.

If there is bad corrosion or the meter movement (magnet, pivots, coil, springs, pointer et.) needs repair then it can be a significant project, hours of restoration calibrated vs. a $5 dmm.
(that I've previously tested the calibration of common ranges to better than 1%)
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 07:13PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

In the normal course of events, one can compensate for declining battery voltage by means of set zero, but I would advise you to use the full 15 V for re-commissioning so you can test the set zero across its whole range, and perhaps identify any tinkering or other short-coming.

RESISTANCE
Before testing, the pointer should be adjusted to zero in the following sequence :
(1) Set left-hand switch at “ RESISTANCE.”
(2) Join the leads together.
(3) On the “Ω” range, adjust to zero by means of the knob marked “ ZERO Ω.”
(4) On the “Ω ÷ 100” range, adjust to zero by means of the knob marked “ ZERO Ω ÷ 100.”
(5) On the “Ω x 100” range, adjust to zero by means of the knob marked “ ZERO Ω x 100”
To test a resistance, set the right-hand switch at the range required, the leads being connected across the unknown component. Resistance is read directly on the “Ω” range, but indications should be divided or multiplied by 100 on the other two ranges.

It is often possible to identify past bodging and tinkering by examining the fastenings with a jeweller's loup, as the bodger will commonly use screwdrivers or sockets of the wrong size, which leave their own characteristic markings behind them.

Well, I've taken a couple of A23's apart and made one 10 cell battery (reads 15.6V on my DMM). I can't get it to zero on the Ohms/100 range(lowest it will go is 50 (equal to 0.5V), so I assume it was adjusted inside to allow zeroing on the 13.5V it was operating on before.

I found the instructions to adjust this earlier, but can't seem to find them now.(I'm sure I will if I keep looking) but this means I'll have to open it up anyway. (The internal adjustment should be set so that the external adjusters are midway when it is zeroed, to allow for adjustment in either direction)

I was on the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum earlier, but I'm not sure if it was there or somewhere else.

EDIT: The 15V battery is only used by the Ohms X 100 range (according to the circuit diagram), so the above fault isn't due to the 15V battery

EDIT EDIT: It's a resistance problem. I shorted the terminals using some silver plated wire and it zeros. I'll try cleaning the terminals, that should improve things further. Time for some new leads I think.
Proud Mary
Thu May 26 2011, 08:55PM
Does it display believable readings in voltmeter mode?
Ash Small
Thu May 26 2011, 09:29PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Does it display believable readings in voltmeter mode?

When connected to a 12V battery charger with a 21 watt bulb as ballast, it reads 8.5V, my DMM reads 9.17 (there could be a voltage drop due to high resistance in the terminals)

The same circuit gives 1.2 amps on both the AVO and DMM.

I'll set up a better test with a car battery in the morning.

(It's only a cheap 4 amp battery charger.)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: