Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Huge DRSSTC Project

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dzejwor
Tue Aug 16 2011, 09:28PM
Dzejwor Registered Member #2750 Joined: Sun Mar 21 2010, 08:47PM
So my first light was delayed by bad weather and rain I ran my coil first time today and I'm not especially satisfied with the results. I dont know how exact tune that coil. I set the ocd to 1kA but current wont ringup as high. Now I can only put ~250VAC from the variac maybe this is my problem - too low bus voltage. Can someone show me proper primary current waveform with the secondary ? I see something strange - ringdown after last cucle looks like it has changed the phase after some cycles. I dont have picture but I get when i run next time - maybe tomorow if not it will rain. I add vide from today: Link2
Goodchild
Wed Aug 17 2011, 03:19PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Dzejwor wrote ...

So my first light was delayed by bad weather and rain I ran my coil first time today and I'm not especially satisfied with the results. I dont know how exact tune that coil. I set the ocd to 1kA but current wont ringup as high. Now I can only put ~250VAC from the variac maybe this is my problem - too low bus voltage. Can someone show me proper primary current waveform with the secondary ? I see something strange - ringdown after last cucle looks like it has changed the phase after some cycles. I dont have picture but I get when i run next time - maybe tomorow if not it will rain. I add vide from today: Link2

That looks ok, I bet you just need more bus voltage! I run 650VDC on my big DRSSTC to get 12 feet.

Here is a proper DRSSTC ring up and ring down with no secondary in place
4627741312 5255283fce

The changing phase you see at the end is the point at which the IGBTs stop driving and the diodes start back rectifying the energy left in the tank circuit back into the bus capacitor.

Keep in mind though that the ring up and ring down with charge depending on how you have it tuned and the coupling factor.

Good luck with next test!
Dzejwor
Wed Aug 17 2011, 06:02PM
Yes I know this but I see something diferent than in my other coils in current ringdown. I show this later now I go outside to make some tests with doubler and higher bus voltage. Ofcourde my waveforms without primary are good.
Dzejwor
Wed Aug 17 2011, 07:12PM
If I put secondary in place I have something like this it is strange to me in other coils I always had diferent ringdown - like without primary but with notches. I twas get at around 100V bus voltage.
1313608180 2750 FT111048 Ringdown
My scope fails again but it's not important now this is time base generator.

So I test rail voltage up to the 660V with no problems using voltage doubler but I stil need more tunning. I cant break 2.5m (8.2 feet). Video from today tests: Link2
Gregory
Wed Aug 17 2011, 11:27PM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
You only need more tune. Appear that you need to low your primary fres to get in tune, allowing the corona charge to put it in tune
Goodchild
Thu Aug 18 2011, 12:02AM
I agree with Gregory, tuning is most likely your issue. If tuned and coupled in particulate ways you can see "notches" form in the primary current similar to what you are seeing now. These notches would only occur with the secondary in place because it's a function of coupling and tuning and not just one.

You can see a notch starting to form in primary current in this simulation of a DR:
6006308279 634d430c4e Z
StevenCaton
Sat Aug 20 2011, 08:59PM
StevenCaton Registered Member #1845 Joined: Fri Dec 05 2008, 05:38AM
Dang Eric, there you go again whippin out ur complicated simulations. amazed
Dzejwor
Fri Aug 26 2011, 07:31PM
So after some tests I came to the conclusion that my waveforms are not as good as I thought before. I have some bad oscilations at output voltage and slev rate on the gates are to low - 500ns falltime and around 2uS rise time. So I must redesign GDT or whole gate driver but I dont know how. What is the best way to make goodworking GDT ? I think my core is not so good for this job. I use TX58/41/18 made of 3E25 material - They work wery good in my smalest coils. Here is core datasheet Link2 and material Link2
What material will be better ? I can get 3C90 or 3F3 other will be dificult to buy in my country frown Is there a better method of winding 4:1:1:1:1 GDT ? I make four twisted pairs of wires and twist them together. one wire of each pair is my secondary second is part of four times longer primary. I see Finn's GDTs and they look similar.
Goodchild
Sat Aug 27 2011, 06:10AM
SteveCaton wrote ...

Dang Eric, there you go again whippin out ur complicated simulations. amazed

Steve you know how much I love my squiggly lines... shades
Dzejwor
Thu Sept 01 2011, 09:20PM
Everything look good and I add some spark photos:

1314911981 2750 FT111048 Crw 64461

1314911981 2750 FT111048 Crw 64471

1314911982 2750 FT111048 Crw 64481

1314911982 2750 FT111048 Crw 64493

1314911982 2750 FT111048 Crw 64501
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: