Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High voltage probe for O-scope, 1 of 2, ( DEVELOPMENT ).

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Mon Feb 28 2011, 07:23PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
EDIT: (UPDATE: 15.4pF + 15.4pF = 7.0pF !!! (seriesed) Capacitience Problem SOLVED! And thier rock stable too.
I belive the 7.7pF vs 7.0pF discrepency is due to the leads' capacitence and nulling. I think its fine as long as the two inpdependent capacitences are close/exactly the same. I have class now, will be back to harmonize the math later.) All of this was later proved wrong, the capacitences do not divide evenly, due to "Molar-Coulomb charging" on dissimilar surface areas. The steel tube at a half length has twice the SA of the full copper tube.

1298921016 2431 FT107837 Sam 0521newcap
The tube with insulating fins.

1298921016 2431 FT107837 Sam 0511newcap3
FR4 composite fins, nevermind the scorched carbon. Ths is a non-fucnctional mock-up.

1298921016 2431 FT107837 Sam 0539newcap2
One end cap, with copper and steel plates.
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 01 2011, 01:12AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Great too see it all going swimmingly, Patrick! smile
Patrick
Tue Mar 01 2011, 04:08AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

No! I managed to find a new crisis to play with. Their sharing 1.1pF's THROUGH the tube! Damt it thats why the should be 7.7pF is actually 7.0pF, dam it, dam it, dam it.
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 01 2011, 11:08AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Patrick wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

No! I managed to find a new crisis to play with. Their sharing 1.1pF's THROUGH the tube! Damt it thats why the should be 7.7pF is actually 7.0pF, dam it, dam it, dam it.

It's always reassuring to meet fellow OSFTSB Club members.

(One Step Forward, Two Steps Back)

Club motto: In this disaster, business is always round the corner

It's life, Patrick, but not as we know it! smile
Patrick
Tue Mar 01 2011, 05:37PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

It's always reassuring to meet fellow OSFTSB Club members.

(One Step Forward, Two Steps Back)

Club motto: In this disaster, business is always round the corner

It's life, Patrick, but not as we know it! smile

LOL! Yes that says it all ! angry
Patrick
Thu Mar 24 2011, 05:55AM
[Gen 4, Type 3, Mod 40, Rev H, Ver 2.0, Attempt 9] for HV O-scope Probes, Has failed. Moving on to :
[Gen 5, Type 3, Mod 50, Rev H, Ver 2.0, Attempt 10]
(new cap leafs like the Tek 6013A will be looked at)

Previous attempt failed due to capacitence dividing unevenly, molecular oil (single charge per mole) added charge (Coloumb) which pushed the series capacitors division off ideal.

(From above post)
Patrick wrote ...

EDIT: (UPDATE: 15.4pF + 15.4pF = 7.0pF !!! (seriesed) Capacitience Problem SOLVED! And thier rock stable too.
I belive the 7.7pF vs 7.0pF discrepency is due to the leads' capacitence and nulling. I think its fine as long as the two inpdependent capacitences are close/exactly the same. I have class now, will be back to harmonize the math later.) All of this was later proved wrong, the capacitences do not divide evenly, due to "Molar-Coulomb charging" on dissimilar surface areas. The steel tube at a half length has twice the SA of the full copper tube.

1298921016 2431 FT107837 Sam 0521newcap
The tube with insulating fins.

1298921016 2431 FT107837 Sam 0511newcap3
FR4 composite fins, nevermind the scorched carbon. Ths is a non-fucnctional mock-up.

1298921016 2431 FT107837 Sam 0539newcap2
One end cap, with copper and steel plates.
Patrick
Sat Apr 09 2011, 02:04AM
Here is a new source:
]hv_chap6.pdf[/file]
Look at page 7, Fig 6.12(b) the conic-axial shield is strikingly similar to the NorthStar VD series, with those external grading rings tapered towards each other.

in the pdf the "cone" seems to make more capacity with the narrow end near the resistor, and less capacity is made as the taper expands wider, thus there would be less voltage across the high capacity side(closest), while more voltage across the lower capacity rim (farthest). Thus the unwanted stray capacity along the length of the resistor is in series with the deliberate capacity of the cone, and since the magnitudes and directions of the currents are opposing each other, the stray factors do not inluence the High freq Ac properties of the resistor. I think the e-field would be calculated as a derivative? or maybe a differential.
Patrick
Tue Apr 12 2011, 02:44AM
New sources for oscilloscopes:

Link2 Time Domain, Rise time, related math.

Link2 Basic Probe types, considerations, limitations.

]n2771-92000.pdf[/file] Agilent N2771 Hv Probe.

Here's my newest problem: if the agilent N2771 Probe is 100Mohms in series with 1pF, and rise time = 2.2RC, then I get 220 uS! (it should be 7nS.) Which equals a probe with 4.5kHz of bandwidth, yet they claim a 50Mhz BW. What am I doing wrong?
teravolt
Tue Apr 12 2011, 04:08AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Hi Patrick I don't mean to be impertinent but what exactly are you measuring? Pulse, ac, dc, decayed, what accuracy ppm, pulse duration, ect. At work when we build probes they may be built for what we are going to look at. If you intend to look at a broadband of what ever it will be harder to build a probe than if it was narrowed. mabe you will need a compansation box.
Patrick
Tue Apr 12 2011, 05:03AM
teravolt wrote ...

... I don't mean to be impertinent...
Please dont hold back, I need as much input and verification as possible. (Even if your a communist from Berkely cheesey )

My Project Concept Design and purpose has the minimum requirements of :

Being able to measure sqaure waves from ferrite and other SMPS components, CW's...ripple on HV caps, and similar.
--Square wave of 100kHz at High resolution. (10X the sample rate of a 98% amplitude sine wave BW)
--Square wave of 500kHz at lower resolution. (but at 98% of amplitude, thus far away from -3dB)
* I need to be able to resolve / detect on 1uS to 500nS abberations.

Given the following thoughts:

Since a BW of 4X faster (and less) than the wave being measured would yield a functional/trouble shooting aproximation. While a BW of 4X and greater would be a high accuracy characterazation. I will choose 5x, since the wave form in terms of Absolute magntude of voltage, and arrival/duration time will be used in deriving complex math for Ph.d. research. (i.e. I will use instaneous V x I @ T, integrating area under the traced curve to determine average power applied during each 20uS pulse)

I am trying to specify the reqiurements, but constrain them to what is needed and adequate. I would also like to have the power load drawn at High freq to be less than 10W if possible, Im still trying to figure out how to avoid derating (and loading) at High Freq. Impedance is a consideration, but i will be making measurements on a HV HF source and load pair operating at 100-500 watts, mostly. So 10W consumed will likely not burden the measurement displayed too much.

I believe the following is how I can justify spec'ing the probe, without magic numbers pulled out of the ass.

Soo... using the log properties, the desired ratio of "Wave freq to probe/O-scope BW"
20 Log (Vin/Vout) = 20 Log 0.98 = -0.175 dB
0.2 = BW 5 times faster than the signal speed = 98% signal amplitude displayed on screen.
BW = 100 kHz x 5 = 500kHz x 10s/s = 5Mhz
Rise Time = 0.35 / 5 Mhz = 70 nS

So to start with for the first generation I think a BW of 5Mhz, and a rise Time of 70 nS will be suffcient.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: