Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Odin The All-Fragger: a large DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
teravolt
Wed Jul 09 2014, 04:51PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
other than the hard switching do you think that you might have any shoot through and would any dead time be good for your set up?
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 09 2014, 05:51PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The PLL driver has adjustable dead time, I was using 500ns for the 12T4. I didn't see any signs of shoot-through on the Rogowski coil signal. I tried deliberately reducing the dead time, and some very obvious nasty spikes appeared, which shows that the Rogowski coil is capable of detecting shoot-through and that some dead time is needed.

I just ran the 12T4 up to 1500A at 600V bus voltage, while twiddling the fine tune knob back and forth to provoke a little hard switching, with no apparent ill effects. Now to repeat the experiment with the 128.
Uspring
Wed Jul 09 2014, 06:31PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
The funny thing is that even with this large hard switched current, and turning off the IGBT as fast as possible with no gate resistors, and probing as close to the die as possible, the voltage waveform is very clean. I can't see any spikes that would endanger the breakdown voltage of the device. If I tune the phase lead for perfect ZCS according to the Rogowski coil signal, the spikes get somewhat worse, and if I tune it for leading current, the spikes get terrible.
Isn't this as expected, i.e. no spikes with phase lead and increasing tendency as it gets low or turns into phase lag?
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 09 2014, 07:11PM
I think with phase lag, the current has already commutated to the diode in the bridge leg that is about to turn off. When the other leg turns on, it causes forced recovery of the diode and this generates a large and ugly spike. However the switches are guaranteed zero current turn-off.

With phase lead, the switch that is turning off hands the current over to the diode in the leg that is about to turn on. The switch doesn't get zero current turn-off, but it gets zero voltage and current turn-on and the diode gets soft recovery.

When I think about it, I guess phase lead gives the cleanest waveform because the IGBT turn-off is the slowest part of the whole process, slower than the turn-on or the diode recovery, so it generates less high frequency energy. This doesn't imply that clean waveforms equal efficient operation though, if anything the opposite.
Ash Small
Wed Jul 09 2014, 07:54PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

I think with phase lag, the current has already commutated to the diode in the bridge leg that is about to turn off. When the other leg turns on, it causes forced recovery of the diode and this generates a large and ugly spike.

Can this spike not be controlled with a simple snubber capacitor across this diode, or would this lead to other problems?
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 09 2014, 08:36PM
Yes, the capacitor would just add to the diode's reverse recovery charge and make things worse.

Snubber capacitors can be used on an IGBT or MOSFET bridge, but not with phase lag. You need phase lead and deadtime. Instead of handing over to the diode, the device that is turning off hands the current over to the capacitor. The switching losses are reduced as the capacitor slows the rate of rise of voltage.

The arrangement is called quasi-resonant or sometimes Class-DE.
Uspring
Thu Jul 10 2014, 09:27AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Yes, exactly. In the case of phase lead, the tank current takes over the recharging of parasitic capacitances, while in the case of lag, the turning on transistor will have to do it. The fast turn on times in the latter case leads to spikes, while for phase lead the transistor current during turn off might be reduced by the parasitics.
Ash Small
Thu Jul 10 2014, 11:06AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Ok. I certainly don't intend to go too far OT here, but would faster diodes be sufficient here?
Steve Conner
Thu Jul 10 2014, 11:13AM
The diodes are built into the IGBT bricks, there is no option to change them. tongue They are already as fast and soft recovery as diode technology allows (at the time the old surplus IGBT brick was made)
teravolt
Thu Jul 10 2014, 01:36PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
to bad a big series diode in the couldn't be added to each IGBT drain to block the reversal. do you think that it would help with hard switching

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: