Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High current PSU

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Freitsu
Tue Nov 09 2010, 10:35AM
Freitsu Registered Member #3147 Joined: Sun Aug 29 2010, 10:53AM
I decided to build a regulated PSU of the whole thing, including box!
My dad helped me some with the making of that aluminium box.

Here are the pics:
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

Note the thermostat that you can see bolted onto middle cooling-element, it turns the fan on at +70C and off at +40C. It's usually cold enough under 15A that no fan is needed.

Things to work on is:
- Get bigger smoothing cap! 47000uF 80V isn't enough, voltage REALLY sags while drawing 30A @ 30V.

Current control isn't so accurate but atleast LM723 regulator can keep those 2n3055 transistors from frying!
The schematic for my PSU is taken from this site: Link2 (not my drawings! I stacked more of power transistors)

Adam Munich
Tue Nov 09 2010, 10:56AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Looks pretty good! Check old stereo receivers for smoothing caps, they have huge ones. They're high quality too; can't have hum in your music!

Proud Mary I've never heard that before. A lot of people just say UF though.
Nicko
Tue Nov 09 2010, 11:02AM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

You can always spot a German on electronics forums because they don't write "uF", they use the actual mu symbol. The reason is simply that German keyboards have mu on a key, but everyone else has to remember Alt+016-whatever, so they just type u instead.
I've always liked the way that sensible s/w packages, like LTspice, convert "u" to "µ" in the right places, i.e. for component values.

FWIW, when doing my internship at ITT (actually STL Harlow) I remember using "puff" for pF but always "micro" and "milli" for u & m. "muff" was something completely different...

Cheers
Freitsu
Tue Nov 09 2010, 11:17AM
Thanks Grenadier!
It looks pretty robust, almost like USSR. ;)
Proud Mary
Tue Nov 09 2010, 11:20AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Good work, Freitsu! smile

Freitsu wrote ...

voltage REALLY sags while drawing 30A @ 30V.

It may not suit all users, in all circumstances, and applications, but it is often convenient to use industrial or automotive lead-acid accumulators to meet occasional or intermittent heavy current demands. When not in use, the batteries can be kept float charged, so they are always ready for use.

I also find lead acid cells, such as the Enersys Cyclon* I've pictured below, very convenient as floating X-ray heater supplies in grounded anode configurations, and which you might find useful in your own X-ray work:

1289301508 543 FT0 Enersys Cyclon 2v 8ah 001

* RoHS exempt

Freitsu
Tue Nov 09 2010, 11:39AM
I think I will go the capasitor way, but using sealed lead-acid batteries is not a bad idea eighter!
Tesla Fan
Mon Nov 15 2010, 02:23PM
Tesla Fan Registered Member #3353 Joined: Sat Oct 23 2010, 11:21PM
Hi Freitsu, nice work with the power supply!

I will show you two 24V transormers i have, maybe you can compare the size to find out about the VA rating of yours. The smaller is 700VA and the bigger 1600VA (input is 220V, i assume you have the same in Finland).The small uses 2.5mm wire and the big somewhere about 4.5mm.

1289828989 3353 FT99132 Transformers 1

1289828989 3353 FT99132 Transformers 2

As for the voltage sag, it seems kind of normal to me. 30V x 30A = 900VA which is not a small amount of power. I am pretty sure that it is normal to have a little voltage drop when you get near the max current capability of the transformer. I know for sure that when a 24V transformer (AC circuit) is under heavy load (more than its normal rating), voltage can go down to even 17V.

For example, if you connect a 0.1Ohm resistor to your transformers output, it will "try" to draw 240Amps! Since your transformer is not rated at 6KW, he cannot supply that current and the voltage with sag (big time, since this is practically a shortcircuit for the transformer).

I could be wrong, but be sure of your theory before spending money on bigger caps. smile

angry -- WARNING - "REDNECK's", UNSAFE WAY TO GET AN ESTIMATE OF A TRANSFORMERS VA RATING -- dead
It just occurred to me, you can use that as a (crude, unsafe, vicious) way to get a rough estimate of your transformer rating: If you have a multimeter, monitor the primary current draw (eg connect it is series with one of 220V input cables) and for only a second shortcircuit the secondary. Then you can meause the exact main voltage and multiply the two numbers to get the VA rating (4,5A at 220V = ~1000VA). Actually you will get a bigger number, as all transformers can be over-loaded to some extent, and ONLY for a very very short period. I know, i know it is cruel, and i assume you have the skills to do that without blowing up you multimeter or killing yourself (mains 220V are involved).
dead -- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK as a last resort method only -- cry
Steve Conner
Mon Nov 15 2010, 03:14PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The short circuit method will give you an answer about 10 times bigger than the real VA rating. I just go with 100VA per kg weight. smile
Tesla Fan
Mon Nov 15 2010, 03:54PM
Tesla Fan Registered Member #3353 Joined: Sat Oct 23 2010, 11:21PM
Thanks for the correction Mr. McConner smile , i guess it is a useless method after all... sad
pauleddy
Tue Nov 16 2010, 02:19AM
pauleddy Registered Member #2909 Joined: Wed Jun 09 2010, 12:31AM
you need one of these caps
140000UF 50vdc
Bigcap004

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: