All today's birthdays', congrats!
Dalus (34)
Kizmo (37)

Next birthdays
05/22 Skynet (32)
05/22 syntroniks (15)
05/22 Powerfulman (27)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My new CNC - COMPLETED

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
IntraWinding
Thu Jul 15 2010, 01:25PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Great stuff.

I'm a big fan of PTFE, but I haven't tried the graphite loaded stuff. I'm getting my first lathe later this year - sorry, just a mini-lathe - yours looks big enough to build a lorry!

Is there good software out there that you'll be able to use to control your mill?

-

It's just called a Tap, that's what confused me smile Link2

Killa-X
Fri Jul 16 2010, 02:04AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Looking good! I get my Nema 23's tomorrow :D Working on a laser carving CNC machine to be used with a 60W CO2 laser for slow-cutting acrylic and engraving.

What program are you going to use? I decided on Mach 3
IntraWinding
Fri Jul 16 2010, 02:26AM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Mach 3 is the one I keep seeing mentioned everywhere.
Killa-X
Fri Jul 16 2010, 04:41AM
Probably because it's easy to set up, runs on windows XP/Vista/7. It installs a driver so it can manage your ports without any issues. It cannot drive phase motors, so you need a special driver. I made a driver of decaders and counters so when it will work with my NEMA 23.

The output for motors, in Moch 3, you assign ports to Step and Direction. I think it's free? I might have got a demo if it wasnt, because I downloaded it off their site and installed it to a old Dell 4600
Dr. H.
Fri Jul 16 2010, 05:21AM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Hi guys

Sorry about the confusion with the tap ... frown

About the software - I've been using Mach3 for a LOOONG time and I am really happy with it. The only thig is that if you are going to do big speeds - you need a relatively "fast" PC - in the range of 1.5+Gh. I've used a 800mhz and I had problems above 700mm/s - the software begins to "jerks" and the movement of the mill isn't smooth anymore. The free version will take up to 1000 lines of code if I remember correctly.

Another program that I used in the beginning was the TurboCNC - the advantage is that it takes control over the parallel port without using special drivers, but It had some problems with the G90 and G91 commands.

Killa-X - the CO2 engraver sounds great - post some pics if it is not a secret project smile

About different drivers for stepper motors (DIY) - for newer motors - the chopper type IC drivers is my personal best. It is just a single chip, capable of micro stepping, up to few amps of current. It just have step/dir inputs and everything else is in the IC (except the current feedback resistors). TA8435H comes to my mind in the moment. It costs in the range of 10$ here.

Other driver I used is the LiniStepper - a GREAT driver. There is a BIG site devoted to it - so plenty of info.

Now - on the progress of the mill - yesterday after a whole day of work we've erected the supports smile And surprisingly it needed a very little centering.

1279257671 931 FT92565 Pic 7150

1279257671 931 FT92565 Pic 7151
Killa-X
Fri Jul 16 2010, 06:49AM
Its more a future set. I have a source to get a 60W CO2 laser and power supply. I might have to cool it my self with some peltier or something.

For now, I'm starting the project with a 1W blue laser for tuning the machine until I get a hold of the 60W. Will use it for cutting thin plastics maybe, and etching words/decals in wood...plastic..PVC..anything

I too started with TurboCNC! Then I installed XP and no longer can do a MS-DOS boot. Then I got Mach 3 and found it doesn't work with my stepper type, so I have to make a driver.

Hope yours comes along good, Mines just going to be an X-Y
Th
This schematic is for 1 stepper connection with MACH 3
rp181
Fri Jul 16 2010, 10:42AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I have used a commercial 40W laser a lot, 40W is only good for engraving. It can cut thin plastics, the hardest I have ever cut was 1/16" garolite, it had a tough time getting through that. It ran about 1" a sec (.8% speed on their scale), and I had to run it again at around 2" a sec to get some points it missed).
Killa-X
Fri Jul 16 2010, 04:29PM
rp181 wrote ...

I have used a commercial 40W laser a lot, 40W is only good for engraving. It can cut thin plastics, the hardest I have ever cut was 1/16" garolite, it had a tough time getting through that. It ran about 1" a sec (.8% speed on their scale), and I had to run it again at around 2" a sec to get some points it missed).

Hmmm, I seen videos of 50W cutting acrylic that was 1/4" thick.
Link2
So I figured for me, doing probably a max of 1/4" 60W will be plenty :)
rp181
Fri Jul 16 2010, 04:58PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Oops. I should have been more clear. It will probably cut 1/4" acrylic, I was speaking of harder materials like garolite.
For some runs, I would suggest making several lower power passes to prevent burning. Here is some 1/16" FR4 garolite.
Dr. H.
Mon Jul 19 2010, 07:43PM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Hi guys

I've been working on the electronics for more than a month now and it is starting to get together now smile

The servo controller is based on the Elm Chan's design.

1279568620 931 FT92565 Pic 7093

1279568620 931 FT92565 Pic 7127

1279568620 931 FT92565 Pic 7128
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: