Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Magnetic levitation

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
TheMerovingian
Mon May 08 2006, 02:37PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
How it exactly works? The two sensors are placed in a way to have the same flux and then subtracted to obtain a zero (equilibrium signal) but with a coil current different from zero. When a magnet or a ferrous material approaches the bottom sensor the flux increases and having the sensor on the noninverting opamp input causes the current to decrease setting the active equilibrium. So also we need an offset setting to set the "no load" magnet current, does it is right?
Marko
Mon May 08 2006, 02:52PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Maybe you could make it levitate another levitator instead of that board, pick the power from the coil and levitate another small magnet...
Tesladownunder
Mon May 08 2006, 02:59PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I suspect the lead compensation is dependent on the resting frequency of oscillation of the levitated mass. This will vary with the mass so you may find that a smaller mass like the battery you were using before might still be OK. Presumably bigger mass needs bigger cap.

Try levitating a non-magnetic object like a metal nut. I have levitated a wrench but couldn't keep it stable.

Peter
Wolfram
Mon May 08 2006, 03:08PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
CJK2, what sensors did you use on it?

Self Defenestrate
Mon May 08 2006, 09:37PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
A quick thought, the system is a one sided transformer, so perhaps you could build a levitating peice with a coil inside, and power some l.e.d.'s in midair.
Part Scavenger
Mon May 08 2006, 10:30PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
The levitator IR LED circuit was one of the first circuits that I ever attempted. It never worked well due to lack of a good object to levitate, and changing light made it cranky. Yours is much cooler! cheesey
cjk2
Mon May 08 2006, 10:51PM
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
TheMerovingian wrote ...

How it exactly works? The two sensors are placed in a way to have the same flux and then subtracted to obtain a zero (equilibrium signal) but with a coil current different from zero. When a magnet or a ferrous material approaches the bottom sensor the flux increases and having the sensor on the noninverting opamp input causes the current to decrease setting the active equilibrium. So also we need an offset setting to set the "no load" magnet current, does it is right?

Yes, the output of the two sensors are subtracted from eachother so we see just the difference caused by the magnet. This voltage is then amplified up to 20 times, them fed through the lead compensator and amplified 10 times more. This "offset" would idealy be 0v and would cause the 494 to put out around a 90% on time duty cycle. In real life, the opamps can't get down to 0v so the actual voltage the DTC pin of the 494 sees is about .6v. This works out just fine, because it limits the max duty cycle to about 80% on. This keeps things from overheating.

Firkragg wrote ...

Maybe you could make it levitate another levitator instead of that board, pick the power from the coil and levitate another small magnet...

Interesting idea, maybe ill try it sometime.

Tesladownunder wrote ...

I suspect the lead compensation is dependent on the resting frequency of oscillation of the levitated mass. This will vary with the mass so you may find that a smaller mass like the battery you were using before might still be OK. Presumably bigger mass needs bigger cap.

Try levitating a non-magnetic object like a metal nut. I have levitated a wrench but couldn't keep it stable.

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now installed a small socket so I can easily change out cap values. With a little playing with, I can probably make it more stable. It can levitate nonmagnetic objects but it draws alot of power(like 40w in the picture below). It actually seems pretty stable this way.

Anders M. wrote ...

CJK2, what sensors did you use on it?

The sensors are UGN3503U. I got them on ebay for $.75 each.

Self_Defenestrate wrote ...

A quick thought, the system is a one sided transformer, so perhaps you could build a levitating peice with a coil inside, and power some l.e.d.'s in midair.

I tryed that but as soon as the coil gets more than 1/2" away, the led goes out. I think it will take another set of coils runing at a higher frequency to get the power any good distance.

Part Scavenger wrote ...

The levitator IR LED circuit was one of the first circuits that I ever attempted. It never worked well due to lack of a good object to levitate, and changing light made it cranky. Yours is much cooler! cheesey

Thanks!

Well I hope I anwsered all the questions, feel free to ask if you have any more.

Forgot to attach this....
maglev7.jpg
Wolfram
Tue May 09 2006, 09:31AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
How much weight can it hold?
TheMerovingian
Tue May 09 2006, 10:13AM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
Yes, the output of the two sensors are subtracted from eachother so we see just the difference caused by the magnet. This voltage is then amplified up to 20 times, them fed through the lead compensator and amplified 10 times more. This "offset" would idealy be 0v and would cause the 494 to put out around a 90% on time duty cycle. In real life, the opamps can't get down to 0v so the actual voltage the DTC pin of the 494 sees is about .6v. This works out just fine, because it limits the max duty cycle to about 80% on. This keeps things from overheating.

I will limit the duty using the second tl494 comparator ( limiting the duty a 33% approx, correspondoing to 4A approx).

But would not the magnet suffer flux walking? Since each cicle che current does not fall to zero (dampner diode) che next cicle it will rise higher even with limited duty cicle. Wouldn't be necessary a current-mode control to avoid saturation? (this excludes the tl494 though.. frown

)

I will try some calculations or spice simulations
Reaching
Tue May 09 2006, 10:28AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
mhh, thats a really cool project, im very impressed.
i tried many different ways to levitate an object but with poor results.
does anyone know if its possible to levitate a copper or aluminium disc stable via eddy currents(induction)?
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: