Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Curses! SMDs...

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Tue Oct 20 2009, 02:36PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Yay, do you have any in TO-36 packages? Link2

I first saw these in an old marine radio transmitter I was dismantling, there were a pair of them driving the high level modulator.

No TO-36s, Steve, I'm sorry. But some TO-3, and various tubby-looking Russian PNP germanium power types (150W) whose base numbers I couldn't even begin to guess at! You could probably get 100 SMDs into the same volume.
Conundrum
Tue Oct 20 2009, 05:47PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Coronafix wrote ...

Makes me wonder how many home hobbyists give up in frustration because they can't get a circuit to work no matter how many times they check their work. And it's probably a mislabelled chip.

Indeed. Or a counterfeit one (see the other thread). Particularly bad if its an expensive chip not easily obtained, the temptation of buying them from less reputable suppliers is very high.

EPE should run another article on identifying these.

-A
aonomus
Tue Oct 20 2009, 07:00PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
This is the second counterfeit/labelling fail thread in a while... its starting to get quite common, and I'm weary of ebaying power semiconductors now too.

And its hard to even give one specific seller a bad rep, cause they will just reopen a new store under some other name. Perhaps we should put together a list of reputable dealers?
Nicko
Tue Oct 20 2009, 08:14PM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
aonomus wrote ...

This is the second counterfeit/labelling fail thread in a while... its starting to get quite common, and I'm weary of ebaying power semiconductors now too.
This most definitely NOT a "counterfeit/labelling fail thread" - it's a mispacking error by one of the largest trade electronic suppliers in the world.

I doubt very much that Farnell (or RS/DigiKey/Newark etc.) would ever knowingly sell fakes - it'd completely ruin their businesses.

This is a straight QC issue.
Proud Mary
Tue Oct 20 2009, 08:41PM
Nicko wrote ...

aonomus wrote ...

This most definitely NOT a "counterfeit/labelling fail thread" - it's a mispacking error by one of the largest trade electronic suppliers in the world.

I doubt very much that Farnell (or RS/DigiKey/Newark etc.) would ever knowingly sell fakes - it'd completely ruin their businesses.

This is a straight QC issue.

I must say, Farnell aren't cheap, but I've always found them completely reliable.
Steve Conner
Tue Oct 20 2009, 09:12PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, let's not accuse Farnell of selling fake components. They might not be big in the USA, but they're huge in Europe, and a preferred supplier for lots of businesses, including the university where I work, and the two places I worked before that.

But they do make mistakes. The best one I ever got was a length of tape cut from a reel that was supposed to contain 0603 ceramic capacitors. I say "supposed" because in fact it was completely empty.

Harry: You should post pix of your Russian germanium transistors trampling some SOT23s to death.
Proud Mary
Tue Oct 20 2009, 10:49PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Harry: You should post pix of your Russian germanium transistors trampling some SOT23s to death.

Did I mis-hear? SOD23?
Conundrum
Sun Nov 01 2009, 11:40PM
Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

its possible for *any* supplier to sell counterfeit parts by accident, it only takes one bad OEM to contaminate many parts bins.

I'd be wary of buying high value parts where there is the slightest doubt, as there is a lot of money involved.

best bet is to visually and electrically check a random sample of the component under typical datasheet conditions, and confirm it is within specs.

Proud Mary
Mon Nov 02 2009, 03:06AM
Conundrum wrote ...

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

Link2

its possible for *any* supplier to sell counterfeit parts by accident, it only takes one bad OEM to contaminate many parts bins.

I'd be wary of buying high value parts where there is the slightest doubt, as there is a lot of money involved.

best bet is to visually and electrically check a random sample of the component under typical datasheet conditions, and confirm it is within specs.

Too small to illustrate.
Conundrum
Mon Nov 02 2009, 09:18PM
lol...
Needless to say, I will be double checking all new parts I get from ebay/etc to make sure they are what they appear.

i've had a few failed DIL chips before, never considered that they might have been fake/mismarked.
-A

"Bother" said Pooh, as the LHC's magnets quenched AGAIN!!!!
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: