Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction heater (featuring my new PLL driver :-O)

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Tue Oct 21 2008, 12:23PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Air core would work, but it would spread the field out everywhere and be rather large in order to keep the amount of turns down. In a pinch it will work fine, but it's not something that's easy to build into a compact setup.

Update news on this project: I've got a piece of copper tubing, and a soon to be obso1337 water cooling pump. Oh, and two-hundred 22nF capacitors. I'll wind a tighter coil with only a few turns this time, and see if I can't melt some metal.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Oct 22 2008, 08:25AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I think that's awsome! I'm trying to push RF power right now too and its really difficult sometimes, my case I need clean sine, but I think induction is really cool too.

Keep it up! Hope to see an RF induction foundry soon! ^^
Raka
Tue Dec 02 2008, 06:53PM
Raka Registered Member #1838 Joined: Tue Dec 02 2008, 06:01PM
Uzzors I just build your circuit, and Im very impressed with it. Id like to ask a couple of questions about it. I noticed that you supply the 4046 with 12V, according to the datasheet the maximum supply voltage should be 7V. Have you encountered any problems with that? Secondly, the resonant freq of my circuit seems to increase as I increase the voltage on the supply rail with my variac. Is that normal? The frequency goes to high for the LM393 to keep up. Lastly, Im wondering what can be done to make the work coil a bit saver. It seems rather dangerous to have a coil with several hundreds of volts bare
uzzors2k
Tue Dec 02 2008, 10:21PM
Welcome to the Forum, Raka! You must have used a 74HC chip, they're only good for 5V or 7V max. The standard type works up to 15 or 20V. I can't remember how the frequency varies with power on mine, but the change in resonant frequency sounds normal. Does it keep locked, or is it regulating when the frequency increases? What's the resonant frequency of your tank circuit? When locked the waveform will be a clean sinewave. For shielding the coil from an accident simply placing the it in a ceramic flower pot would work.
Raka
Wed Dec 03 2008, 06:02PM
Thanks for the speedy reply. My biggest handicap is that I don’t have an oscilloscope, so I can’t say for sure if the circuit is locked. Ive measured for flyback current through the protection diodes, across my FET’s and there is practically no current, so I think it must be locked to resonance. Also, the frequency is very stable and reacts to me placing a load in the coil, which makes me trust that the circuit is locked. I calculated the resonant frequency to be 187KHz. So I made that the free running frequency of the 4046. When I increase the supply rail voltage, the frequency starts approximately at 187 KHz and gradually increases to 191 KHz as the supply rail goes from 0 to about 80V. Any more power and the frequency drop rapidly and become unstable. If Im not mistaken that is due to the LM393 that cant keep up. If there is a sizable load in the coil this does not happen and the power can be increased all the way to 320V. Mabye the current limiter needs tuning? As for the ceramic pot to isolate the coil: I was also thinking in that direction, but Ive never seen any photos of people isolating the work coil in that manner and that made me wonder if there is some other reason for not covering the coil.
uzzors2k
Wed Dec 03 2008, 10:07PM
Sounds more like the tank voltage limiter kicking in. It's a pity you don't have a scope to watch the circuit work, but a load "loads" down the tank circuit, reducing the voltage across it. Counterintuitively, a load also reduces the current drawn from the inverter. Do you know how large your PLL range is? It should go up to 250kHz or so, just to give enough regulation margin. You are right about the LM393 of course, and unless you want to lower the tank's resonant frequency finding a faster op-amp might be a good idea. The LM393 was sort of usable at 100kHz, but at twice that the delays starting making up 25% of the waveform.
GeordieBoy
Thu Dec 04 2008, 04:57PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
> It seems rather dangerous to have a coil with several hundreds of volts bare,

The induction heating voltages and currents themselves are relatively safe due to the high-frequency, at least for small systems. However the work-coil is not safe to touch if it is connected through the inverter to the mains line with no isolation. Such a connection imposes low frequency mains voltage on top of the HF induction heating voltage and presents a significant shock hazard.

The easiest ways to achieve galvanic isolation between the mains line and the work coil are:

1. Use a 50Hz mains transformer to supply the inverter.

2. Use an HF ferrite transformer between the output of the inverter and the input of the matching network.

In the later case the transformer will be smaller and lighter. It also has the additional benefits that it's Secondary-side leakage inductance partially contributes to the L-match inductance, and multiple taps can be employed to adjust impedance matching.

In the case of the HF transformer placed as stated, the huge circulating current in the work-coil is kept out of the ferrite transformer. This eases the transformer design because water cooled windings are not necessary.

-Richie,
Raka
Thu Dec 04 2008, 07:23PM
Thanks for all the advice. I recon the best thing to do would be to wind more windings on the work coil, there is room for plenty since I only have four windings. At the moment I can’t do much testing since Im busy fitting the circuit into a box, and I need to have the circuit at my workshop. Ill try to post some pics during the weekend to add some colour to the topic.

Richie, how suitable is the ferrite core found on a cathode ray tube of a television for isolating the work coil from mains. I have access to loads of those.

Have a lovely weekend
GeordieBoy
Thu Dec 04 2008, 07:54PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
It is core-cross section and material grade that is important for power handling. That found in the line output stage of a TV is likely not capable of handling the required power. It will also likely overheat if run much above its design frequency of 16kHz.

Something like an ETD44 or ETD49 core set in 3C90 or 3F3 material should be good for more than a kilowatt when wound with litz.

-Richie,
Raka
Sat Dec 06 2008, 02:12PM
Here’s the promised pics
1228572733 1838 FT49746 Pc070063

1228572733 1838 FT49746 P1220299

1228572733 1838 FT49746 P1220277

1228572733 1838 FT49746 Pc070057

1228572733 1838 FT49746 Pc070060

1228572733 1838 FT49746 Pc070068
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: