All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Odin The All-Fragger: a large DRSSTC

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Wed Mar 22 2006, 10:32AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
just wanted to add my admiration!
a very nice layout / construction.
I like the way you minimise inductance
I've had wires going through heatsinks to attempt the same, not very good frown
good luck (though you need it less than most of us!)
and keep us posted.
Adam Horden
Wed Mar 22 2006, 02:15PM
Adam Horden Registered Member #176 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:35PM
Hi Steve,

Nice work looks very professional. Are those lytics in half a RS equipment enclosure? I have seen something simular shappped with the cut outs on the side in the RS cat.

At least some one is finally using some of the lytics I had and a big coil is been built! cheesey

How are you connecting the gate drive to the bricks?

Adam
Steve Conner
Wed Mar 22 2006, 04:05PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi Adam

Yes it's an old case from RS smile I got it from a junk pile at the uni. It seems like a weird way to mount the caps, but it actually worked out easier than buying the big oversized capacitor clamps and cutting big holes in a piece of sheet metal.

I'm using outboard gate drivers, they will connect to the IGBTs via about 4" of ribbon cable with alternate cores connected to gate and emitter to give extra low inductance... I don't do the I word man wink It turned out too much of a hassle to mount the drivers straight to the IGBTs, considering I want to use the same gate driver boards with CM600s in the future, and their gate terminals are in totally different places.

The drivers will connect back to the PLL unit using Cat5 network cables with the little 8-way modular jacks because they're cheap.
Adam Horden
Wed Mar 22 2006, 08:10PM
Hi Steve,

**digs out notebook**

Its a nice idea and all your layouts look really low inductance. Do you apply the math to work out the actual inductance of the layout? I tried it on the one I will discuss below but I got really small numbers and decided that those could not be right!

I have all the parts to still build a big CM600 bridge. The modules would be built with smds and inside a can with BNC connectors to connect them to the driver and would bolt direct to a CM600.

The layout I decided on was simular to yours but imagine it been on its side with the bridge flat.

The bridge was a huge long length of heatsink like on your OLTC2 the same stuff. The bricks would have a laminated bus scheme but the caps on there side and bolted in mid air across the laminate. You end up with 6 electrolics across a low inductance laminate bus scheme. The DC in would bolt direct to a IRPACK SCR moudle the dual ones. Eveything lies flat with the caps horizonal to the bricks that are vertical.

The whole system would of been nice to build with lots of thick copper busbar. I also designed in a method of mounting polyester excel decoupling caps in there.

I still have 6 brand new cm600s and most of the design work done on the bridge. And I think I have a tray of caps left.

Adam
Steve Conner
Mon Mar 27 2006, 10:31AM
Hi Adam

No I don't calculate the inductance. I just know that the less area enclosed by the loop that the current flows in (ie the closer together the conductors are) the better. It doesn't really take much more effort to make a low inductance layout than an ordinary one.

If you want to build a 600A bridge for "Team Odin" you would be more than welcome! We could fire it up at Cambridge sometime. I think they can bring in 400V three phase power for us without too much hassle.
Part Scavenger
Wed Mar 29 2006, 03:46AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
OH YEAH! This is gonna be good. Doc Conner building another DRSSTC! cheesey
I look forward to this. You do great work man!

/*drooling over setup*
Adam Horden
Wed Mar 29 2006, 11:17AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Hi Adam

No I don't calculate the inductance. I just know that the less area enclosed by the loop that the current flows in (ie the closer together the conductors are) the better. It doesn't really take much more effort to make a low inductance layout than an ordinary one.

If you want to build a 600A bridge for "Team Odin" you would be more than welcome! We could fire it up at Cambridge sometime. I think they can bring in 400V three phase power for us without too much hassle.

Hi Steve,

I will build up a bridge with the parts I have.

Adam
Steve Conner
Sun Apr 02 2006, 11:12PM
I've updated the first post with details of the new driver boards.
robert
Mon Apr 03 2006, 05:23PM
robert Registered Member #188 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 05:18PM
Wow, looks nice.
Though i would do something about getting better isolation barriers, i always like to have at least 8mm for anything line-connected (well, might be because im currently doing PCB layouts for off-line SMPS things).
So id use optos with 10.6mm lead spacing (like PC817 or CNY81) or just bend your standard DIP to this larger spacing.
To save space, use 4-pinned ones, also reduces the chance of EMI pickup on the base lead (can be a large problem in noisy environments).
Steve Conner
Sun Apr 16 2006, 11:51AM
Update: I finished the gate driver layout and also revised the main PLL board layout, and ordered a batch of each from Gold Phoenix. I expect to get 8 PLL boards and about 30 gate drivers.

Robert: I chose to use 6-pin optos because they bring the base lead out, so I could tie it to the emitter with a resistor in an attempt to make it less sensitive to EMI. :P And because 4N35s are pretty cheap I suppose.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: