Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Improved single transistor flyback driver

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Wed Jan 23 2008, 12:35PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
If I had to build a blocking oscillator like that, first thing I'd do is to use a small saturable current transformer for feedback instead of saturating the power transformer's core. That should help efficiency especially with slower transistors.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 23 2008, 04:30PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Marko wrote ...

If I had to build a blocking oscillator like that, first thing I'd do is to use a small saturable current transformer for feedback instead of saturating the power transformer's core. That should help efficiency especially with slower transistors.
Marko, if I wanted to go one complexity step higher I would use a 555 driving a MOSFET wink Really this is just a "extension" of the classic STFD and it can push approx. 3 times as much power through the flyback without the transistor exploding smile

DuartmaN, do you mean driving the coil from the output of the flyback? If so, this would work but you need to rectify the flyback (if you already don't have a rectified one).

flannelhead
Wed Jan 23 2008, 05:36PM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
Can this circuit produce dangerous currents if a small FBT and 12V is used? I really wanna build this circuit but first I want to know how dangerous it is.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 23 2008, 06:07PM
spark wrote ...

Can this circuit produce dangerous currents if a small FBT and 12V is used? I really wanna build this circuit but first I want to know how dangerous it is.
No circuit is dangerous if you observe safety precautions smile (like draw arcs to earthed wire and stay away from the HV output) I think not too dangerous currents are involved, probably below 20mA on the output.

I still need to fix the schematic, this 0.68 cap is too big, probably around 0.33 to 0.47 would be better. And to add that the flyback must use an air gap.

Littlew
Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:11PM
Littlew Registered Member #1448 Joined: Sat Apr 19 2008, 01:16PM
Wow
I'll try to made this circuit at holidays
Tonic
Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:43PM
Tonic Registered Member #528 Joined: Fri Feb 16 2007, 10:32PM
If we're back on topic, let me ask one thing - how diode and capacitor improve this circuit? I guess that capacitor bypasses spikes to supply rails, but diode? At first glance I thought that it bypasses current from primary's magnetic field to negative and helps with heating transistors, but diode is placed in way that blocks this current, so I have no clue what it does.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Apr 21 2008, 07:05PM
Tonic wrote ...

If we're back on topic, let me ask one thing - how diode and capacitor improve this circuit? I guess that capacitor bypasses spikes to supply rails, but diode? At first glance I thought that it bypasses current from primary's magnetic field to negative and helps with heating transistors, but diode is placed in way that blocks this current, so I have no clue what it does.
The diode is there to extend the transistor's life - bipolar transistors don't like negative spikes on collector (I believe this is the reason why it sometimes fails in the original circuit).

The cap and the primary winding form a parallel resonant circuit and the driver starts to operate in "pseudo class E" mode, not exact Class E switching, but it improves performance greatly and decreases transistor heating (mainly because it has more time to turn off - Toff switching losses are minimised).

Firefox
Wed Apr 23 2008, 12:41AM
Firefox Registered Member #1389 Joined: Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:50AM
I recently tried this circuit after my first few HV projects (two Tesla coils and three CW multipliers-threads to come) when a friend was getting rid of an old CRT monitor. My flyback is the crappy encased kind, but overlooking that it is rated for 26kV output with a 2A 250V input. However, being new to the hobby I didn't have any buckets of the seemingly abundant 2N3055, so I went searching through my broken computer PSU and other boards looking for a suitable replacement, and came across what I think is a real find in the Sanyo 2SC4106. While it is only rated for 7A collector current and 3A base current, the C-B rating is 500V and the C-E rating is 400V. E-B is 7V. The performance with 12V at up to 6A (computer PSU) in is reasonable with arcs starting at 1-3mm and drawing to 10-15mm, I would really like opinions on how far I can push the input with this transistor. The resistors are a chain and a bank of various 3-7 watt resistors (Req are 465 ohms and 22 ohms and are made up of 6 resistors each) so there is no worry of burning them out before anything else. Answers?
teravolt
Wed Apr 23 2008, 01:48AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
the circuit looks like a class E tesla circuit and the 8 primary turns and .68uf cap detemins the oscillating frequency. if the biasing were changed why not use a mosfet insted if it cuold be made to oscillate
Antonio
Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:05AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
This circuit does not require core saturation to work. The current in the transistor is interrupted when it leaves saturation. The oscillation frequency does not depend significantly on the capacitor, that just widens the pulse that appears at the collector when the transistor cuts the current. It can be smaller. I recommend adding another diode in series with a zener diode between emitter and base of the transistor, to avoid excessive inverse voltages there.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: